2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

If you find the right black magic marker you can colour the end of the screws black to blend in. Marksalot brand are good for this here. Many others come out purple.

An option to increase thread life in aluminum is to use long set screws as studs and leave them in the heat sinks.
Hi Jeff and Andrew, thanks for the tips.
Do you mean screwing bolts on heatsink and fixing the heatspreaders using washers and nuts?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Another option is to use a tap that "forms" the threads rather than cuts them.
These work well in Aluminium, no chips and the tap is less likely to break, not weakened by chip clearance slots.
Should be available in your country or easy to send in a plain envelope for mail order.

Yes - that's a good alternative to standard screw tapping ...

I will try using this one: gewindebohrer.de - BAER HSSE-TIN Forming Tap M 3 x 0,5 - DIN 371 with oil grooves 34TD70320601
You will need a

• 2.8mm drill for M3
  • 3.7mm drill for M4
  • 4.65mm drill for M5

BR, Toni

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thread rolling taps are better for sheet metal. In blind holes they are more prone to stick. They do form a tough smooth thread though.

I'm not sure if Sowa will ship to Greece but they have a good selection of aluminum taps and a reasonable priced. SOWA - Homepage

Not those parts some posts ago - especially designed for blind holes.
But one must use oil during forming the tapping ...

BR, Toni

Not those parts some posts ago - especially designed for blind holes.
But one must use oil during forming the tapping ...

BR, Toni

I was just looking at the ones you posted the link to. They look a lot higher quality than the versions I've been using. I've only used Sowa/Chinese junk to date. Notice the ones you linked to are for high speed power tapping only.

Looks like i have another option when the drilling is between fins (no blind holes required).

Attachments

• 916-DIN-set-screws-INOX-A2.png
    916-DIN-set-screws-INOX-A2.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
...Notice the ones you linked to are for...power

I suspect this is only if you push the limits, they list stainless steel - which is extremely difficult.
For Aluminium I have never seen a "power only" limitation.

Looks like i have another option...

That's a sensible option too.;)

Best wishes
David

Last edited: