A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind

Next step is the elastics wich i wont tell about because is too easy.. I am serious. When you are at the step that i told you about it will be peace of cake. After puting the elastics and tension them right then you can unbolt the membrane from the paper "nails" that i told you earlier. It is very important to allign the coil into the gap perfectly or elese it will distort. But if you follow these steps you will be fine.
Bellow i will atach another pic so you will see how i allign the edge of the paper to the aluminium square bar.
Cheers
Sergiu

Ps: i posted these steps so that other newbies interested people will see and construct.

Here is the earlyer pic that i described in the other post. As you can see it is allign to the Al bar.
Cheers
Sergiu

Attachments

• 1458317913789693404156.jpg
    1458317913789693404156.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 352
nice making some progress. i found out it actually does not change when you tighten the rubber bands. at all! you can do as you please and the measurement wont be different. dont forget that allot of the stuff in the patents are not all true :0 since noone tested it but it sets them asside from another patent.

nice making some progress. i found out it actually does not change when you tighten the rubber bands. at all! you can do as you please and the measurement wont be different. dont forget that allot of the stuff in the patents are not all true :0 since noone tested it but it sets them asside from another patent.

Yes my friend, the thing with the elastics is just what i discovered today. The actual thing it that they should be tensed well (not too hard because it could break the paper) because the membrane of my speaker moved more than 2 mm before it breaked down half an hour ago... :D If the elastics woldnt be tensed well the speaker would have blown from the start.
I know that all that is written there isnt true. Nowbody is that dum to write everyting about they're invention because, in the end, they will sell nothing. Everyone will make a ruban..
In the end thats why whe are diyers Wrine. To break these barriers.
Now in the next post i will share my thoughts and my wife thoughts about this speaker. Stay tuned.
Cheers
Sergiu

