• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Hi Soren,
I want to design a headphone amp&buffer board.
I'd like to know how to swtich the "headphone/line out" ,and more detail about xfeed.When I switch the "headphone/line out" is any difference on L/R output?
And when dam1941 swtich on headphone mode,is it possible to be too loud?

1) Yes, the dam1941 itself is 350 mA max, per manual.
2) The only active parts on the buffer board are the opamps, and you can use whatever you want there....
3) No isolation there, the serial port is designed to only be used for settings and firmware upgrades.

Søren,

- I was planning on creating my own user interface board that has it’s own microcontroller on it. One of the things i want to so is to add an OLED display to it.

- I’m willing to sign an nda, but would it be possible to get the code of the current controller?

- Also, if I would add an isolator chip, would it be possible to use the serial port for the interaction wth the microcontroller?

I think the code would help in understanding how to use a remote control with your display board. That isn’t documened. The IR receiver (U9) is also not documented in the display board schema it seems, or am i missing something here?

Last edited:
Hi Soren,
Could you please, enlighten me a little about the following (from the manual of 1941 page 6):
(in few words, what exactly should we pay attention to ?)

There is no requirement for specific ramp up/down, although to avoid DC voltage on the outputs all power pins should ramp up and down within 0.5 sec of each other.

Also, could I power the VCC5D with separate (super capacitors) PSU, which will completely different unit that the one for analog power ?

Thank you in advance and have a nice evening.

Hey Soren,

Thrilled that you have new products in the DIY line! I've been in touch with your new US vendor and he said he could order DAM1941 from you but seems uncertain about the accessory boards. Do you have any plans to release the boards separate?

Also, with the parts listed in the BOM, what kind of improvements would the buffer board(1961) have compared to dam1021 v4/v5 dual mono buffered output? This might be a pretty basic question but hopefully some others are curious about it too!

Thanks!
Michael

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey Soren,

Thrilled that you have new products in the DIY line! I've been in touch with your new US vendor and he said he could order DAM1941 from you but seems uncertain about the accessory boards. Do you have any plans to release the boards separate?

Accessory boards are in stock, can't see any problems....

The boards are pretty low cost, so I'm not interested in the logistics in selling them separately....

[/QUOTE]
Also, with the parts listed in the BOM, what kind of improvements would the buffer board(1961) have compared to dam1021 v4/v5 dual mono buffered output? This might be a pretty basic question but hopefully some others are curious about it too!

Thanks!
Michael[/QUOTE]

The buf1961 buffer Board is basically just a bunch of opamps, but you can choose what opamps to use.... Most opamps are so8 package nowadays, but as the buf1961 also have dip8 footprint you can buy a bunch of so8 to dip8 adapters and try different opamps....

I'm hoping to get some feedback how different technologies sound to people, like the TI cmos opa1678, jfet opa1642 and bipolar opa1602 (used on the dam1021), they're all rail-rail output so they can run on just +-5V.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Soren,
I want to design a headphone amp&buffer board.
I'd like to know how to swtich the "headphone/line out" ,and more detail about xfeed.When I switch the "headphone/line out" is any difference on L/R output?
And when dam1941 swtich on headphone mode,is it possible to be too loud?

I'll update the manual soon with more details on the switching. If implemented as I will describe, the switching is smooth.

The DAM1941 is available if "No" is selected for "Accessory PCBs". Price is $549 and I'm able to add it to my cart.

But if "Yes + $35" is selected for "Accessory PCBs" then the DAM1941 is shown as unavailable.

See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181126-154102~2.png
    Screenshot_20181126-154102~2.png
    851.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Screenshot_20181126-153555~2.png
    Screenshot_20181126-153555~2.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,036
Søren,

My dsp1971 board is malfunctioning.
No single led lights and the three display modules statically indicate -88.

The dac responds to the rotary encoder but i have not tested the ir receiver yet.

The individual leds and resistors are ok, tested with a separate 5v supply with the dsp board disconnected.

So i’m guessing i must have damaged one of the shift registers during soldering, would you have any other ideas or clues?

Thanks!