$325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn ~ 35Hz extension

Hi nikmartin,

Looks cool. :) What building material?

Regards,

I used 11 ply 'hardwood' from Lowes. It's gotten some flack because the outer two layers are paper thin veneers, but unless it starts pulling apart, I'm good. It had very few voids in it, I think I saw 6-8 in the whole build. I didn't have the budget for 13 ply proper birch, but I baby my gear and only play out about 2x/month, so I'm optimistic I'll get a few years out of them.

Thinking about building a little 5'x8' teardrop style trailer to keep everything in and haul it around.

Looking to build a PAL12 and have a JL 12w3v3-4 sitting around. Some of the T/S parameters seem similar to the Lab12, while some are pretty different. I know this is a hard question for some to answer, but will this driver perform adequately?

Attachments

• IMG_0248.PNG
    IMG_0248.PNG
    836.7 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0247.PNG
    IMG_0247.PNG
    306.3 KB · Views: 443
B&C 12TBX100

Came across this thread. Since I have 2 B&C 12TBX100 laying around NOT making noise, just give it a shot. This design seems very friendly for various drivers. They are cheaper than the LAB12!! handling 1000 watts (on paper, not in this horn).

I plotted it with power at the xmax of this driver, which turned out to be 750 Watt. Picture 1.

I here a jigsaw starting up in my shed.

Also designed this fold type with the B&C 18SW115, a bit higher, deeper but of course much wider (175% or so). Easy at 25 Hz. Added a pic of the SPL with 675 watt (per driver), placed IN CORNER. Picture 2.

THANKS,

frans

Attachments

• PAL12-SPL@750-watt-B&C12TBX100.PNG
    PAL12-SPL@750-watt-B&C12TBX100.PNG
    56.7 KB · Views: 762
  • WAE-TH6F18-1-8-v2-SPL&excur@675Watt.PNG
    WAE-TH6F18-1-8-v2-SPL&excur@675Watt.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 749
My version with the B&C 18SW115 is 102 x 88 x 54 cm. Not a monster but, yes, it is bigger. You would need at least 2 to party in small clubs, 4 to have them running relaxed for hours keeping all ears of your audience in good shape. These boxes can produce serious SPL levels, the B&C is supposed to be able to handle 2 - 3 kW each. The graph was 4 TH's @ 675 watt each.

It is the volume of the cabinet that relates to lower frequences, so smaller means less deep bass. They are give or take the same volume as the XOC18 or the Danley TH18. No wonder because you need path-length, thus volume.

If you want smaller, this 12" is a very nice alternative, or look at the SS15 on this forum. The SS15 is wider because of the 15" driver, but is very efficient with volume. That's also a pretty device to work with.

Looking at your forum member name, your a DJ? For a DJ I would say, depending on type of music, you may want to go for 18" to dive deep in the bass at serious levels.

Choices, Choices, I always wished there was NO choice, makes life simple :D

kind regards,

Frans

That is already smaller than the box I was planning on building. Size isnt an absolute constraint. I am mainly doing this for fun. The idea of a simpler to build enclosure is appealing, I have a TH similar to the PAL12 with the Lab12 driver but much larger designed for 20Hz in my house right now for HT. I was going to build two PAL12s but stumbled on a deal on the 18sw115 so I pulled the trigger on it.

Well, there you go, if you already have the B&C 18SW115 in house. You just answered your question. Go for the 18" TH. Although I really like the complex construction of the TH18 and XOC, why bother all this trouble if the simpler TH alike this LAP12 hits the same.

If you are familiar with Hornresp or even better AKABAK, just drop it in and saw some wood.

Weltersys also did something similar, with the keystone sub. He made them higher and wider, thus less deep (some has got to give, just a trade off;) )

I added a version as attachment (NOT shure if this is THE one) you need to check if this is the latest and greatest.

kind regards,

Frans

Attachments

• keystone.png
    keystone.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 738
Single Sub for backyard sound?

Found this thread most of which is pro sound related. I am looking to build a sub simply for back yard sound. I built the Cowen 30hz tapped horn about 6 years ago and it is still going strong it has lived outdoors for 6 years straight. Not enough output but getting drivers that match Cowens 30hz design is nearly impossible, if I could get the right driver it may just work fine. I bought the plans for BFM Titan 39 many years ago and also the BFM TableTuba. Researching what I am after I do not think that it is either BFM horn. I don't believe either reach low enough to be "musical".

I would like to build the PAL12 with the Lab 12, I have 500 watts available with DSP for crossover and high pass/low pass filters. What can I expect out of a single PAL12 placed near a wall for back boundary with virtually nothing but trees and grass in the listening area? Music tastes are huge varying from 50 cent, Eminem, Pink Floyd, 80's/90s rock, Country and then there is Classical etc. I want bass powerful enough but I am not filling a football stadium only a back yard get together area, nearest neighbor is around 1 mile so it gets loud at times......

Suggestions welcome!

Well, there you go, if you already have the B&C 18SW115 in house. You just answered your question. Go for the 18" TH. Although I really like the complex construction of the TH18 and XOC, why bother all this trouble if the simpler TH alike this LAP12 hits the same.

If you are familiar with Hornresp or even better AKABAK, just drop it in and saw some wood.

Weltersys also did something similar, with the keystone sub. He made them higher and wider, thus less deep (some has got to give, just a trade off;) )

I added a version as attachment (NOT shure if this is THE one) you need to check if this is the latest and greatest.

kind regards,

Frans

That looks like the Keystone.

edit: oh chips. old thread reviving.... sorry.