Well my friends, its seems that this speaker has ended my search for a very good sound quality speaker.
After my post refering to the issue: centering of the coil, I had just to finish the finishing touches of this speaker, and this means the elastics, solder the coil wires and hook it up to the amp [I have an upgraded 38W sinus continous power (aprox 36w before clip) Jean Hiraga "Super Class A" amplifier]. All this time i compared the rubanoinde with my closed bafle speakers (91dB--60hz to 18khz frecv resp at 8 ohm@40w sinus) wich sounds pretty decent compared to some cheap speakers that are out there in the stores. I dont have any mic yet so i will compare the ruban with just my speakers and listen to the changes as they come and tell you.
Believe me all this time i was expecting nasty resonances, duck voices and not so much hight frecvency responce BUT i was wrong.. Stay tuned with me as i will explain here why.
Listening impressions:
First melody Alan Walker - Faded Flac format@1.2Mb/sec (source Ipod Classic 5.5@ Rockbox moded@ Wolfson WM8758 DAC) : first thing that striked us was the sound that filled the room without any surround sound or 5.1 system and the girl was just like singing at 1 meter in your face, just astonishing. I knew that my amp was known for this feature (natural and in your face) but not like this, this is just at another level. I cranked up the volume just to hear some resonances or spikes, and believe it or not, nothing, nada, niente, just pure sound. I didnt mentioned that it sounded way louder than my 91dB speakers so i have clearly more than 91dB no doubt about that. At the hight frequency responce i had a bit more than 18khz, this was noticeable because the female voice was a bit more crisp in a good way, i can feel now an overall sound more airy more bright than my speakers. I will discuss more about this bellow.
Second melody: Alexandra Usurelu cu Symphonic Pop Orchestra - Acesta-i sufletul meu; link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK0pqMY0HI (source: HTC One M7@1080p) : What a sound!! I could hear those crickets perfectly, the aplause where in the room surrounding us, and the female voice was just asthonishing. I could just pic the instruments, they where very clear, crisp, and you could distinguish very well the instruments. In this melody i could hear very clear all those "clap clap" at 3:36 like they where clapping besides us. You could hear all the instruments very clear just like the real thing like all those people where in your house.
Third melody Alexandra Usurelu cu Symphonic Pop Orchestra - Fuga Pamantului, link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej9eQO4TwQk&index=8&list=RDWDK0pqMY0HI (Ipod Classic): this melody is one of my favourite, BUT here i just wanted to hear only one passage as i know how it sounds on my speakers, from 1:40 and 3:15... This should sound BIG, very disturbing, very profound like in a horror movie very terrifying but on my speakers this passage sounds like an aglomeration of instruments, its like the speakers are strugling and i dont know why. They sound good, dont get me wrong, but i wanted more. Here the ruban comes and smashes my speakers to pieces, even without a bass speaker around (they go pretty deep like 150-200Hz) you could pick the flaut, the violins, the drums aplause and everithing else like nothing, they are very well distinguished, very profound, you could feel the music as in a recording room and i've been in one twice and listen to some music how it was intended to. There was no ringing or nasty spikes, or nasty resonances whatsoever. This speaker makes you feel the music, it transmits the emotions of the singer exactly as he wants you to hear him.
Fourth melodyes Matt Darey - See The Sun (ft. Kate Smith, Aurosonic remix) and Maor Levi feat. Ashley Tomberlin - Chasing Love (Original Mix) (souce Ipod): here i wanted to hear the resolution and hights, the speed, and effects as i listen to trance music also: i can see clearly that this speaker has a better overall clarity and resolution on just everything you throw at it. It just takes the song to another level of detail, clarity, spatiality and depth. It is clear that it has the same level of hights as my speakers. Above 18Khz i couldnt hear more.. (tested on my PC and at a doctor cabinet :D recently when i had both my ears cleaned from wax; sory that i had to mention this).
It is clear that i am at the 18Khz barrier or above with the ruban. It remains to test them with a mic to see clearly how high they go. An interesting thought is that you have seen my coil, you have seen how patched it was, these results where just with that test coil (look at the pics bellow). I am now thinking how would this speaker sound with a better and profi printed coil, or double sided coil as with the double sided coil was the original speaker done.
Fifth melody: Dave Brubeck - Take Five (FLc,856Kbs/sec,Ipod) here i can hear how a trumpet and drums and hights (from that intrument wich i dont remember whats they name in english wich you hit it with the sticks and makes those noisy hights) should be reproduced. Ideed it was like the real thing in my house. Definetly i could hear the same high register as my classic speakers. No resonances at all here.
After almost two hours of music delight i have listened to:
The last melody: Bon Iver - I Can't Make You Love Me / Nick of Time (Flac 1.1MB/sec@Ipod). I wanted so badly to hear some resonances so i throw at the speaker this melody without any filter...Bad , and BIG mistake. Here you could clearly HEAR A PIANO LIVE. Striking sensation, makes my hair raise on my back of my neck. My wife stands up as she is blown away from the sound. You could definetly hear the artist catching his breath and breathing loud and sadly. It is realy impressionant. Than i played this song again and i crank the volume up (aprox maximum volume) to really hear some spikes or some resonances BUT NOTHING :eek::deer::hypno2:. It seems that the cuts in the membrane really does theyr job, i think that the hinges also contributes here as they really kept the coil centered in the gap as she moved more then 2mm (3mm measured with ruler for measuring) in and out. After two painfull minutes of a lot of dB (endurance test) sudently the sound stops. I got quickly to the amp and shutted it down, measured and found all was good except the ruban. I ruined my pleasure, this evenings delight. I think that the coil has smacked from one of my joints because it was too patched. The real pain is that i have to redo a coil wich takes, manually diy, aprox 6 tp 8 hours..:mad::mad::(:sad:.
I think i had luck with the hinges, because i reinforced them with softer glue and another sheet of paper so that the coil will remain permanently centered. Usually in extreme cases like these this peakers coil bends in the gap and short circuit is made if not carefull but not in all cases (the french guys from the french site that i mentioned in my other posts tested these extreme conditions and somethimes bended and some times didnt).
I want to test another model of cuts on the next model I will keep things posted as they come.
I have tryed to reflect the sound coming just from the laterals of the cilinders with some news paper and the voices, resolution and imaging has improved even more. I havent tested to reflect the bottom and top of the cilinders yet because the coil let me down.
It seems that if well damped, used hinges and cuts and a flat coil (not like mine) the speaker shines and rises the hair on your neck.
These are my first impressions. Ah and i forgot to mention that i have a 3mm gap. :D
Cheers
Sergiu

