100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I started to write an explanation, but why? OpenDocument Spreadsheet

Excel will read and write it, as will Open Office, of course. If you don't have any spreadsheet software, simply download OpenOffice.

I'll implement Mr Prasi's changes (Thanks!) in the morning and upload a new revision.

BF

My Excel 2007 doesn't open it. Maybe you can save it as a plain txt file or .xls file?

Thanks

Layout is OK. :worship:

Attachments

• FX8 Sonal.jpg
    FX8 Sonal.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 1,014
quite detailed, nice. But please check again. Just had a cursory look and here are my comments.
1. item 24,25 should be BD's.
Looking for a datasheet for those. All I've found are motor controllers under BD639... Also searched diyAudio. Only found one mention and it was a typo... If BD639 is correct, could you point me to a datasheet, please?

2. item 22 and 22A, should be same. just bend it where you require depending upon pitch. no need to order separate part nos.
Correct. I should have consolidated those two entries. I was using this spreadsheet to create my PCB layout library.

3. item1. C1. 25V is enough. I used nichicon muse NP here (I like it). since it is in signal path, should be of good quality.
Changed to UES1E100MDM.

4. item 11. the PCB is meant for an ordinary terminal block with 5.08mm pitch. 3 pin terminal block on Sonal's layout. Not too sure how to you would fit a RCA phono connector, unless you are panel mounting it somewhere and running wires directly to PCB.
Correct. My entry is wrong. I figured that out as I laid out the board and I overlooked that correction.

5. R18, I used ordinary bourns 3296W 1k Multi Turn. It is set at 270ohm on 1 ch and 285ohm on another. It may still be fine with your proposed 500R
. Changed to Bourns 3296W-1-102LF

P.S. Please check the diameters and ratings again as per Sonal's layout
Will do! Thanks for your help.

BF

Attachments

• FX8 BOM BJF Rev 1.1.ods.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 200
My Excel 2007 doesn't open it. Maybe you can save it as a plain txt file or .xls file?

Thanks

I'm new here, so please forgive me if responding is a faux pas...

I'm not trying to be insulting - I'm pretty sure that these types of questions and answers don't belong on an audio forum. Answers to basic computer questions (and we all have such questions from time to time) are more fully dealt with elsewhere and are very easily Googled.

You need to install SP2 for Office 2007 to support ODS.

Alternatively, as I suggested previously, you can install OpenOffice, open the file yourself, save it as XLS, and then deal with it in Excel, assuming that is your preferred tool.

BF

Looking for a datasheet for those. All I've found are motor controllers under BD639... Also searched diyAudio. Only found one mention and it was a typo... If BD639 is correct, could you point me to a datasheet, please?

BF

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. What I meant was BD139 and BD140 (The TO-126 devices.), which you had already mentioned in your updated schematic but not in BoM. So I thought correction in BoM would be helpful for others. link https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/BD/BD135.pdf.
Also hfe classification 16 (BD139-16 and BD140-16) would be better as used by RickG.
Also as suggested by Mr. Mile, 2SA1360 and 2SC3423 are better alternatives, (which you have already mentioned in BoM.)
reg
Prasi

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm new here, so please forgive me if responding is a faux pas...

I'm not trying to be insulting - I'm pretty sure that these types of questions and answers don't belong on an audio forum. Answers to basic computer questions (and we all have such questions from time to time) are more fully dealt with elsewhere and are very easily Googled.

You need to install SP2 for Office 2007 to support ODS.

Alternatively, as I suggested previously, you can install OpenOffice, open the file yourself, save it as XLS, and then deal with it in Excel, assuming that is your preferred tool.

BF

No problem, thanks for the BOM. I installed Open Office as my Excel was 2002 and did not have extension available.

FX8 BOM BJF Rev 1.2

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. What I meant was BD139 and BD140 (The TO-126 devices.), which you had already mentioned in your updated schematic but not in BoM. So I thought correction in BoM would be helpful for others. link https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/BD/BD135.pdf.
Also hfe classification 16 (BD139-16 and BD140-16) would be better as used by RickG.
Also as suggested by Mr. Mile, 2SA1360 and 2SC3423 are better alternatives, (which you have already mentioned in BoM.)
reg
Prasi

Sorry. It was late/early. I should have remembered the BDs' numbers.

Corrections included.

Thanks,

BF

Attachments

• FX8 BOM BJF Rev 1.2.ods.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 234
Thanks - good thing too as I ordered the boards already :)

Is the photo above of the 5cm x 5cm layout? Any tricks to building this amp or pretty straightforward? Is the heatsink for the TO220's needed?

I have had if playing music all day today. It's a really sweet amp. You can probably do without the little heatsink on the VAS. It only runs at about 10mA with the bias set at 100mA. The little sheet metal sink I have on it get only warm. I will leave it in case it helps with thermal stability. There are no issues that I have found. You can simply follow the silk and have no problem. There is still a slight overshoot on the square waves but it sounds lovely so I'm not sure I would mess around any further.

Blessings, Terry

Terry, can you please measure the voltage across R2 in this schematic:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...imate-fidelity-amplifier-131.html#post4641883

Also, who made the BC546 you put there? I just want a datapoint for this transistor...

I read 56mV across R2. I'm not sure who made the BC546C transistors. They were a gift from BobEllis. I was building the SKA and needed the C grade and couldn't find them. He was kind enough to send me some. Here is a picture if that will help.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• BC546C.jpg
    BC546C.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,100