A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind

well you can add another 2 pieces of threaded rod holding the steel in shape. bolt a piece of aluminium to the steel and thread it since there is no room for a nut in the middle part

of course i used wood now but it can be a super structure of your liking :)

something in the line of steel u shape or aluminium extrusion machine profiles ? easy to assemble and easy to line up

Hello my friend,
Your concept is interesting. ;)
I'm kinda stuck at the "u"reinforcement bars... Do you know any lightweight alternative to the reinforcements that i use now? They are kind of bulky and heavy..
I'm searching for an alternative but found almost nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Sergiu

This looks fabulous, it´ll be a great motor!

Hello Solhaga,
I have a one more thing to ask you please. Can you simulate the case bellow?
I am curious if an adenum of the same steel on the back of the magnets will short circuit the magnetic motor or will increase the field strenght in the gap and ads resistance to the hole motor structure..

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Sergiu

Attachments

• AMT 2016-09-20 07_11_57_zpsztuixdl1.jpg
    AMT 2016-09-20 07_11_57_zpsztuixdl1.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 581
it does not work like a horseshoe magnet you will have to make 2 L shapes and sanwitch between the end of the L , hard to explain. Anyways if I remember correctly all the field will go to where you shorted the magnet. :(

Thank you my friend. Indeed i was thinking at the very old electromagnet speakers or alnico's like the one bellow. I thought it was a good ideea. Sad..

Attachments

• emi alnico speaker.jpg
    emi alnico speaker.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 484
Tadman i do not sell. This ruban (mine) is for my own listening pleasure ;):cool::drink:. I'm too busy to make another pair for now. My family just got bigger ;)....

Anyway. I just found a sollution for the wood problem. I made diy H frames from the T's that i allready got. It seems that the specially treated oak got squashed (1mm the left side and 1 mm the right side) by the pulling force, so i remained with just 2 mm gap and the membranes rubbed. This week i will reassemble the motor back.

Will post pics tomorrow. I'm glad that i finally found a sollution.

I think i modeled that one before and iT Will short iT :(

Hello my friend,
I forgot to post a pic with the 15 inch woofer+ ruban. After the listening sessions i dissasembled th ruban to make the final coils and seen that the gap was smaller and rubbing as i sayed earlyier. Here are some measurements. The mic was at the level of the frame of the 15 " bass and after i measured the bass, i positionned the mic perpendicullary, on axis at the level of the round edges of the ruba cils, with the bass disconected, to measure the laq+wax almost finall version prototype ruba..
I listened to this interesting combo and making adjustments for about 2 hours then diassembly everithing. The filtering was second order for bass and first order for ruba(300hz cutting point). The ruba was positionned 10cm in the back (still on axis with the bass) for my bass tastes to be fullfilled :drink: .
The sound was very powerfull (at 10W mono@jlh 69 amp @75% volume from the phone), in a way that i could barelly hear my wife speaking (from almost a meter a way, where she was) :rolleyes: in a listening room of 20sqm at 3 m away from the speakers. The sound quality was even more staggerring now with the adenum of the bass. Its pitty that the ruban cant go lower than 150~200hz. Its interesting how the bass contures and spices everithing up.
Cheers
Sergiu

Ps: the measurements where made with no filtering. I cutted the frequencies from REW, then joined the graphs togheter.

Attachments

• laq+wax (green) vs my 15 inch woofer (red).jpg
    laq+wax (green) vs my 15 inch woofer (red).jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:
ah well solved :) he is buying a janus :) hehe , or considering i must say

i would not buy any of these for hefty amounts of money unless there are measurements. but hell everyone there own :)

Hello my friend,
How are you? Did you abandonned the ruba project?
My progress is pretty slow till now... I painted the rubas metal skeleton in deep black, dampened the core, and tighten, and glued everithing up for the finall assembly.
I also made a test coil to see if i will have to use more glue or less and to test everithing up. If all is ok i will make my finall coils and assembly.
Also i made a new housing for the mic phantom and preamp wich is completelly shielded in a carbon steel 1.5 mm case. Everything is shielded and well bolted now.

Cant wait to listen to this test ruban and make the final ones.

Cheers
Sergiu

Hiii Serg , I'm doing fine thank you ! You to? Well I'm busy with some planars and fixing the quads, rubas are on the back burner but I will revisit them sometime suminceci got a new measuring mic , my umik cal file or mic was broken. Always had a roll off at 15 kHz in most of the designs , so it happens my mic had as well :( I bought a isemcon mic now :) pretty pleased with it

Hiii Serg , I'm doing fine thank you ! You to? Well I'm busy with some planars and fixing the quads, rubas are on the back burner but I will revisit them sometime suminceci got a new measuring mic , my umik cal file or mic was broken. Always had a roll off at 15 kHz in most of the designs , so it happens my mic had as well :( I bought a isemcon mic now :) pretty pleased with it

I'm fine and back on track. I know my friend about your mic. I did read about your issue from your other thread..
To be honest i tought you had some mic problems because last year i made some small rubas, smaller than yours, and they had insanelly big amount of hights (measured and heard) and they where 5cm smaller than yours. You should have had with your 30cm ruba a smaller amount of hights (dB's speaking) and 20khz and up at least, but instead your mic didnt showed them.
I had that 15khz peak also when my mic had a bad .cal file, but now, with this cal file from the behringer site dont have it anymore (i still have those 1khz region dips but they are smaller), and everything is flatter, even my old 30year refurbished with new magnets and filters russian tento speakers have almost the same graph as they where 30years ago from factory. This is a sign that i'm roughfully on track with this cal file but i'm shure that the dB's arent that accurate (the rubas sounds louder).
Anyway i'm now extremelly curious about how your flat rubas measures now. They sounded incredible in the vids.
I'm glad about your new mic. This should light up the things better.

Cheers
Sergiu

Last edited: