• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CS8416 S/PDIF MUX

I just made the prototype MUX modules available on the site.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/cs8416mux.aspx

These are identical to the production modules except for a small error with the LED's ground pin (not connected to ground). This can be fixed by adding a small jumper wire from the LED's pad to the GND pad of the control header (about 6mm).

Kit comes with a 4-position rotary switch for selecting input. You could also rig a simple digital circuit for this, or use our AC1 when it's available.

I have about 20 of the beta boards at this price. The production boards (layout error fixed) should be in stock in a couple weeks.

Jumper for mux

On these beta MUX boards the jumper should be added where you see the little blue line for the LED to light up. :)

Attachments

• pcbsmall.jpg
    pcbsmall.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 631
Variac said:
We gave the Buffalo DAC a good audition at Burning Amp. My impression was that it sounded VERY good and others I talked to felt the same way. Of course I can't speak for everyone there, and I'm sure that others will post their opinions here.

To me the sound seem very detailed but effortless.

Great!

I hope to hear some feedback from the attendees. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Variac said:
I talked to a designer from a well known DAC maker at the Rocky Mountain show, and he said that the AES is developing standards for connecting audio and video component over ethernet. The ethernet connction is robust and the standards will allow it to "dedicate" the connection between a computer and DAC so that no other data is transmitted, which eliminates conflicts and interference.

This sounds like the holy grail for this purpose. He said it will be all over within a year.

Anyone know much about this?

I have heard the concept talked about here and there.

I don't know very much about it, but it sounds cool. :)

It should allow for longer cable lengths too.

Cheers!
Russ

Buffalo CDM2-Pro

Hi Russ,

I have an Philips CDM2-Pro waiting for the buffalo, but if I want to connect the drive to the Buffalo via i2s and not spdif should I order a metrone with it or can I connect the drive directly to the Buffalo. Just asking because i2s seems to be better than spdif (jitter)

Maybe it is possible that you can tell me if this is possible I guess their are more like me waiting with a CDM2-Pro out there.

Thanks and I hope you guy's soldering iron is doing overtime ;)

I have an Philips CDM2-Pro waiting for the buffalo, but if I want to connect the drive to the Buffalo via i2s and not spdif should I order a metrone with it or can I connect the drive directly to the Buffalo. Just asking because i2s seems to be better than spdif (jitter)

Maybe it is possible that you can tell me if this is possible I guess their are more like me waiting with a CDM2-Pro out there.

This has actually been covered a few times. the CDPro outputs 48fs, but the Buffalo requires at least 64fs. The Metronome is an easy way to interface the two.

Thanks and I hope you guy's soldering iron is doing overtime

I just got the new batch of Buffalo boards today. I will likely be opening up pre-orders later this week. Shipping won't actually happen for at least 3-4 weeks, however.

BrianDonegan said:

This has actually been covered a few times. the CDPro outputs 48fs, but the Buffalo requires at least 64fs. The Metronome is an easy way to interface the two.

Thanks Brian, that clears up everything for me, I must have overlooked if it was already discussed :cannotbe:

I just got the new batch of Buffalo boards today. I will likely be opening up pre-orders later this week. Shipping won't actually happen for at least 3-4 weeks, however.

Great news that the boards are in !!! we will have to be patient.

Regards René.

npapp said:
Russ and Brian,

Thanks so much for the great DAC. My buffalo/ivy has been singing for the past two hours in it's initial test home and I already notice a nice step up in clarity and richness from my everyday player... Arcam CD73. I hope the wife is ready for a long weekend of non stop disc spinning.

Thanks again,

Nick

You should try it on a DSD capable player. Sounds really good with this characteristic DSD 'warmth' compared to 192k PCM.

Seeking help in auditioning a part change for buffalo IVY setup

Hello Folks,

Piglet's Dad and I have been discussing a compensation trick that may help eliminate the worry of any potential slewing of the IVY when used with the Buffalo.

The cool thing is its and extremely easy thing to change as the PCB was designed to support it.

But before we go changing the parts and changing the manual I would love it if a couple of you Buffalo/IVY users out there who can do it would audition the change for me and give me your opinions.

I have done the mod myself, and I find it sounds very nice indeed. But I am just one fellow, and I want to get a few more votes. :)

Anyway this is the entire change.

Add 4 10nf (actually up to 100nf is ok) film cap at C13-C16.

Additionally (this part is optional) if desired you can then replace R17-R20 with wire jumpers. This can be done temporarily at the bottom of the board by soldering a wire across the Rs.

I would love to hear back from you folks who feel like trying it.

Yes, I know the manual states not to do this. But rest assured nothing will blow up. I wrote the manual after a failed similar experiment, but the cause of the problem ended up not being the caps at all.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.