• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

For those concerned with the turn off thump - why not do what a manufacturer would do and that is place a mute switch on the output?

If you want it to be automatic there are many ways to do this.

I do not see how it can be fully addressed with firmware and would worry if it was could this have deleterious effects on sound quality?

For $25.00 you can get a kit to time delay for turn on and turn off thumps. Every tube line and phono stage I have ever owned has a turn off thump - the fancier ones have this delay function built in. I am speaking, of as an example, this item from K&K AUDIO - look down the page - K&K Audio | Other kits

Either turn your amps off first or install something like this. I do not see how this is SOEKRIS's problem.

Hi all,

I know every people here now are exciting with filters and firmware etc... I am very much behind when receive Amanero board yesterday. That why I am wonder anybody could spend some little time to take a clear picture of how to connect Amanero with the DAC?

This could also helpful for others like me I think.

Very much appreciate! :)

I share this concern..., balancing the negative rail by disipating heat is not an option for me as I'll like to turn this dac into a portable DAP, with a battery and a RPi, keep power consumption as low as possible.

@Soekris, can you comment on this issue?

Just fyi, I'm working on the blops, and expect to fix sample rate change blops 100% and power down blop mostly, enough to not damage anything.

Will also cut time changing sample rate down, to probably below 300 mS.

I've been working on a little relay and delay circuit that I will use with a remote turn=on circuit from my pre-amp, much as Mr. McInnis suggested. Mine will be a little point=to=point circuit, so not fancy. This kind of thing does give of shutting off parasitic currents when not in use. Also, relays like the Panasonic TQ2 are really quite transparent, so not much risk for SQ.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I've been working on a little relay and delay circuit that I will use with a remote turn=on circuit from my pre-amp, much as Mr. McInnis suggested. Mine will be a little point=to=point circuit, so not fancy. This kind of thing does give of shutting off parasitic currents when not in use. Also, relays like the Panasonic TQ2 are really quite transparent, so not much risk for SQ.

If you wire the relays so they shunt the signal to ground then they are not in the signal path at all, so pose zero risk to SQ.

What I find so disappointing is that this would have been so easy to integrate into the board design. And for a board that is promoted as essentially an all in one, digital preamp which can be connected straight to amps it's a show stopping flaw.

TBH I doubt I would have purchased the DAM if I'd know that it couldn't be used safely without add-on protection circuits.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Søren,

I had some very odd behaviour a couple of days ago.

I was turning down the volume and a loud POP came from the speakers...

Immediately afterwards the response curve of the volume pot changed completely. Prior to the pop incident I had to turn the volume to 12o'clock for usual listening and 3 for V+00. Volume gain was fairly linear across the range of travel.

Now the volume rapidly climbs so V-99 is a 6, normal listening (around V-30) is at 8.45. V+00 is now at about 2.00, so volume changes very rapidly at first and requires progressively more rotation per increment as volume increases.

I have replaced the pot with a conductive plastic one I'd ordered a few weeks back, and this doesn't alter the behaviour.

I've reloaded the firmware with no change to the new behaviour.

Can this be returned to previous behaviour via uManager?

Søren,

I had some very odd behaviour a couple of days ago.

I was turning down the volume and a loud POP came from the speakers...

Immediately afterwards the response curve of the volume pot changed completely. Prior to the pop incident I had to turn the volume to 12o'clock for usual listening and 3 for V+00. Volume gain was fairly linear across the range of travel.

Now the volume rapidly climbs so V-99 is a 6, normal listening (around V-30) is at 8.45. V+00 is now at about 2.00, so volume changes very rapidly at first and requires progressively more rotation per increment as volume increases.

I have replaced the pot with a conductive plastic one I'd ordered a few weeks back, and this doesn't alter the behaviour.

I've reloaded the firmware with no change to the new behaviour.

Can this be returned to previous behaviour via uManager?

Did it just happen by itself ? You didn't change anything ? Have you checked your wiring ?

Then something must have broken, there are no settings that could do that. Although it sounds like you mounted a logarithmic pot....

"Just fyi, I'm working on the blops, and expect to fix sample rate change blops 100% and power down blop mostly, enough to not damage anything."

ZTE thx for reposting.

Obviously Soekris considers himself in charge to get it fixed.
I kind of expected that, since the DAC is pretty much an end2end module/product.

Let see what he's gonna do about it.

