2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I thought so too until I took a closer look today. They didn't bead finish all the lettering like they were meant to. Three projects, three enclosures from Modu and three times now things have had to go back to them...unbelievable.
... that's bad news ... makes me sad ... :(

Attachments make me happy ... :)
Hopefully now without any mask errors ...

Attachments

• sa2016_new_pcb_front.jpg
    sa2016_new_pcb_front.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • sa2016_new_pcb_back.jpg
    sa2016_new_pcb_back.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 953
This is going to be a beast...

Second Modu mistake discovered. I always do my drawings/DWG as an internal view (looking down into the enclosure) and ask them to mirror them for drilling. Well they didn't. The pillar top right is set back a little - the problem is that it is the one on the left that's meant to be set back. This is because a small PCB for the front panel switch sits on the rear of the front plate right at this point meaning there is less room. Luckily there's still a couple of mm gap, but it means I have to mount the iron shelf upside down as well. So I have just been forced to swap the position of my star ground and main controller unit. :(

Attachments

• Assembled power supply.jpg
    Assembled power supply.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 918
A few more quick iPhone pics as making some progress slowly. Back panel including my implementation of Self's balanced to single-ended input board (more info here) and OPS mounting on heat spreader and heat sink (including wiring to NTC for thermal monitoring).

Attachments

• Back panel 1.jpg
    Back panel 1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 879
  • Back panel 2.jpg
    Back panel 2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 858
  • OPS and heat sink mounting.jpg
    OPS and heat sink mounting.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 488
Joined 2011
Paid Member
A few more quick iPhone pics as making some progress slowly. Back panel including my implementation of Self's balanced to single-ended input board (more info here) and OPS mounting on heat spreader and heat sink (including wiring to NTC for thermal monitoring).

Looks really impressive! :up:

Never seen such binding posts for speakers. Maybe you can provide a link here?

And hopefully you can provide some higher resolution pictures too...

BR, Toni

@astx I got there in the end (with enough huffing and puffing to blow a lot of piglet houses down and more cursing than I am proud of) I had to attach the top screw of the front plate and then slide it and the heatsinks forward to be able to get to the bottom screws. The challenge was I could then no longer reach the front heatsink mounting nuts. So before I moved everything I had to place a drop of UV setting adhesive around the nut and shakeproof washer and hope that it held enough for me to be able to screw them up from the bottom. Luckily it worked. Why Modu don't make these fittings with threads I don't know. It would make things so much easier. Now I need to redo the Aux PSUs mains wiring loom with my newly arrived much thinner (20AWG, 0.62mm^2) wire and drop in the iron shelf. Getting there...

@nycavsr2000 Thanks Anand. Hopefully it all works! Have a look at Toni's 50W build...

More to come :D

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks for sharing the design. I don't have a need for a 200w amplifier at the moment (my requirements are served at 1/10th that power), I do appreciate a well thought out design.

You are welcome! The design includes a lot of help of the diyaudio community too! Many thanks to all helpers!

BTW: the threads first page (post #1) contains an updated index with links to all sub projects, smaller amplifiers, housekeeping, discrete opamp ...

BR, Toni

More progress. Shelf is made of iron (anodised) to help suppress any EMI/MR from PSUs below.

Aux PSUs at front. Toni's Star Ground and Main Controller Unit in middle. My output relay and Zobel boards at rear (foreground).

OPS sit on heat spreaders, in turn bolted to heat sinks. They sit in the upper half of the heat sink because of width constraints (not such a bad idea to keep them away from PSUs in lower deck. OPS output to output relay/Zobel board will be routed along top of iron shelf.

Hopefully my work will do Toni's justice!

Attachments

• IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 494
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last edited:
Ugh. I have two mains runs: one to the MCU and one double run to the Aux PSUs. The former is easily accessed; the latter requires me to remove the shelf.

The safety aspect is just that the sleeve serves as a warning for high voltages? I can't see any other purpose as the wire itself is rated for high temp/abrasion etc.

I've not sleeved the toroid secondary runs or the +/-70V runs to the OPS. Doing that would require some significant dismantling and reassembly.