Attachments

• IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 288
Well my friends, its seems that this speaker has ended my search for a very good sound quality speaker.
After my post refering to the issue: centering of the coil, I had just to finish the finishing touches of this speaker, and this means the elastics, solder the coil wires and hook it up to the amp [I have an upgraded 38W sinus continous power (aprox 36w before clip) Jean Hiraga "Super Class A" amplifier]. All this time i compared the rubanoinde with my closed bafle speakers (91dB--60hz to 18khz frecv resp at 8 ohm@40w sinus) wich sounds pretty decent compared to some cheap speakers that are out there in the stores. I dont have any mic yet so i will compare the ruban with just my speakers and listen to the changes as they come and tell you.
Believe me all this time i was expecting nasty resonances, duck voices and not so much hight frecvency responce BUT i was wrong.. Stay tuned with me as i will explain here why.
Listening impressions:
First melody Alan Walker - Faded Flac format@1.2Mb/sec (source Ipod Classic 5.5@ Rockbox moded@ Wolfson WM8758 DAC) : first thing that striked us was the sound that filled the room without any surround sound or 5.1 system and the girl was just like singing at 1 meter in your face, just astonishing. I knew that my amp was known for this feature (natural and in your face) but not like this, this is just at another level. I cranked up the volume just to hear some resonances or spikes, and believe it or not, nothing, nada, niente, just pure sound. I didnt mentioned that it sounded way louder than my 91dB speakers so i have clearly more than 91dB no doubt about that. At the hight frequency responce i had a bit more than 18khz, this was noticeable because the female voice was a bit more crisp in a good way, i can feel now an overall sound more airy more bright than my speakers. I will discuss more about this bellow.
Second melody: Alexandra Usurelu cu Symphonic Pop Orchestra - Acesta-i sufletul meu; link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK0pqMY0HI (source: HTC One M7@1080p) : What a sound!! I could hear those crickets perfectly, the aplause where in the room surrounding us, and the female voice was just asthonishing. I could just pic the instruments, they where very clear, crisp, and you could distinguish very well the instruments. In this melody i could hear very clear all those "clap clap" at 3:36 like they where clapping besides us. You could hear all the instruments very clear just like the real thing like all those people where in your house.
Third melody Alexandra Usurelu cu Symphonic Pop Orchestra - Fuga Pamantului, link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej9eQO4TwQk&index=8&list=RDWDK0pqMY0HI (Ipod Classic): this melody is one of my favourite, BUT here i just wanted to hear only one passage as i know how it sounds on my speakers, from 1:40 and 3:15... This should sound BIG, very disturbing, very profound like in a horror movie very terrifying but on my speakers this passage sounds like an aglomeration of instruments, its like the speakers are strugling and i dont know why. They sound good, dont get me wrong, but i wanted more. Here the ruban comes and smashes my speakers to pieces, even without a bass speaker around (they go pretty deep like 150-200Hz) you could pick the flaut, the violins, the drums aplause and everithing else like nothing, they are very well distinguished, very profound, you could feel the music as in a recording room and i've been in one twice and listen to some music how it was intended to. There was no ringing or nasty spikes, or nasty resonances whatsoever. This speaker makes you feel the music, it transmits the emotions of the singer exactly as he wants you to hear him.
