What did you last repair?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Washing machine went dead half way through a wash. Thought 'oh great... just what I need', however when I went to turn the mains off at the switched plug the switch didn't feel right. It had been fine to turn on (nice click) but now was sat half way between off and on and with no click action.

So the washer was OK, the plug had gone open circuit.

Can anyone see why? The last picture show a new plug from stock.

Attachments

• Plug1_1.jpg
    Plug1_1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Plug1_2.jpg
    Plug1_2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Plug1_3.jpg
    Plug1_3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Plug1_4 .jpg
    Plug1_4 .jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Plug2_3.jpg
    Plug2_3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 107
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Little Bogen TP30D tuner. Not holding memory. I wanted a simple repair for a change, replaced a 2,200uF 6.3V capacitor with a 0.047F 5.5V chemical capacitor designed for memory backup.

Now it will probably hold memory for a lot longer than the original design. It is satisfying to improve on a design. I think I will use this tuner for my music on hold on my little system (Avaya Partner ACS).

-Chris

shrubs, I think the flash on your camera might need repair. Or get some new lightbulbs! :D

Flash off.

The chair is holding up well Another correction, its 6 way adjustable not 5. I'm 6' tall. with the hydraulic piston fully raised my feet can not reach the floor. I'm 220 lbs, so far not a complaint wobble out of the chair :D

I did the repair/ upgrade last June 2020. I added two layers, not three. .75 medium cost birch, and the .25 maple. Memory was a bit vague.

Attachments

• Screenshot (894).jpg
    Screenshot (894).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot (895).jpg
    Screenshot (895).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 57
shrubs, I think the flash on your camera might need repair. Or get some new lightbulbs! :D

This has driven me crazy for years. Kettle sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. :mad:

How hard can it be? Must be bent copper in the mains connector. Once past the stupid security screws with a drill, I have bent them back into shape.

Excellent. At my age we just hope things will "See us through...." :eek:

I did the light repair to two weeks ago to the day. Hung steel door, I have a long list that started with the pandemic lockdown. TT repair base, quarter sawn mission oak desk resurfacing. lots of drywall repairs, two left to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot (901).png
    Screenshot (901).png
    728.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot (900).jpg
    Screenshot (900).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot (902).jpg
    Screenshot (902).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot (903).jpg
    Screenshot (903).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot (905).jpg
    Screenshot (905).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 42
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Computer rebuilt... :D

AMD Athlon II X4 630 vs AMD FX-6300 Six-Core [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

8GB of DDR3 memory, improved onboard graphics. USB 3.1. FX-6300 six core replacing the old overclockers favourite, the Athlon X4 630.

Seems nippy enough. I bought most of the bits second-hand. Pleased with that.

A worthwhile upgrade, IMO. I ran the FX-6300 in my main workstation for a good 6 years or so before recently upgrading to a Ryzen. Truth be told, I didn't "need" to upgrade. The FX (and MB, and RAM) is now in my daughter's PC living a second life and she is perfectly happy with it for web browsing, image editing in GIMP, gaming, etc.

Even Steve over at Gamers Nexus still runs an FX-8350 on his personal workstation at home, despite the fact that he spends his days reviewing the most powerful CPUs and video cards on the market. He often clearly states that he hasn't upgraded because he doesn't need to.

Nice one the moving contact has been put in upside down :eek:

That explains the excess arcing/pitting on the one contact point, but not on the other.

Years ago, I had a car door where the electric window switches no longer worked to raise and lower the window. Opened the switches to find burned/pitted contacts. A few minutes with some very fine sandpaper cleaned them right up and they worked great after that.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That explains the excess arcing/pitting on the one contact point, but not on the other.

Indeed.

The underside hasn't even a proper contact of any kind, what you are looking at is the 'rivet' end of the palladium contact. The arm has got that hot that the plastic paddle on the switch that presses on the moving arm has melted and so can not hold the arm in position.

Replaced a bad exhaust temp sensor installed on the top of the DPF in my car.
I didn't have enough joints in my arms to reach it, so I ended up pulling the DPF, back flushed it with a high preasure washet since it was already off, and replaced the sensor.

Picture taken from below the car, you can see the wiring from the EGT sensor sticking out from the top of the filter in the middle of the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20210225_163636.jpg
    IMG_20210225_163636.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 127
I am not claiming that my efforts to improve the World are the best.

But no lack of effort. :)

I could blame my local Council for pathetic effort on Dark Skies. What Idiot installed that awful blue light on the Flats next door?

Anyway, good gardening this afternoon. Looks tidy. My neighbours congratulated me. :cool:

Attachments

• Front Garden.jpg
    Front Garden.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 125
a) Replaced a faulty Broadcomm wireless card in a laptop I use in the kitchen. The replacement card was taken from another laptop I use as an oscilloscope. Since I use Linux, I had to dive deep into package repositories to find the firmware as the driver was already loaded by the kernel.
b) Replaced a burnt microwave oven bulb which had a special mounting instead of the usual normal for small lightbulbs. To avoid having my money extortioned through my noise, I modified the original mounting to hold a normal inexpensive oven bulb. Yes, the MISER in ME is PROUD for that.
c) Modified the soldering bit of an old but very faithful magnetic Weller soldering iron. I cut the soldering bit flash with the end of the soldering iron's heater barrel. Then, I very cautiously, I drilled a 2mm hole in the copper of the old soldering bit. Slowly, I increased the diameter of the hole to 3.5mm. I drilled until I reach the iron bit at the bottom end. The whole idea is, since this type of soldering iron is becoming obsolete to sell newer incarnations, I will be able to machine various soldering bits which fit into the hole. I am planning also to machine a little round ridged so that the bit is held firmly by the bit securing barrel and nut.

Note: Machining will NOT be done on a lathe as that costs too much and will not justify the path I took. I will use an electric drill tied firmly to a table and operating at a medium to low speed as copper is a soft metal. I will then 'machine' the bit using a file.

Last edited:
I am not claiming that my efforts to improve the World are the best.

But no lack of effort. :)

I could blame my local Council for pathetic effort on Dark Skies. What Idiot installed that awful blue light on the Flats next door?

Anyway, good gardening this afternoon. Looks tidy. My neighbours congratulated me. :cool:

I can't see a blue light lol.

The garden plants and patio look good though ^.

I can hardly wait to get out there to start my gardening. As soon as the ground fully thaws out :rolleyes: