• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I made a little video demonstrating how the board handles switching between different sampling rates, both with 0.8 and 0.9 firmware. You can see what the serial console outputs while the changes are being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcbBjktgCw

I tested with sampling rates up to 352.8KHz.

Playback chain is Windows Laptop -> Amanero -> DAM1021 -> SE output to preamp.

You will notice that I am not getting any plops, just a tiny 'click'. Later I will try the balanced output straight to my Hypex 400HG amp.

Use dam dac for native DSd decoding

No, DSD is digital serial signal, a digital lowpass filter in the FPGA convert it to a PCM digital parallel signal. See Direct Stream Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info on DSD.

Hi Soekris

For DSD decoding, Is it possible to program the dam dac as a simple 1bit pure DSD decoding dac?
No digital filter at all, just use the whole r2r dac as a 1 bit

For example , when dsd signal =1, set all r2r bits to high, when dsd=0, set all r2r bits to low.

2.844mhz should be ok for ur dac right?

Also, u can set the r2r high/low level for bit perfect volume control.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I've done a quick A-B test of the dam1021 versus my Buffalo III DAC.

The playback chain was as such:

1) Laptop (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc) running Windows 8.1 with Foobar, ASIO out to Amanero, I2S to dam1021, single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

2) Squeezebox Touch with EDO firmware connected to Amanero, I2S output to B III w/ IVY III I/V stage (all powered by Salas BiB power supplies), single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

The preamp was connected to my Hypex 400HG amp through single ended connections. My speakers are the Arcos II speakers.

The levels were matched by ear (I had to lower the Buffalo's output by 2dbs).

The music used was classic rock as well as some pop.

The end result was favorable for the dam1021. It had better dynamics, more detail, and perhaps a little better control of the bass. All in all, I couldn't say that the Buffalo was better in any respect.

Next step will be to compare the DACs using the balanced outputs directly on to my Hypex amp. There the Buffalo will have an advantage due to its true balanced design, so it will be an interesting comparison.

Søren, which DIYINHK interface are you using? Does it require en external psu?

Don't know, their standard basis one ? For some reason it didn't have the parts needed to take power from the USB line but have space on the PCB, I had to add those parts (a 3.3V regulator and a couple of passives). It can then supply power to the isolators on the dam1021.

I've done a quick A-B test of the dam1021 versus my Buffalo III DAC.

The playback chain was as such:

1) Laptop (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc) running Windows 8.1 with Foobar, ASIO out to Amanero, I2S to dam1021, single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

2) Squeezebox Touch with EDO firmware connected to Amanero, I2S output to B III w/ IVY III I/V stage (all powered by Salas BiB power supplies), single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

The preamp was connected to my Hypex 400HG amp through single ended connections. My speakers are the Arcos II speakers.

The levels were matched by ear (I had to lower the Buffalo's output by 2dbs).

The music used was classic rock as well as some pop.

The end result was favorable for the dam1021. It had better dynamics, more detail, and perhaps a little better control of the bass. All in all, I couldn't say that the Buffalo was better in any respect.

Next step will be to compare the DACs using the balanced outputs directly on to my Hypex amp. There the Buffalo will have an advantage due to its true balanced design, so it will be an interesting comparison.

Curious why you didn't use the same USB source (PC versus touch) for the Amanero module?

At any rate, thanks for the comparison, it gives me some motivation to hurry up and get my dam dac working.

Randy

Søren,

what about synchronous mode of dam1021? (external MCLK and I2S signals are synchronous). My I2S source is Amanero slaved to external Ian's XO board (with two Crystek XOs) which reclocks all I2S lines and provides very low jitter MCLK output.
Is it possible to enable this feature in future firmware release?

Søren,

what about synchronous mode of dam1021? (external MCLK and I2S signals are synchronous). My I2S source is Amanero slaved to external Ian's XO board (with two Crystek XOs) which reclocks all I2S lines and provides very low jitter MCLK output.
Is it possible to enable this feature in future firmware release?

Marek, you have to read up regarding this dac, because this is already one of the main features of this dac. It already have a fifo built in - and it doesnt even need mck input, so there is no sync or async for this dac, as it is with ess-dacs.

Curious why you didn't use the same USB source (PC versus touch) for the Amanero module?

At any rate, thanks for the comparison, it gives me some motivation to hurry up and get my dam dac working.

Randy

I didn't use the same source because I wanted to have both of the DACs playing the same material simultaneously. Then I was able to switch between them by selecting a different source on my preamp.

Considering that I used 2 identical Amaneros, I didn't think that the differences between the laptop and the SBT would be significant.

I didn't use the same source because I wanted to have both of the DACs playing the same material simultaneously. Then I was able to switch between them by selecting a different source on my preamp.

Considering that I used 2 identical Amaneros, I didn't think that the differences between the laptop and the SBT would be significant.

OK, I understand why you did that, makes it easier to ab.

So a suggestion, can you try swapping the PC and SBT, and see if you get the same results?

I have been upgrading my music PC, and some of the upgrades did make rather significant changes. And I have an Amanero feeding my DAC.

Randy

Marek, you have to read up regarding this dac, because this is already one of the main features of this dac. It already have a fifo built in - and it doesnt even need mck input, so there is no sync or async for this dac, as it is with ess-dacs.

I know that,I got dam1021 on my desk working with Amanero.
The goal is avoiding anoying clicks and mute when syncing after rewind or sample rate change. In synchronous mode there is no need to use onboard dejittering (and I don't need it because I got very low jitter I2S source already) and FPGA will only prepare signals for registers. Its sad that there are no reclocking after FPGA...Potato FF would be the best choice.
Anyway, dam1021 has 'FPGA MCLK OUT' on header so it is almost sure that this pin can be configured as input.

I know that,I got dam1021 on my desk working with Amanero.
The goal is avoiding anoying clicks and mute when syncing after rewind or sample rate change. In synchronous mode there is no need to use onboard dejittering (and I don't need it because I got very low jitter I2S source already) and FPGA will only prepare signals for registers. Its sad that there are no reclocking after FPGA...Potato FF would be the best choice.
Anyway, dam1021 has 'FPGA MCLK OUT' on header so it is almost sure that this pin can be configured as input.

Sorry - i thought it was one of those posts, when people hadn't read-up what it was all about.
But yes, i can agree that it would be good if the reclocking was after the FPGA, and also i would perfer the possiblity for better clocks than silabs. But, this will still be better than 99% of the market. And there is always a possiblity for a version 2.0 later on if it sells good, and Sören likes to experiment more :)

dimdim,

Thanks for your blog!

I was wondering how I was going to figure out how to upgrade the firmware.

Got lucky, my music computer board has an RS232 jack - GIGABYTE H81M-S2PV. Board has good BIOS adjustability, too, if someone is looking ...

Looking forward to future posts.

Thanks, again,

You are quite welcome Rick.

I use my blog like a notebook. I keep notes of things that took me at least an hour to figure out. I like the idea that others are benefiting from my experience (and time).

Have it running with WaveIO.
The WaveIO has its own isolator, so I had to power them both.

cheers
Torsten

Attachments

• P1000944.jpg
    P1000944.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,140