• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

There is and was no intention of giving spzzzzkt a hard time about the relay thing I was simply making a point about relays being on the board and my general disdain for relays. When I read these forums spzzzkt's posts are among those I find to be the most important these days. I wish I could do what he has done and continues to do

Though I have not had the opportunity to try his filters yet due to my own inability to load them I am grateful for his efforts.

My only intention was to say SOEKRIS had not made a design faux pas in my own unhumble opinion. It was a choice and I think he made the correct one. Just an opinion.

I do not think I suggested nor recommended anyone reload their libraries in 24/196. I mentioned why I was doing this - it takes less time to "rip" the files again than to "cut" my cue based files. I thought it important to explain why I find the DAC to sound really good and do not doubt this has bearing. Simply a full disclosure ...

AS far as having 50,000 titles in one's collection - I do not think I could ever decide what to listen to with that amount of choice. I guess I am lucky I border on the autistic in having a much more limited view of what is worth listening to along with what is worth keeping. If my digital music was not in cue format I would be more annoyed at the prospect of beginning again.

My system is horn based with low power amps so that may well explain the reason I did not experience the same tragedy. I feel very lucky.

Nonetheless, my only intention was to mention that the thing IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE sounds pretty damn good to me. After listening to nothing but LPs for the last two years I was worried I would be very disappointed in what I would hear. In combo with the new JPlay Beta I am staggered by how good it is. Digital sound quality has assuredly got much better since my last system.

I am concerned that we may have jumped to conclusions about the DAC before letting our boards fully settle in. As with any device, this DAC is getting better with more time running.

I was among the most anxious to screw around with the board and now I am glad I have taken SOEKRIS's advice to listen to the thing first before messing with it.

There is not a doubt in my mind that a separate relay muting circuit is superior to anything SOEKRIS, or anyone else, could cram on to the board.

Of course, spzzzzkt did not realize this was a problem until it was too late for his amplifiers and who would not have empathy? I certainly did not intend for it to sound like he should have known if that is how my comment was taken, nor to cast aspersion on his abilities to set up a system. Did not even occur to me until reading responses that my comments could have been taken in this way.

I mentioned the output devices in my amps only to make the point that BECAUSE OF THAT I always (well, not always as I admitted) turn the things off before switching off anything before them. When I pulled the plug on the DAC I had visions of boxing the things up to ship to California (again) for replacing the output devices. It was my lucky day.

Got to just about agree with everything here, I also think it's a fine dac, just have to bypass those damn opamps!

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Rick,

thanks for the comments.

A guy on an Australian forum advocated burning in the DAC for at least 400-500 using pink noise before even listening to it. This was based on his experience with DAC's like the MSB. It's probably very good advice, but who has the patience to wait for two or three weeks for the DAC to cook before they listen to their new toy? ;)

Like anything else I suspect the DAM1021 is going to take a while to mature to full potential. The 6moons discussion of the development of the TotalDAC notes that there were 2 years development and 5 PCB revisions before they even decided to the Vishay resistors. Given that Søren first listened to the boards after the production run was received 2-3 months ago, and most of us are still twiddling around the edges with these boards it will be very interesting to see where the project is in another 6 months, let alone by January 2017.

I've personally got plans for a stacked DAM carrier board to fit a Hammond case, but that's on hold until Søren releases firmware/details of the control/clock pass through for dual mono operation. I should have room to squeeze in muting relays with any luck :)

cheers
Paul

time to go to hdtrack and download some amazingly well recorded music...

start with this album:
http //www hdtracks com/top-hi-res-female-vocalists/the-absence

track 5 and 9 were an epiphany for me, especially the note decay...

put the red book stuff in your car.

Don't be so naive, too much of your 'hi-res' stuff is just upsampled red book content...

Concerning that particular album:
"There is a review of the download of "The Absence" in the latest (September) issue of Hi-Fi News & Record Review, where they post graphs showing that some tracks (they use "Lisboa" as an example) are upsamples from 44.1 kHz."

Listen to a copy in 16/44 and you hear 100% identical note decay...
So try before you buy with a spectrum analyzer ;)

My only intention was to say SOEKRIS had not made a design faux pas in my own unhumble opinion.

Not sure why you keep holding to that subject.
Soekris himself recognized this as "his" problem, that "he" intends to get solved (sooner or later).