Fourth melodyes Matt Darey - See The Sun (ft. Kate Smith, Aurosonic remix) and Maor Levi feat. Ashley Tomberlin - Chasing Love (Original Mix) (souce Ipod): here i wanted to hear the resolution and hights, the speed, and effects as i listen to trance music also: i can see clearly that this speaker has a better overall clarity and resolution on just everything you throw at it. It just takes the song to another level of detail, clarity, spatiality and depth. It is clear that it has the same level of hights as my speakers. Above 18Khz i couldnt hear more.. (tested on my PC and at a doctor cabinet :D recently when i had both my ears cleaned from wax; sory that i had to mention this).
It is clear that i am at the 18Khz barrier or above with the ruban. It remains to test them with a mic to see clearly how high they go. An interesting thought is that you have seen my coil, you have seen how patched it was, these results where just with that test coil (look at the pics bellow). I am now thinking how would this speaker sound with a better and profi printed coil, or double sided coil as with the double sided coil was the original speaker done.
Fifth melody: Dave Brubeck - Take Five (FLc,856Kbs/sec,Ipod) here i can hear how a trumpet and drums and hights (from that intrument wich i dont remember whats they name in english wich you hit it with the sticks and makes those noisy hights) should be reproduced. Ideed it was like the real thing in my house. Definetly i could hear the same high register as my classic speakers. No resonances at all here.
After almost two hours of music delight i have listened to:
The last melody: Bon Iver - I Can't Make You Love Me / Nick of Time (Flac 1.1MB/sec@Ipod). I wanted so badly to hear some resonances so i throw at the speaker this melody without any filter...Bad , and BIG mistake. Here you could clearly HEAR A PIANO LIVE. Striking sensation, makes my hair raise on my back of my neck. My wife stands up as she is blown away from the sound. You could definetly hear the artist catching his breath and breathing loud and sadly. It is realy impressionant. Than i played this song again and i crank the volume up (aprox maximum volume) to really hear some spikes or some resonances BUT NOTHING :eek::deer::hypno2:. It seems that the cuts in the membrane really does theyr job, i think that the hinges also contributes here as they really kept the coil centered in the gap as she moved more then 2mm (3mm measured with ruler for measuring) in and out. After two painfull minutes of a lot of dB (endurance test) sudently the sound stops. I got quickly to the amp and shutted it down, measured and found all was good except the ruban. I ruined my pleasure, this evenings delight. I think that the coil has smacked from one of my joints because it was too patched. The real pain is that i have to redo a coil wich takes, manually diy, aprox 6 tp 8 hours..:mad::mad::(:sad:.
I think i had luck with the hinges, because i reinforced them with softer glue and another sheet of paper so that the coil will remain permanently centered. Usually in extreme cases like these this peakers coil bends in the gap and short circuit is made if not carefull but not in all cases (the french guys from the french site that i mentioned in my other posts tested these extreme conditions and somethimes bended and some times didnt).
I want to test another model of cuts on the next model I will keep things posted as they come.
I have tryed to reflect the sound coming just from the laterals of the cilinders with some news paper and the voices, resolution and imaging has improved even more. I havent tested to reflect the bottom and top of the cilinders yet because the coil let me down.
It seems that if well damped, used hinges and cuts and a flat coil (not like mine) the speaker shines and rises the hair on your neck.
These are my first impressions. Ah and i forgot to mention that i have a 3mm gap. :D
Cheers
Sergiu

