The Weather

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Round two....shoveled 3 to 4 inches off the front steps and walkway to the cars and the snow thrower, about 25 feet, and about 20 minutes. Despite being in flip flops and a t-shirt all body parts are intact and didn't go numb or turn blue.

My feet seem to be one of the warmest parts of my body. I can play in the show in flip flops or bare feet for an hour or more if it's not real cold or windy. My hands however, get cold easily and will warn me long before any other body parts are in danger of frostbite.

There is no wind right now and its right at 0 degrees C. The snow is still falling. It's supposed to end tomorrow morning, then start back up tomorrow night. If it does snow all night I will use the snow thrower tomorrow. I need to dig out my 110 foot driveway, and my neighbors 90 feet. Both are 20 feet wide.

We are about 10 miles west of the southwest corner of Pennsylvania. TV pictures of eastern Pennsylvania show similar snowfall amounts, but it's about 10 degrees colder there and windy.
I ran out in bare feet last night to check on a mouse I threw out still alive in a trap. Sucked the heat out of my feet real quick. Mouse and trap were both gone. Still waiting for a reason to fire up my snow blower...thrower..shmower

I was outside with my camera at about 7:30 AM there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground, and at least 7 on top of my van. I had forgotten to get the gas can for the blower out of the shed.

Wandering about in bare feet convinced me that I would need my boots for about 2 hours of snow removal today. They were in the van, so I shoveled my way to the van in flip flops. These pictures make my wife shiver, so she asked me to take some more pictures with her iPhone so she could send them to friends in Florida. I came inside because my hands got cold, so gloves will be required too. It's still lightly snowing.

Attachments

• P3990248_x.jpg
    P3990248_x.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 88
  • P3990249_x.jpg
    P3990249_x.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 92
  • P3990254_x.jpg
    P3990254_x.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 79
  • P3990258_x.jpg
    P3990258_x.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 78
  • P3990259_x.jpg
    P3990259_x.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 97
Bigun, we are doing the tire swap tomorrow but it seems a bit moot when it’s currently 9C at 8 am Sunday morning.

It's now firmly below zero here. Yesterday I noticed that the road ahead of me near the entrance to a roundabout (that's the English name!) was looking shiny like a mirror :eek: the car in front of me reached the ice and simply swiveled until it was pointing 30 degrees to the right but it kept on going straight on down the road like a jumbo jet landing in a cross-wind. Many more cars behind me and yet luckily nobody hit anybody.

Hey Bigun, love the pictures! I assume they were black-and-white by design, but if not it was a "happy accident". They're reminiscent of several I've seen from the 1930s and '40s from the Library of Congress - like the one below in Woodstock VT.

yes, I've taken to using film with Ilford B&W film. Got bored with digital after many years and besides the snapshots I need are mostly satisfied with an iphone so when I feel like being a bit more creative I now reach for a roll of film. I understand that Ilford and Kodak are actively expanding their factories again to keep up with the demand for film. Sounds like the vinyl resurgence.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Nice to hear the warthogs engines,

When I was at school they used to fly down the valley so were at the same height as the playing fields. I used to love them. No fuss, do what they say on the tin. Moved school and got EF-111 flying over which never impressed me as much. Uk..America's largest aircraft carrier :).

Back onto weather. The I80 crash in PA has even made BBC news. Stay safe out there. I miss proper snow, although UK is just not equipped for it.

The I-80 crash was some 60 automobiles and just reinforces that some folks just don't know when to stay home. There are folks who drive at or above the speed limit even when they can't see a safe distance. The theory is that is the speed of the road and slowing down will get them struck from behind.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.

12 inches of snow later (and a gas-leaky snow blower that wouldn't start) and we're finally dug out and warming up. Really cold for a few days there. Today I opted to purchase a new cordless 2-stage snow blower. A quick test on some leftover snow and I'm cautiously very happy with the expensive purchase. More snow possible on Sunday.

As for my sister (see above) they DID get over 4 feet of snow. My 94y.o. father 20 minutes away got 3 feet! I'm an hour and a half from them and only one foot here.

Attachments

• IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
The local air guard unit flew A-10C's for about a decade, and my warehouse of junk is adjacent to the local airport at about the midfield break point, so I got to see them ( and a bunch of other stuff ) in the air routinely, as well as when they would taxi past the GA ramp.

The local group had very nice nose art and livery, and it's been made into a decal set for scale model builders.

They're remotely flying MQ-9 Reapers and some space stuff now; I've not seen a Reaper in the air here, so I presume they are in some other part of the planet.

It was a balmy 50 F and sunny today, our snow is mostly gone.

Attachments

• ANG A-10.jpg
    ANG A-10.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 84
  • a-10_razorbacks_1024x1024.jpg
    a-10_razorbacks_1024x1024.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 50