• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

21st Century Maida Regulator

fwiw, i support Tom and have used his boards. you will probably have to roll your own PCB to incorporate this current limiting idea:

Attachments

• LT3080_Current Limited.png
    LT3080_Current Limited.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 488
Does using this regulator with a tube rectifier "solidstate-ify" the rectifier? I know some people like rolling rectifiers for fine-tuning sound out of an amp, and it seems like using an IC-based regulator might mitigate any differences between rectifiers. In other words, is using a regulator like the maida counterproductive when someone is using tube rectifiers for their sound?

I use a Maida reg in my Valve DAC build Sonny, just connect B+ on the Maida board to Ground and Ground on the Maida board is B-.

Yep! You do need two completely separate secondary windings for that, though. So two windings, two rectifiers, two reservoir caps, two Maida Regulators. Then you connect them as described above and you now have a split supply.

The two secondary windings can be on the same transformer.

Tom

Nautibuoy uses a single Maida in his Valve DAC and apparently wires it up in reverse? Is there a downside to doing it that way?

Maybe our posts crossed. See my response in Post #609.

The drawback is that you need two separate secondary windings.

Also, the regulators are not connected in reverse. They're connected normally on their inputs to their respective secondary windings, rectifiers, and reservoir caps. They're then connected in series on the output and the centre point is connected to ground. That's exactly the same you would do if you were connecting two batteries to form a split supply.

Tom

Yep! You do need two completely separate secondary windings for that, though. So two windings, two rectifiers, two reservoir caps, two Maida Regulators. Then you connect them as described above and you now have a split supply.

The two secondary windings can be on the same transformer.

Tom

I think you misunderstand Tom, the question/context is not about a dual polarity supply, just a requirement for a negative rail supply. There is no requirement for B+.

For 3.5 W you can probably get away with attaching the MOSFET to the metal chassis (with appropriate thermal pad). If not, then a tiny board mount heat sink will probably do the trick. Beware that many of those are listed by their thermal resistance with forced air flow (i.e. fan cooling). You need to check their data sheets to see the numbers for convection cooling.

Lower temperature is always better for reliability. With that low power there's no reason to run the device at 80-90 ºC.

Tom

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thanks, Tom. Yes, ordinarily I would never be dealing with the issue as the MOSFET would be appropriately heatsinked. However I am adapting a regulator into an existing amplifier, the very successful but poorly designed DarkVoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier. I am doing an overhaul of the design for "fun" for a friend, which makes fitting a regulator tricky given the small chassis. I think I should be able to manage a slightly more capable heatsink with some modifications.

I wonder if you or another forum member might recommend me a text where I could learn about the design of a floating high-voltage LDO regulator like the 21CM? I would appreciate it.