• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

21st Century Maida Regulator

I couldn't find a 'maida LT3091' as an implementation for a negative rail - anyone tried/has one?

I'm using a 'standard' Maida for a B- (-300VDC) supply, just connected the positive output to ground and used ground as the negative supply. It works perfectly.

I also have some bipolar maida PCBs in my spares stash, purchased from a chap on Swap Meet - I can spare one or two if of interest?

I'm using a 'standard' Maida for a B- (-300VDC) supply, just connected the positive output to ground and used ground as the negative supply. It works perfectly.

I also have some bipolar maida PCBs in my spares stash, purchased from a chap on Swap Meet - I can spare one or two if of interest?

So that's the same as Jan's with two isolated secondaries and two fb rect bridges. I was under the impression that running a -320 to 320 causes issues with the transformers loading etc.

Last edited:
Could I use the Maida for the B+ of a pair of Korg Nutubes? Each nutube needs 75V and will draw 64uA, for a total of 128uA (or 0.128mA).

I've attached the calculator output. For R3 and R9, I was planning on using 1W Vishay CMF60 resistors. Are those alright?

Attachments

• sanpsu.png
    sanpsu.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 336
Don't forget to account for the load current in that case. I'd probably make R3 = 100 Ω. That'll set the current limit to about 35 mA, which would be plenty.

1 W resistors would be plenty.

A use case where hardly any current would be drawn from the regulator did not occur to me when I wrote the spreadsheet, so I didn't account for that. You'll always have at least 2 mA flowing through R3 due to the feedback resistors, so it really should be no higher than 1.6 kΩ.

Tom

Last edited:
Don't forget to account for the load current in that case. I'd probably make R3 = 100 Ω. That'll set the current limit to about 35 mA, which would be plenty.

1 W resistors would be plenty.

A use case where hardly any current would be drawn from the regulator did not occur to me when I wrote the spreadsheet, so I didn't account for that. You'll always have at least 2 mA flowing through R3 due to the feedback resistors, so it really should be no higher than 1.6 kΩ.

Tom

Hi Tom, what is the psrr of the reg, I can't find the graph..?

I doubt it. There is a schematic in Post #1, though.

I've made a few tweaks since then, but it should provide a starting point for you if you'd like to DIY the circuit.

Tom

It's ok, thanks, jackinnj sent simulation file, I need it only for comparation, I'm experimenting with another "maida type" topology... Btw I'm used to Micro Cap, LT spice is still not user friendly after all these years. :mad:

QQ- what ripple input would expect for a tube amp? I’m targetting as close to sub 0.1uV ripple (320V 160-200mA)

Do users normally use one or more chokes to give a starting point for the regulator to work from at that level of output? (A 3H choke with 375uF caps give ~ -53dB for example)