• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ,

higher means medium ?

yeah - I think I tried that - but I will try again

How can I find out more about what DPLL BW and NOTCH DELAY are ?

DPLL = digital phase lock loop ? - but what is the difference between LOWEST & MEDIUM ?

Notch delay = ??????

can I move these switches hot and without a restart ?

cheers

mike

mikelm said:
Russ,

higher means medium ?

yeah - I think I tried that - but I will try again

1) How can I find out more about what DPLL BW and NOTCH DELAY are ?

2) DPLL = digital phase lock loop ? - but what is the difference between LOWEST & MEDIUM ?

3)Notch delay = ??????

4)can I move these switches hot and without a restart ?

cheers

mike

1) Ask Dustin. :)
2) It basically the window the DPLL uses the lock. the larger the window the more jitter can get through, but the easier it is to lock and stay locked.
3) Notch delay very slightly improves dynamic range.

4) You absolutely need to cycle power after you change a switch.

Cheers!
Russ

well Russ - at present I have:

DPLL - medium
Notch delay - none

and the input as shown in picture - as before, I have found a very short digital lead sounds best - the transformer does not seem to make much of a difference - but it does not make the sound any worse as far as I can hear.

It is the best so far - only very occasional crackles - so it looks like I'm on the right track.

does this mean I have a naff transport ? If so it hard to understand how it sounds so good.

my normal analogue instinct is to be as minimalist as possible but from what you have said about it sounds as if the SPDIF MUX / receiver might help this situation. Did you find that it gave better sound when you switched to it from direct SPDIF

convenience is not really an issue for me - I just want the best possible sound . . . . please advice

thanks

mike

Attachments

• best digital input arrangement to date.jpg
    best digital input arrangement to date.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 629
Mikelm,

Have you tried shielded balanced cable for connecting the Buffalo to IVY?
My Buffalo had crackles noticeable on some music, some tracks was worse than others, swapping the cable for Buffalo output to IVY input from twisted to shielded greatly reduced it for me.
The cable I used was balanced mic cable +/- Screen, the screen was connected to the middle pin on Buffalo and IVY socket

It may not cure your problem but it maybe worth a try

mikelm said:
well Russ - at present I have:

It is the best so far - only very occasional crackles - so it looks like I'm on the right track.

does this mean I have a naff transport ? If so it hard to understand how it sounds so good.

convenience is not really an issue for me - I just want the best possible sound . . . . please advice

thanks

mike

It may be a usb issue. Some usb bridges are rubbish.

Try increasing your output buffers and or asio buffers first. If this doesn't workn try another pc before getting serious about the Buffalo.

t. said:
Have you tried shielded balanced cable for connecting the Buffalo to IVY?

thanks t. - I will try it. My noise is already very occasional so this may stop it completely.

your idea makes sense to me - it may be that having transformers on the o/p is not ideal for the sabre because any noise picked up down stream gets injected back into the DAC - perhaps some kind of buffer, perhaps jfets, on the o/p would stop this because a buffer is essentially a one way device and as such would protect the DAC o/p from outside interference

I'll let you now how I get on.

mike

fmak said:
It may be a usb issue. Some usb bridges are rubbish.

Try increasing your output buffers and or asio buffers first. If this doesn't workn try another pc before getting serious about the Buffalo.

all my current experiences are with my pioneer DV 400V DVD player with SPDIF o/p.

I tried USB, but it did not sound as good. I will come back to this later.

mike

BrianDonegan said:
Mike-

What are you using as a low pass filter on the outputs? What you are hearing could just be high frequency digital hash that needs to be filtered out (part of the task Ivy performs).

my transformers have a very steep roll off at about 200KHz and the sound I am getting is really smooth, sweet & detailed so I think my amps are happy.

In my experience amps affected by HF rubbish tend to sound rough & gritty and I am just not hearing anything like that - the sound quality is actually really excellent.

I am waiting for reports about counterpoint so I did not invest in IVY as in all likelyhood I never use it again once I upgraded.

thanks

mike

Mine starts to crackle very occasionally, maybe once in a couple of weeks. A quick power reset and it's gone, so it's not a problem I'm concerned about. If it was some kind of noise pickup it would be constant, so my guess is it's to do with signal lock drifting .....

Maybe adding an external S/PDIF receiver would help?

Dan

Spartacus said:
Mine starts to crackle very occasionally, maybe once in a couple of weeks. A quick power reset and it's gone, so it's not a problem I'm concerned about. If it was some kind of noise pickup it would be constant, so my guess is it's to do with signal lock drifting .....

Maybe adding an external S/PDIF receiver would help?

Dan

yeah - I relate to the power reset, I have seen that but my time periods are more like 10 - 20 seconds now

when I hear hear back from Russ I might order the receiver module ( when it's back in stock ).

cheers mike

Mike, I am not sure exactly when the MUX will come online, but probably in the next month.

Some things I noticed about your setup.

1) Shielding is good, try putting it a case.

2) When running the balanced signal out of the DAC try braiding the three wires. Just twisting the two and running the GND wires separately will not the best for shielding.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

1) Ask Dustin. :)
2) It basically the window the DPLL uses the lock. the larger the window the more jitter can get through, but the easier it is to lock and stay locked.
3) Notch delay very slightly improves dynamic range.

4) You absolutely need to cycle power after you change a switch.

Cheers!
Russ

Dustin, are you lurking ?

Especially the notch delay, can we have an explanation ? What is this ?

Tia.

Russ White said:
Mike, the most important wiring to keep short and neat is the analog output from the DAC.

Also, you will have a better chance top pick up noise etc if you run those lines into a high impedance. Its much better to run them into a low impedance like the IVY are other such I/V stage.

Cheers!
Russ

Sure I take ur point but rolls says he tried everything and transformers sounded the best so I will persevere with them and wait for counterpoint . . .

It takes quite a determined effort for solid state active circuitry to sound as clean as good quality passive ( but it is possible ). I'm sure the passive route can be sorted out to remove these crackles and I will be interested to compare my best passive effort with counterpoint when it arrives.

I will shield & encase everything over the next few days and in the meantime I will continue to enjoy the sublime sounds ( the crackles really make it sound like analogue - hehehe )

cheers

mike

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I talked to a designer from a well known DAC maker at the Rocky Mountain show, and he said that the AES is developing standards for connecting audio and video component over ethernet. The ethernet connction is robust and the standards will allow it to "dedicate" the connection between a computer and DAC so that no other data is transmitted, which eliminates conflicts and interference.

This sounds like the holy grail for this purpose. He said it will be all over within a year.

Anyone know much about this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.