I agree. I hope Soren can put forward an excellent fix. That said, once I got looking into a little protection circuit, I realized that I didn't mind killing most of the stand-by electrical power use and that the little protection circuit has other reasons to exist, so I expect to forward with a time delay anyway.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Did it just happen by itself ? You didn't change anything ? Have you checked your wiring ?

Then something must have broken, there are no settings that could do that. Although it sounds like you mounted a logarithmic pot....

Hi Søren,

Yes, it happened as I was turning down the volume. It had been hooked up to the TV via toslink and running this way for 3-4 hours. I was preparing to turn off the amp as I now leave the DAM on 24/7 to avoid power down DC issues.

No changes to wiring had been made since I fitted the Amanero board a couple of weeks ago. Wiring was rechecked and everything was ok. The board was running fine in this configuration - it was configured as per instructions when I received the board and wiring has only been touched to install the Amanero a couple of weeks ago.

A linear pot was fitted originally and had linear response for the entire time it was in use until the pop occured. I replaced the original pot on Friday to eliminate the possibility this was faulty.

The replacement pot I fitted was also linear, and also displays the same non-linear response:
P231-QC20BR10K - BI TECHNOLOGIES / TT ELECTRONICS - PANEL POT, 10K LIN 24MM | element14 Australia

Pot connections are:

Solid brown -> 3.3V
Solid Green -> VOL
Green/White -> GND

cheers
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
Greetings All
A question on the soft start/time delay relay solutions, could someone advise if a mains AC soft start board between the IEC inlet and Transformer be a suitable fix for the power up and down blops? There are several assembled boards on eBay designed for power amps at around $12.Some also have a standby button feature. Apologies in advance if this topic has already been covered.

On the subject of over all quality my 2 cents worth would be Sorens DAC is a great DIY product and at £200 for the 0.02% version its a bargin. I have heard no other DIY DACS as good at three times the asking price, and user modified and defined filters seem to be a unquie feature. Props to Spzzzzt et al for the filter brewing thread its been most entertaining and educational. This seems to be fantastic value added group development. Only complaint I have is I should spend more time with the wife!!
Many thanks for your efforts Soren.
Do you have any news on the digital crossover/ cascading?

Hi Søren,

Yes, it happened as I was turning down the volume. It had been hooked up to the TV via toslink and running this way for 3-4 hours. I was preparing to turn off the amp as I now leave the DAM on 24/7 to avoid power down DC issues.

No changes to wiring had been made since I fitted the Amanero board a couple of weeks ago. Wiring was rechecked and everything was ok. The board was running fine in this configuration - it was configured as per instructions when I received the board and wiring has only been touched to install the Amanero a couple of weeks ago.

A linear pot was fitted originally and had linear response for the entire time it was in use until the pop occured. I replaced the original pot on Friday to eliminate the possibility this was faulty.

The replacement pot I fitted was also linear, and also displays the same non-linear response:
P231-QC20BR10K - BI TECHNOLOGIES / TT ELECTRONICS - PANEL POT, 10K LIN 24MM | element14 Australia

Pot connections are:

Solid brown -> 3.3V
Solid Green -> VOL
Green/White -> GND

cheers
Paul

Beside a remote chance of a dead part, I can't really see anything but a bad connection, the uC do have a pulldown on the Volume Pot (uC PA0) connection, but otherwise the uC just read the voltage, do a little processing and convert to log, and then send it to the FPGA.

Only software option is to disable the potmeter, using the uManager "set volume = xx", where xx set the default volume in db (-90 - +15) and disable the potmeter, "set volume = -99" enable the potmeter again. You can use the "set" command without parameters to see current settings.

You also need to check the pot voltage at the dam1021 connector, to ensure it follow the potmeter turning.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
You also need to check the pot voltage at the dam1021 connector, to ensure it follow the potmeter turning.

Søren,

I'd reseated all the connectors when it first happened but when I pushed pins into the backs of the connector housing so I could probe the pot voltage at the header the volume started responding as it had originally done.

Looking at some of the joints on the header it seems I'd been a bit stingy with the solder so it was probably a dry joint. I've redone all the pins, and they look better than they had previously.

Anyway that looks to have fixed the problem.

thanks
Paul

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Pull down on the wiper pin? How does uP knows there is a volume pot or not? thanks.

Voltage on the pot pin with the pot at minimum setting is something like 80-90mV, the volume control switches from V-99 to V-90 at roughly 180mV. With nothing connected to the VOL pin and a pulldown to GND the voltage would be 0V.

All you would need to do is check the the voltage on the VOL pin is greater than 0V (plus allowance for noise) to determine if a pot is connected.