2-way: Waveguide + Cardioid-like

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understood what you meant, it was me who wrote it backwards! :)

Why cardoids work better than dipoles and monopoles placed close to a front wall is kind of obvious, and that is the whole reason I want to use the concept. In my room the speaker will have to be fairly close to the wall.

I was just curious about how you found out that keeping the back sealed and only have holes to the sides worked better when close to the front-wall. But I guess you kind of answered it. I can just measure the speaker outside facing upwards with a distance similar to what I have in the listening room and then see how different layouts affect the response.

I believe the cardoid pattern won't have very much impact on sidewall reflections since they don't attenuate that much to the sides. But as someone said; don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

thanks again

Okey, that sounds reasonable... I guess a shallow waveguide with a dometweeter would be quite close to that. And in many situations that would be a really good design.

But for my own personal taste and listening room I prefer greater directivity, especially from 800-8kHz to significantly lower first reflections in level, so I'll be using a more directive waveguide/horn.

I wish.

The problem with using a u-frame is that the results aren't predictable. I was shocked to find that the stuffing needs to match from side to side, and even the *consistency* of the stuffing changes the frequency response, the excursion, the distortion, the impedance curve, EVERYTHING.

IE, I learned why John K doesn't use U-Frames even though he wrote the software for them, and why Geddes uses reticulated foam instead of something else (re:consistency.)
And how does perforating the U-baffle solve the problems inherent to the U-baffle?

More to come. I'll copy the first post later and I'll add the images at the right spot.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • afstraalgedrag 0 tot 90 gated%2C 1 . 24 oct.jpg
    afstraalgedrag 0 tot 90 gated%2C 1 . 24 oct.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 269
  • AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping%2C achterzijde.jpg
    AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping%2C achterzijde.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 259
  • AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping Vergelijk voor en achter.jpg
    AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping Vergelijk voor en achter.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 289
  • AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping 0 tot 90.jpg
    AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping 0 tot 90.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,105
This was the first cardioid speaker I ever built. Since then I learned a lot about how to optimize them. The reduction in loudness relative to the front can be improved considerably in comparison to this speaker. Since then I started a business called Dutch & Dutch. Here you can find some technical information about the 8c, including measurements.

EDIT: I see now that the images have very low resolution. I'll have to fix it later.

Attachments

• selenium_d220ti en AD_R1230 onaxis.jpg
    selenium_d220ti en AD_R1230 onaxis.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Response 15 graden.jpg
    Response 15 graden.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Overdrachtsfunctie.jpg
    Overdrachtsfunctie.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 348
  • Fase 15 graden.jpg
    Fase 15 graden.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 429
  • Directivity Sonogram 12 oct. smoothing ungated.jpg
    Directivity Sonogram 12 oct. smoothing ungated.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 454
This was the first cardioid speaker I ever built. Since then I learned a lot about how to optimize them. The reduction in loudness relative to the front can be improved considerably in comparison to this speaker. Since then I started a business called Dutch & Dutch. Here you can find some technical information about the 8c, including measurements.

EDIT: I see now that the images have very low resolution. I'll have to fix it later.

Would you care to share some tips on controlling the front wave relative to the back wave?

Ps your product in that link looks excellent

Take 2

Attachments

• Overdrachtsfunctie.jpg
    Overdrachtsfunctie.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 6,092
  • Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6,132
  • selenium_d220ti en AD_R1230 onaxis.jpg
    selenium_d220ti en AD_R1230 onaxis.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 6,344
  • AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping 0 tot 90.jpg
    AD woofer in behuizing vol met demping 0 tot 90.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 6,656
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 6,566
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 7,079
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 7,157
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 8,740
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 7,136
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 7,612
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.