wel nice you enjoyed them :), what crossover did you use ?
since they cant withstand fullrange. btw the coil looks liked you abused it pretty hard. :)
i must say get a UMIK mic since we are comparing apples with peers when we cant measure anything. especially with the 18Khz claim. very often highs are prominent but not so much the extends. so you might hear a huge peak in the 15 Khz range. maybe i am wrong but just saying. also these speaker usually have a way higher efficiency at 800-14000 Hz etc. so measurements are needed :) but im glad you got it working although being it for a short time but it is fun to hear a contraption after so much work.

i dont want wreck a beautiful evening. but when you measure you will see you have some issues in the resonance departement.:) distortion will be high in these places, and not always can be heard on normal music tracks. i tried all the cuts mentioned in all these patents, and for me they did not do much, so i would really like to see they do work in your setup :)

Last edited:
Wrine, i must admit that this was a very interesting experience.. The wrecked coil is what i used from the start, who knows how it looks now because i havent opened it yet. Even if i coudnt hear/measure any peaks (even with stressing piano sounds) the beast sounded darn good. It really impressed me. I didnt use any filter thats why i think i fryed it..
I have two things to try out: first the trianghiular cuts instead of square ones at exterior edges of the coil ( i have seen in patent pics that Lineaum used this sistem in all theyr speakers if you look carefully but they say nothing about them--smart guys)..
And the double sided coils: here i want to see if this sistem (double sided) tames the impedance peaks because it forces the coil to stay in the gap at each stroke (theoretically). I am very curious about this. The french guys say on the other forum that the impedance is almost flat in all the frecv range (wich i dont believe) because they use double sided coil (thats what they think) and i want to give it a try. Maybe its because they use A37 steel and n52 magnets instead of cold rolled aisi1015 and n42 as i did. Who knows. The magnets and steel theory will remaine an issues to test but not for me, because i dont want to invest more in magnets. These magnets are enougght for me, they almost crushed two fingers when assembled the motor structure.
I will say that you are right my friend, there is no doubt that without measurements we are blind althought the speaker seems to mask pretty well the resonances but there must be some. I remember when you measure yours that you have to cut half cilinder to loose some nasty resonances.
I hope that my ears dont trick me in the 18khz department. Me and my wife could see no diferences between my speakers and the ruban in the hights. Odd!! But i can say with the hand on my heart that only measurements will speak for themselfs at this chapter.
Today i want to see the burned coils real shape. :D
Thanks for the encouragements Wrine and i wish to see you ruban soon in action. In the meantime i have to get a good calibrated mic.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Cheers
Sergiu

Last edited:
PLease help, everyone. I need to buy one of these mics. What do you say, wich is best. I have looked for reviews and comparison charts but found nothing that compares them directly. What should i look for? Wich is best:
1. Behringer ECM8000 - Thomann România
2. Superlux ECM 888 B - Thomann România
3. Sonarworks XREF 20 Mic - Thomann România
I need to place an order fast so that they will come monday. I only need them to measure the rubans, and after that, i need to measure my 15 inch bass speakers with and without enclosures and then measure them with filters and pair them.
Any help is good here (software, hardware, measurement impressions).
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Sergiu

Fresh start, new coil, better contact, less laqueur, lower mass, better focus on details. I have to cut now.
Cheers
Sergiu

Ps: i will not post anymore about the construction. I think i have covered it all up. I will post when its finished and assembled.

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 267
nice one :) whats the trace thickness total resistance and the space distance if i may ask? looks like a prety amount of turns.
did you also etched them yourself?
they look nice

Hi WrineX, Hi Sergiu

Thank you for your request.

It's a machined PCB 300 µ thick, with 35 µ standard copper tracks - 16 g weight - 17 turns on each side resulting in about 6 ohms per side. Parallel or serial operation possible.

OndesX

Last edited:
yesterday i build a mini version of the ruba, measuring 21 cm high, exact an A4 paper sheet. coil is around 3.4Ohm, DC. i used translucent transfer paper. 125grams. but it only reaches to 13Khz

When i remove the leftover paper on the backside that is only there to be able to use the rubber bands. it goes to 14khz-14.5khz. (i leave the top and bottom to still be able to use the rubber bands.)

Part of the reason why it does not reach that high is in my believe the glue used, i used a spray glue this time and i think it damps the coil , not a good thing. I am not sure yet what glue to use instead, it has to be thin and fast drying. but cyanacrylate dries to fast

The funny peak most rubanoides have in the high end can be tuned by making the circles smaller, so it becomes almost flat until the drop off. this is a trade of, resonances in the lower end will increase a bit. since the rigidness gets weaker because we make a steeper turn. this is hard to explain :(

today i will use the same coil, and will measure these cases so we know what does what. ill try to make some cuts to and measure before and after.

Last edited:
Hi WrineX, Hi Sergiu

Thank you for your request.

It's a machined PCB 300 µ thick, with 35 µ standard copper tracks - 16 g weight - 17 turns on each side resulting in about 6 ohms per side. Parallel or serial operation possible.

OndesX

It's a special build for me… Not easy to get indeed !

