• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Good to hear you have it running since I, too, will be using WAVE IO but I would think two isolators is not good for the long term.

Those isolators are not benign and two cascaded cannot be ideal. Plus you do not have to worry about powering those on the WAVE IO board.

I figure we need to get a pair of those uFL cable assemblies, cut them in half and not use WAVE IOs isolators, just the SOEKRIS ones.

What do you think?

Just noticed from your photograph that both WAVE IO and the SOEKRIS share the same pinout for the ribbon connector. Would not have expected that. Oh, well, so much for convenience ...

Last edited:
Have it running with WaveIO.
The WaveIO has its own isolator, so I had to power them both.

cheers
Torsten

Please, definitely use the unisolated outputs of the WaveIO on the uFL connectors. I have two WaveIO boards and am strongly planning to purchase a Soekris R2R. It would be great to see the exact hook up of the two. Kind of wish Soren had put uFL connectors on his board. Such a great and convenient way to go with I2S signals.

Thanks,
--Alex C.

dimdim,

Thanks for your blog!

I was wondering how I was going to figure out how to upgrade the firmware.

Just want to make sure that I can flash the new firmware to the dac with the Amanero still connected without damaging the Amanero?
My motto is better safe than sorry. There’s already been a few members on this thread blowing up their equipment :(

Personally I would mot call u-fl convenient. But they surely offer the best signal integrity. Luckily we don't need that here.

//

I have never dealt with uFL but have no choice with WAVE IO.

Getting cables which I will cut in half. Could not imagine attaching those connectors to cable!

PLUS I did not mean uFL was convenient - it was the irony that it would would be so easy to simply connect with the ribbon cable since it looked as it both boards used the same wiring scheme for I2S. I would have expected them to not "match" at all!

So all of that convenience for naught!

Actually i like u.fl connectors alot. I think they are simple - looks nice, and best possible performance. I would use them even though there are no "improvement" if it was possible.
Thinking about maybe making a SPDIF-i2s input daughterboard with room for transformer and u.fls and everything else. The problem right now is that i don't have time for it at all, so it will probably come later.

Actually i like u.fl connectors alot. I think they are simple - looks nice, and best possible performance. I would use them even though there are no "improvement" if it was possible.
Thinking about maybe making a SPDIF-i2s input daughterboard with room for transformer and u.fls and everything else. The problem right now is that i don't have time for it at all, so it will probably come later.

Problem is ufl is they are very easy to damage, especially when removing them. But of the options available, they are best for signal integrity.

And a daughterboard would be very cool, I'm sure lots of people would go for it. I don't know how to layout PWB's, but maybe someone else will.

Randy

Especially for the Pulse transformers as there is also a PS to wire with a resistor and a cap.

One of the two pulse transformers I linked in the other implementation thread could serve for their foot print to make a little cheap pcb My understanding is the PE is less noisy than the Nevawa. A better choice as the jitter is not a concern in the choice between them ?

For the big connector I linked a Farnell connector in the first page given by Spkzzzt member. It would suffice with a tweated wire from a cat5 cable...

Any has found a usefull USB to serie already made for J10 ? (I'm laptoped only at home !) :TNT how looks yours ?

But sure for the next productions a V2 with the choice of th esame connector + uf-l like Ian goes with its boards could be a plus !

Soren do you plan a link on your sites for soft upgrade, filters, etc and "how to"... Like you I have pain to attach document on the first page to help people to save time !

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Scrap from the "box" :)

Attachments

• seri.jpg
    seri.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 1,025
Why put expensive connectors on a board that breaks easily and where cables cost a lot when there is absolultley no techical merit? u-fl is only specified for 20 mating events and you need a tool to do it safely for 20 USD.

I dont see it happen....

//

When it comes to Lucien and WAVE IO I can only imagine it was youthful exuberance of a sort where you have always wanted to incorporate some exotic part and you do it just because ...

I would much rather deal with a solder pad!

Why put expensive connectors on a board that breaks easily and where cables cost a lot when there is absolultley no techical merit? u-fl is only specified for 20 mating events and you need a tool to do it safely for 20 USD.

I dont see it happen....

//

Because, you usually dont unplug/replug that much, and when you do, then you use the tool (which i already own). Also, there are third party u.fl-cables/connectors which is much cheaper than the japanese originals.
As said, it looks better, feels better, and are just simple to work with. Plus its not that they are expensive when you look at the whole project.
Also, i have never broken a u.fl connector - probably because i always use the tool.

Frankly, I'm waiting a wave I/O for an other project, but as it can be long to have one because Lucian has a lot of demand, I'm planning to get this one : OEM board - I2S over USB Audio . We talk about it already but had not clear answer to use it : the gnd vias are enough to match with each I2S signal with say tweasted thin cable took from a cat5 !

It has a 3.3 V output via + Gnd : 20 mA ;

Soren, are 20 mA enough to feed the isolator ?

This board is more simple to get in this part of the world than the "little" USB DIYhink you talked already !

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When it comes to Lucien and WAVE IO I can only imagine it was youthful exuberance of a sort where you have always wanted to incorporate some exotic part and you do it just because ...

I would much rather deal with a solder pad!

If You design a USB-I2S board and provide very good clocks and you dont know what will appear downstream I think it is a wise choise to put u_fl connectors on the board. But to complement these with headers like Ian do is also a good measure.

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Frankly, I'm waiting a wave I/O for an other project, but as it can be long to have one because Lucian has a lot of demand, I'm planning to get this one : OEM board - I2S over USB Audio . We talk about it already but had not clear answer to use it : the gnd vias are enough to match with each I2S signal with say tweasted thin cable took from a cat5 !

It has a 3.3 V output via + Gnd : 20 mA ;

Soren, are 20 mA enough to feed the isolator ?

This board is more simple to get in this part of the world than the "little" USB DIYhink you talked already !

That they name it I2S over USB makes me suspicious. Ther is nothimg "over" in this case as this is format conversion and not format transport.

//