Some people can apply workarounds. Many others can't.
Keep in mind that 90% of the people who are buying such a board can only do "painting by numbers".
Basically these people need a 2nd module to buy or a revised board that protects their speakers.
It has to be clearly outlined by Soekris what to do about the issue.
Obviously Soekris needs to outline how to prevent from a potential risk of frying your speakers.
And this info IMO needs to be posted on his product homepage and product documentation and not over here hidden in a lenghty thread.

Soekris might even get into trouble if his module fries the first 10k speaker.

This is a generation1 product. I think it's our (DIY community) duty to point to the (potential) weaknesses of a (first drop) board.
Soekris gets a lot of "constructive" feedback.
Already now he/his board greatly benefits from the feedback (e.g. better filters).

I do think that Soekris appreciates such a feedback.

Last edited:
If you want a DAC that sounds exactly like a TotalDAC the solution is simple....

TOTALDAC prices

;)

I believe that the sound quality will be the absolute best, better than any Delta Sigma DAC, in class with discrete DAC's from totaldac and msb technology. And for way way less cost :)

As you see from the very first post by Søren, I didn't bring up the subject of the TotalDac as a reference.
I never even claimed I want a dac 'that sounds exactly like a TotalDAC'. What I do know for certain however, is that it is indeed possible to make a discrete r2r-ladder dac sound very close to this mighty reference for a fraction of the cost. The Discrete Monica I owned utilized fairly cheap bulk resistors and cheap components in general just like the DAM102 does. The Monica with its noname eBay trafo conveyed pure sonic bliss! It played better than any dac I've tried except for the TotalDac. I could have lived with the Monica forever if it wasn't for its low level distortion due to its unipolar design.

My hope is that some day someone will produce a flawless modest priced diy-dac with the true sonics of a discrete r2r-ladder dac. I'm quite convinced it can be done. So far I don't think the DAM1021 is it.

I built the 0.01 version yesterday. Compared to my Salas Reflektor-D powered and GaryB modified Subbu V3 , it has less harsh high end but I think less tight bass. Sounds seem to be much more natural, focus is better defined and soundstage is bigger. This is more obvious when the dac is fed with 24/96 and up music. Right now I use the original filters of firmware 0.8, powered by just a 2x7.5 AC transformer, single ended, driving my truepath and maggies smg-a speaker. Hope that there is more to gain with a Bib PSU.

The Subbu is just another Delta Sigma dac, right?

As you see from the very first post by Søren, I didn't bring up the subject of the TotalDac as a reference.
I never even claimed I want a dac 'that sounds exactly like a TotalDAC'. What I do know for certain however, is that it is indeed possible to make a discrete r2r-ladder dac sound very close to this mighty reference for a fraction of the cost. The Discrete Monica I owned utilized fairly cheap bulk resistors and cheap components in general just like the DAM102 does. The Monica with its noname eBay trafo conveyed pure sonic bliss! It played better than any dac I've tried except for the TotalDac. I could have lived with the Monica forever if it wasn't for its low level distortion due to its unipolar design.

My hope is that some day someone will produce a flawless modest priced diy-dac with the true sonics of a discrete r2r-ladder dac. I'm quite convinced it can be done. So far I don't think the DAM1021 is it.

have you tried any other filters?

i can't comparatively test dacs unless i compare with a hifi system in which the dac is the only change of equipment
otherwise its not relative

that said so far i still prefer the pcm 1794 sigma delta dac i have

AIUJFJjLEaFejDwMFPgDB6skt9YYKOAAQDBMSlS9GiMMVAogX+iUUoMiBgIhJ2zUEvjmQp9ArRJdaTSIDw8ZIEgMzENkhIINC4KQ2jKFwg2Bf2R1IhAmDiUBBzh5MWShjqdRHdwsmQVMj6UnBgboAqTFFBgyAwMgSjVkhYs2EvAEWCiQA5IeVeTsyJImypGFEKwo+BAiVpkMri7tyoGrkDBblUQ4qYCFSiYzGhDcKSFJDA1fvEw0OKBDgKgCNWawWABLSqgip5o8wICGAIABmwDQQqVplR1hilTsmcPkzCMuRmBMSuDj0EBBv+CwgcSgRYJFkbp8oivwhZ8IE6DMA10YEAA7
time to go to hdtrack and download some amazingly well recorded music...

start with this album:
http //www hdtracks com/top-hi-res-female-vocalists/the-absence

track 5 and 9 were an epiphany for me, especially the note decay...

put the red book stuff in your car.

a+

Martin

Now this is a typical comment from someone who've obviously never listened to a real good discrete dac. If you had, you would forget all about the hype of expensive and laaarge hires files. A good discrete dac will make your redbook files sing and dance!

