• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Good morning, when I looked at the schematics of the additional boards yesterday, I noticed the unusual design of the power supply. The upper part is clear, the lower part is not. Why did you put the capacitors in front of the rectifier? I have not seen that yet ...

Basic voltage doubler, for generating both the lov voltages for the dam19x1 and higher voltages for a buffer board, using a low cost standard transformer.

Here's the DAC with dedicated shunt regulators for 5D, 5A,-5A and +/-15V in the output stage. It's sounds very good right now, without any mods to main board yet.
I'm using OPA2132 in the output buffer, but planning on a discreet circuit there.

Attachments

• dacs.jpg
    dacs.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 1,069
Here's the DAC with dedicated shunt regulators for 5D, 5A,-5A and +/-15V in the output stage. It's sounds very good right now, without any mods to main board yet.
I'm using OPA2132 in the output buffer, but planning on a discreet circuit there.

How much extra current overhead did you calculate with for the output buffer (on top of the 1941's own current consumption) while designing the shunt supplies?

I'm going to use a Salas Ultrabib for the analog part - which is going to include the output buffer.

For the 5VD i'm contemplating between a Salas ultrabib positive rail or a Salas Reflektor D...

How much extra current overhead did you calculate with for the output buffer (on top of the 1941's own current consumption) while designing the shunt supplies?

I'm going to use a Salas Ultrabib for the analog part - which is going to include the output buffer.

For the 5VD i'm contemplating between a Salas ultrabib positive rail or a Salas Reflektor D...
I used this regulator for digital and analog section of the DAC: Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator
In analog section (+/-5V) 5.6R resistors allow for 100mA current and in the digital section 1.5R for 370mA.
With the output buffer I'm using this regulator: The Phono Stage It worked well with phono stage so why not here.

Attachments

• s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 976
Hi @all
here is my dam1941 "vinyl edition" mounted on an old "Grundplatte" ;)
The DAC sounds really good so far.

The Toslink input is working perfect, but i cannot get a lock with the I2S input on the J9 connector. I connencted the I2S signals (I2S_2_BCLK, I2S_2_LRCLK, I2S_2_DAT) and the serial (COM_TXD, COM_RXD) directly with the raspberry pi.

Next week i get some Si8641 isolator chips to separate the raspberry from the DAC, but for now it should work without isolating the ports.

The serial connenction works fine with minicom, I can switch the inputs and the filters and also i can enter the uManager.

Has anyone got a working I2S connection to the DAM1941 ?

greetz from austria
tonno

Attachments

• dam001.jpg
    dam001.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 954
  • dam002.jpg
    dam002.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 930
  • dam003.jpg
    dam003.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 836
  • dam004.jpg
    dam004.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 842
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi @all
here is my dam1941 "vinyl edition" mounted on an old "Grundplatte" ;)
The DAC sounds really good so far.

The Toslink input is working perfect, but i cannot get a lock with the I2S input on the J9 connector. I connencted the I2S signals (I2S_2_BCLK, I2S_2_LRCLK, I2S_2_DAT) and the serial (COM_TXD, COM_RXD) directly with the raspberry pi.

Next week i get some Si8641 isolator chips to separate the raspberry from the DAC, but for now it should work without isolating the ports.

The serial connenction works fine with minicom, I can switch the inputs and the filters and also i can enter the uManager.

Has anyone got a working I2S connection to the DAM1941 ?

greetz from austria
tonno

The 2nd I2S port is not operational yet, need more firmware, I will release that soon.

The 2nd I2S port is not operational yet, need more firmware, I will release that soon.

Hi Søren,

thank you for the quick reply. Where can i find the pinout of the 1st I2S port? Is it J2? And is 3.3 voltage level ok for the port?

I have a additional question: Can you implement a kind of display refresh for the frontpanel, if something has been switched over the serial port?

Thx
tonno

Last edited:
Hi Søren,

thank you for the quick reply. Where can i find the pinout of the 1st I2S port? Is it J2? And is 3.3 voltage level ok for the port?

1st I2S port is the internal USB interface....

I have a additional question: Can you implement a kind of display refresh for the frontpanel, if something has been switched over the serial port?

Thx
tonno

The front panel should track current settings, but I'll check....

Joined 2004
Paid Member
balanced/unbalanced

Hi Søren,

Is possible to use 1:1 transformer (for example Jensen JT-11) as balanced-unbalanced interface of Dam1941 output?

Is 600R type usable (driving capacity), or must use 10k:10k?

p.s. I avoid to use resistor output as "output" -without any protection-, but I don't want to use IC.

I thought the point of I2S bus on board was to do the job of the isolator.

now include all the needed digital interface: USB, SPDIF RCA, BNC and XLR and Toslink, all fully galvanic isolated, plus an extra I2S port, suited for connection to example a streamer board like a Rasberry Pi.