• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Thanks, SOEKRIS,

AS it turns out, excuse my posting before checking, the pad I lifted is a ground pad so I will simply use the other ground pad for both +- 5 volts supplies.

With the new boards not yet posted on the US site I was in a panic!

My board will work fine.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Take care,

Hi soekris (and all),

i bought from you the number 464 (-02) and a second hand one (257-05) without the mods.

Please can you provide a picture with the mods and and list in what the parts was changed? I saw that some caps are changed and caps to resistors. I searched in this thread but i didn't found a pic/list of the mods.

My english is not good enough to understand all postings.

Many thanks!

Hi soekris (and all),

i bought from you the number 464 (-02) and a second hand one (257-05) without the mods.

Please can you provide a picture with the mods and and list in what the parts was changed? I saw that some caps are changed and caps to resistors. I searched in this thread but i didn't found a pic/list of the mods.

My english is not good enough to understand all postings.

Many thanks!

Just update post #1 with links.

I've misplaced my 0.01R resistors and had to use 0R for now in place of it. I also installed 0R where the compensation cap should be.

Installed capacitance is now at 4x680uF per rail (total 2720uF/rail 16 cap mod with Oscon SP 6.8V).

Already I can tell a ridiculous amount of difference vs the stock config with a single 680uF cap per rail. The music just seems to come to life, far less of that cold feeling. I don't know if its just subjective or not, but I listened to this dac for over a thousand hours at least and feel its now really let itself loose.

It's fun having a dac that you can get more and more out of as you get braver.

Is there any big issues using a 0R "resistor" instead of the recommend 0.1 or 0.01 I should take into consideration? Or is the capacitance value enough to reduce any noise issues?

Last edited:
When I install the new version, it put +10 gain and all the filters clip. In my opinion it is wrong amplify above 0 digital. Many people will say that the DAC saturated.

I like when I do not want to use volume control. to put a switch to set the default potenciomento the positive terminal to max gain. I can not to do now because it is a +10 and saturates.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm now on FKP2 since 30 minutes. This is much more easily consumed. And yes some beaming in the upper midrange is gone. Stage larger but a little more fuzzy where the room ends. More bass. Did the cheap styroflex have anything on these... there was something exiting that I can't really put my finger on... lets listen for a few days on these now....

The cheap styroflex are probably for the explorative and curious...

Attachments

• mkp2dam.jpg
    mkp2dam.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I doubt you find them in high reliability products. I suspect when one finds them in a product it is because they are cheap and work well enough to pass QC before being boxed up. CAVEAT EMPTOR

I thought these things ceased being manufactured long ago. Thought it was still surplus being sold.

Here is a link to a proven excellent PS cap - The RELCAP RT - Capacitor Sourcebook - AudioCap RT

They were used in the past in precision products and they were not cheap then. In fact they were amongst the most expensive caps then. Production has stopped many years ago, what you find now in current production are optical similar caps but with different dielectric. Mostly KP AFAIK. "Open" polystyrene/styroflex/KS caps have somewhat higher susceptibility to moist compared to other film type caps, for that reason the encapsulated types Siemens/Philips made are the best in that area. Too bad these often have diagonal pins which makes their use somewhat unpractical. Many have very low tolerance, 1 or 2.5% is no exception. These were ridiculously expensive and hard to find for DIY use. Soundwise I haven't found any objection using these, on the contrary. I still use them as I have many values in numbers in stock, even in large values which were not very common in their haydays. I guess their susceptibility for overheating them while soldering makes them unsuitable for the SMD form factors which possibly led to their demise. Let's be clear that their positive features outweigh their negative features. Please check facts with Google on polystyrene or Styroflex caps as they are called here. They have some really good properties.

In older japanese quality audio gear styroflex caps (made by japanese manufacturers) were used, especially the copper foil types that are sealed with resin are real gems.

The "open" silver colored types are at surplus level now which probably explains their current low pricing at some places (not everywhere !):

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/polystyrene.html.

Attachments

• 2013-11-14_15.18.22.jpg
    2013-11-14_15.18.22.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
Already I can tell a ridiculous amount of difference vs the stock config with a single 680uF cap per rail. The music just seems to come to life, far less of that cold feeling. I don't know if its just subjective or not, but I listened to this dac for over a thousand hours at least and feel its now really let itself loose.

That's also my experience, before the vref mods my R2R DAC was sitting on the shelf. It couldn't compete against my ES9018 DAC.
Now with the vref mods (0.01ohm, +47uf, 0.68uf compensation cap) and 16x 680uf caps the DAC is completely transformed, it isn't sitting on the shelf anymore :)

Which filter are you using ?

Last edited:
That's also my experience, before the vref mods my R2R DAC was sitting on the shelf. It couldn't compete against my ES9018 DAC.
Now with the vref mods (0.01ohm, +47uf, 0.68uf compensation cap) and 16x 680uf caps the DAC is completely transformed, it isn't sitting on the shelf anymore :)

Been switching between NewNOS and EQHQv5 from paul's v099 grab bag. Both sound just as impressive, favouring NewNOS again since the last mods.

Latest pics of my dam implementation. https://imgur.com/gallery/Bbp0z

can you post the pic of the mod?which caps have you used?

I just want to congratulate all the ones that successfully modified their DAM… when I opened the case where my DAM is sitting for the last 7 months; I was shocked on how small the components are. By just looking at the posted pictures it's difficult to realize.
That's the reason why I've ordered the latest rev.2 board with the vref already fixed. It arrived today (thanks Søren) and probably by the weekend it will be up and running.
Now the question, wouldn't it be interesting to compare the new version with the old one fully modded? I see a lot of persons displaying a Belgian flag down here… anyone living nearby Brussels with a fully modded ver.1 board interested in the comparison?

Are you using the 0.68uF cap in the feedback loop instead of a jumper?

Did you try the jumper and find you preferred using this cap?

I'm now on FKP2 since 30 minutes. This is much more easily consumed. And yes some beaming in the upper midrange is gone. Stage larger but a little more fuzzy where the room ends. More bass. Did the cheap styroflex have anything on these... there was something exiting that I can't really put my finger on... lets listen for a few days on these now....

The cheap styroflex are probably for the explorative and curious...
TNT keep us informed on how FKP2's sound evolves. I was planning to use some russian 1200pf teflon caps based on Salas's post in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/168423-c0g-np0-coupling-caps.html but I guess I will just use the panasonic ECHU capacitors. I have them in 805 size. Do you think I will be able to replace the 603 original ones?