Hello everybody, my first post here so hello to all of you, and a big thank you to Søren for this splendid board. Also, a big thank you to spzzzkt for having explained earlier on in this thread how to use Zterm… without this I wouldn't have known how to link my dam1021 to my Mac…
Recently I even managed to transfer the file containing the non-filter NOS made by spzzzkt into the board and I like what I hear. It's much better than the default setting.
I have one question though about how to change filter… how do I return to the original setup? And how do I delete the file "1021NOS.srk" that I've uploaded in order to try another filter?
Thanks and happy listening…

Yes. Most of the ones in the filter thread. It doesn't alter the 'house sound' of the board IMO.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-203.html#post4253346

You know, I agree a lot with what you say and I wasn't going to say anything but... you have repeated yourself a fair bit on this thread and with nothing new (have you tried unbuffered outputs/speakers?). You're starting to make it seem like only your view is valid, or only your use case is valid (it's a forum for exchanging thoughts... doesn't it go both ways? Opinions of others matter just as much). Just cause you don't want to take value into consideration, doesn't mean the rest don't? You've dismissed/or at least publicly put down so many other people's views of the DAC on the basis that they haven't heard certain equipment which you have (and you seem to be going by audio memory...) Isn't that elitism in a way that no one likes?

So the DAC's sound isn't for you, if you're of the belief that the filter won't change it... why not sell it off and get on with what drives you?

I've tried the DAM1021 with headphones and speakers and I can say the experience is very different. It STINKS with the HD800 (I'm of the view that it has an exaggerated soundstage and those qualities don't work well with the DAM1021's presentation.) It makes it seem like singers are ON TOP of you on intimate recordings. Hard to relax when something like that happens.

It sounds pretty good with the Megatron and O2 Mk1s... smooth, balanced. That said, it also has that upfront presentation, though still very enjoyable.

On speakers, now that's a totally different ball game. While it's still upfront it doesn't detract from the experience as much. The tonality works for me and I agree with AR2 that it's easy to tap to the music. Your point on the left-right aspect of the DAM1021 still rings true and it has altered some of the soundscapes as I remembered (e.g. Damian Rice: Live at Union Chapel) the audience is decidedly on the left, while more centered on my other DACs. That said, the track Silent Night still sent shivers down my spine.

Maybe lay off on saying other people's views of the DAC is invalid/crap just because they haven't heard the ~6,900 euro TotalDAC?

Rick,

thanks for the comments.

A guy on an Australian forum advocated burning in the DAC for at least 400-500 using pink noise before even listening to it. This was based on his experience with DAC's like the MSB. It's probably very good advice, but who has the patience to wait for two or three weeks for the DAC to cook before they listen to their new toy? ;)

Like anything else I suspect the DAM1021 is going to take a while to mature to full potential. The 6moons discussion of the development of the TotalDAC notes that there were 2 years development and 5 PCB revisions before they even decided to the Vishay resistors. Given that Søren first listened to the boards after the production run was received 2-3 months ago, and most of us are still twiddling around the edges with these boards it will be very interesting to see where the project is in another 6 months, let alone by January 2017.

I've personally got plans for a stacked DAM carrier board to fit a Hammond case, but that's on hold until Søren releases firmware/details of the control/clock pass through for dual mono operation. I should have room to squeeze in muting relays with any luck :)

cheers
Paul
I know I will not be alone anticipating what you come up with!

We all wish for a $400.00 TOTALDac just as much as I wish I could have room with built in horns which I presume Brient has in his home. No question, one of the modern audio giants.

I could never get myself to spend the money for the TOTAL - though I think for what it is it is reasonably priced. At this point I enjoy screwing around with these sow's ears (though I consider them prize sows) seeing how close to the silk purse we can make them.

The best part is the interaction with folks who have a similar inclination.

High quality music in the home started as a DIY project and long after most of these box packagers have gone DIY audio will still be at it.

We are noble tinkerers and should be proud of it.