Hi Ondesx,
I am very dissapointed about this printed pcb and let me explain why. It is because it is too heavy... I just measured my aluminium from my ruined, burned and petched 8 ohm coil and found that i have had only 3,4 grams of aluminium and you have 16 (coil+support). Just imagine, if i use my bonding method: concentrated laqueur on all the coil and 2mm in plus on all the edges (for better contact and Poxipol (cyanoacrilic glue for better strenght) on the 2 mm edges and dots in the center of the coil i gain, lets say five to six grams maximum (in the worst case scenario or an accident when i dropped too much glue from mistake), wich means almost half of you mass, and in your case if you use your glue + coil you will have almost 20 grams JUST the coil and glue, wich is in my opinion too much.
In my case of cutting the coil it takes 2 hours of very meticulous work wich can be done faster i admit, but you get 9 ohms from 5 turns, larger traces (bigger contact area per trace) and much lower mass (wich i think its a very very important key aspect in the rubanoide construction). It is true that its very hard to solder on it but it can be done, and i prefer this aproach to be honest.
I must say as an observation that it cannot be done on 80gr/sqm because its too thin and you will cut the coil out (i tested this). I think in this case you have to make the coil on another support and then sticked to the coil.
My sollution of sticking the coil to the cilinder and then stick them together to the other cilinder is the best approach that i tried:
1.first i apply one very thin layer of concentrate laqueur only on the surface where i will stick the coil (3,2cm*50,5cm) to saturate the paper area (canson paper is very very absorbant).
2.then i cut the aluminium 3cm*50.5cm from a roll of aluminium used for backing with a scisor.
3. then i apply another thin layer of laqueur only on the coil area 3*50.5cm and stick fast the Al to the cilinder and put something heavy on it for 15 min.
4. i make my traces with a marker to cut the traces corectly and cut the coil and eliminate the AL from the center.
5.i apply a very thin coat of laqueur on the other paper 3.2*50.5 cm(cilinder) for paper saturation;
6.let all dry for 15 min.
8.put a paper scotch on only one side on the exterior of the cilinders (paper sheets) only to centrate them right on spot;
7. apply a thicker coat of laqueur on both sides and very fast apply cyanoacrilic glue only on the coil cilinder (my super glue has almost 60 secs till the complete dryness) ,all around it, and dots in the center;
8. stick the cilinders together and really realy fast put something very heavy on them and leave them under pressure for 2 hours..
9. let them dry for anothr 2 hours in an warm open place (room).
10.Finish
It takes me a day to finish a coil (all these steps) and the ruban fully assembled from 10AM to 6PM (1 hour pause and lunch break).

This is my humble opinion and coil construction steps.
Cheers
Sergiu

Guys I am very happy for this detail in the description! I can not wait the new tests.!!!

I was describing all the above steps just for other colleagues interested like you who doesnt know all the details of the construction... To start with something... When Wrine started the construction we only have some squetches, the patents and what i have readed from a french forum wich also started building this wonderfull speaker, but now, we have a ton of info, and another ton of info to test.
I hope that the others who builded this speaker will join this thread, with other solutions, tests, impresions and measurements so that we dont run the same things twice.
Cheers
Sergiu

yesterday i build a mini version of the ruba, measuring 21 cm high, exact an A4 paper sheet. coil is around 3.4Ohm, DC. i used translucent transfer paper. 125grams. but it only reaches to 13Khz

When i remove the leftover paper on the backside that is only there to be able to use the rubber bands. it goes to 14khz-14.5khz. (i leave the top and bottom to still be able to use the rubber bands.)

Part of the reason why it does not reach that high is in my believe the glue used, i used a spray glue this time and i think it damps the coil , not a good thing. I am not sure yet what glue to use instead, it has to be thin and fast drying. but cyanacrylate dries to fast

Here is what glue i used in my earlier sticking method in combination with very concentrated laqueur. See the pics. It says in romanish that it fully dryes in 60 secs and cannot be fully used (stressed) earlyer than one hour.

Attachments

• IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    887.3 KB · Views: 294
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 281