• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I
In analog section (+/-5V) 5.6R resistors allow for 100mA current and in the digital section 1.5R for 370mA.

The build guide for that supply states that you would need to take Peak Current Consumption plus 50-150mA for Shunt Current..

If I take a look at the DAM1941 specs:
- digital section = 350mA (DAM1941) + 150mA (display board)
- analog section, both rails (+ and -) have 85 mA max consumption.

You are not running into problems with your 100mA and 370mA configuration? It does not provide the advised amount of shunt current on top of the DAM1941's peak consumption...?

The build guide for that supply states that you would need to take Peak Current Consumption plus 50-150mA for Shunt Current..

If I take a look at the DAM1941 specs:
- digital section = 350mA (DAM1941) + 150mA (display board)
- analog section, both rails (+ and -) have 85 mA max consumption.

You are not running into problems with your 100mA and 370mA configuration? It does not provide the advised amount of shunt current on top of the DAM1941's peak consumption...?

You are correct, I missed the info about shunt current. That would explain why the second device in PS is not warming at all after PS is hooked up to the circuit, mostly in a digital section though. Analog section seem to be pretty well balanced.

I will need to increase heatsinking in the digital supply and then adjust the resistor.

Other than that, the PS keeps the voltage at proper levels and seems to runs fine.

Attachments

• 20181214_143048.jpg
    20181214_143048.jpg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 757
Hello Soekris,

I received my 1941 with boards this week, thanks a lot.

Quick questions:
- Is there a way to use a battery supply without regs like the one Ian has developed: Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply ...directly 3.3-3.4V ?
- There is no DC on the output, right ? So I could directly attach the grids of a triode LTP/differential pair to the output of your DAC, correct (without cap or transformer in between) ? The grid to ground resistor (which defines the impedance as the tube itself has an impedance of infinity) maybe 100k, so driving 100k with 635 Ohms is not bad I guess...any flaw in my thinking ?

(...And yes, I need a much higher Vpp, more like 15-20Vpp as I will only use two tube stages in my 300B power amp...)

ps.

- I would love to have a way of entering my I2S from a Botis Buglebone into your DAC as well...
- Great that you build the unsync option into your balanced Dac to reduce impedance...is the lebel in that case still the same or double ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Soekris,

I received my 1941 with boards this week, thanks a lot.

Quick questions:
- Is there a way to use a battery supply without regs like the one Ian has developed: Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply ...directly 3.3-3.4V ?

I already designed at good DAC, experiments with batteries are on your own.

- There is no DC on the output, right ? So I could directly attach the grids of a triode LTP/differential pair to the output of your DAC, correct (without cap or transformer in between) ? The grid to ground resistor (which defines the impedance as the tube itself has an impedance of infinity) maybe 100k, so driving 100k with 635 Ohms is not bad I guess...any flaw in my thinking ?

Yes, ther're no DC on the outputs. Yuo can connect grids of the tubes directly.

(...And yes, I need a much higher Vpp, more like 15-20Vpp as I will only use two tube stages in my 300B power amp...)

ps.

- I would love to have a way of entering my I2S from a Botis Buglebone into your DAC as well...

Use the 2nd I2S port, firmware and info will be here shortly.

- Great that you build the unsync option into your balanced Dac to reduce impedance...is the lebel in that case still the same or double ?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.... If you mean paralleling the resistors strings two and two then that option is shown in the manual.

Let me be a bit more precise:

From the manual, p6:
"The dam1941 can be set for “Parallel” mode, in that case it will be single ended outputs with an output impedance of 313 ohms."

My question was: Is the output level of this new SE output the same as each balanced one individually or is the output level (Vpp) doubled as both balanced output are now summed up to create one SE output ?

On the PSU question regarding battery etc: What happens when the 1941 only gets 3.3-3.4V input ? Will the onboard regs be surpassed as internally it may work with 3.3V anyhow (just like in the BIII) or will this simply not work, it needs its 5V.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Let me be a bit more precise:

From the manual, p6:
"The dam1941 can be set for “Parallel” mode, in that case it will be single ended outputs with an output impedance of 313 ohms."

My question was: Is the output level of this new SE output the same as each balanced one individually or is the output level (Vpp) doubled as both balanced output are now summed up to create one SE output ?

The outputs are voltage sources with 625R zout, so paralleling will of course give same voltage, but half the output impedance.

On the PSU question regarding battery etc: What happens when the 1941 only gets 3.3-3.4V input ? Will the onboard regs be surpassed as internally it may work with 3.3V anyhow (just like in the BIII) or will this simply not work, it needs its 5V.

Have no idea, not something I have, or will test.

Hello and Merry Christmas Søren and fellow diyaudio'ers,

My dam1941 is in the post on its way, wife may or may not be aware the dam1941 is her Christmas present to me because I may or may not have mentioned this fact and she may or may not have heard me, if I mentioned it.

A topic I do not find in the manual or this thread is Window's driver for the onboard USB input. Start with three questions:

1. Driver for pre-WIN10 systems? Windows 7 & 8 (I await the posting questioning why no drivers for Win 98 & 3.1 :)).
2. Driver for WIN10?
3. Does dam1941 work with the better-late-than-never Microsoft USB 2.0 driver?
This is going to be so much fun. Well maybe not the Windows drivers but R2R music looking to be big fun.

Last edited:
If you really want to go ultimate, than you need something with Linux on it, which comes automatically with the right drivers...I am using the old MPDpuppy with an Alix 1d board and Sotm USB card. But a direct I2S solution like BBB Botis or other should even be better...but W10 or previous is simply by far not a good sounding OS.

That is as well my understanding. Currently the best way in goes over USB I guess. And there I can highly recommend the Sotm USB-Card...separate, linear power-supply, regs etc...isolating the USB chips as much as possible from the mainboard. And ideally sitting on a low-energy-consuming platform as thise are less polluted like Alix or others. Running Linux, maybe Volumio these days...so, in the end MPD/Alsa.

Hello and Merry Christmas Søren and fellow diyaudio'ers,

My dam1941 is in the post on its way, wife may or may not be aware the dam1941 is her Christmas present to me because I may or may not have mentioned this fact and she may or may not have heard me, if I mentioned it.

A topic I do not find in the manual or this thread is Window's driver for the onboard USB input. Start with three questions:

1. Driver for pre-WIN10 systems? Windows 7 & 8 (I await the posting questioning why no drivers for Win 98 & 3.1 :)).
2. Driver for WIN10?
3. Does dam1941 work with the better-late-than-never Microsoft USB 2.0 driver?
This is going to be so much fun. Well maybe not the Windows drivers but R2R music looking to be big fun.

USB Windows drivers are on Soekris Engineering ApS, Downloads

The dam19x1 USB interface are UAC 2 compliant, have been reported to work just fine with newer Windows 10....

Last edited:
That is as well my understanding. Currently the best way in goes over USB I guess. And there I can highly recommend the Sotm USB-Card...separate, linear power-supply, regs etc...isolating the USB chips as much as possible from the mainboard. And ideally sitting on a low-energy-consuming platform as thise are less polluted like Alix or others. Running Linux, maybe Volumio these days...so, in the end MPD/Alsa.

Please note the the USB interface on the dam19x1 is already fully isolated, any USB isolater/reclocker is redundant and at best just waste of money.