The Weather

Most new homes here are built for 400V (Neutral + PE + 3x230V with 400V between phases), completely absurd for me to see you mention 400A.
I have a 32A breaker for my electric car and it's more than enough on my regular 230V setup.

Just had breakfast, here's the view.

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_101536_060.jpg
    IMG_20201212_101536_060.jpg
    751.5 KB · Views: 95
That looks nice! No winter here and no snow forecast for christmas.
With 230V and 32A you'll need ten hours to charge a normal electric car.
Get a small wallbox with 400V, that will speed up things.
With my Diesel, just takes 5 mins. to recharge. 1000 Km driveway, nearly enough to get to Oslo (1300km).

I hear you saying that, but I'm spending a lot less time recharging my vehicle than when I hadd a regular car. Takes me 7 seconds to plug it in or out, even if I charge it every day it's 3 minutes and 16 seconds a week compared to actually more like 7 minutes a week on my fossil fueled car if I timed it from the roundabout to the gas station and back to the roundabout.
The electric car is warm and defrosted in a minute, a diesel takes forever to get warm in winter. I have heated steering wheel and heating in even the back seats for the kids. And also cooled seats if it's hot in the summer.

I don't stand about watching the battery get recharged, the car is recharged by pre programmed schedule. If we're going somewhere we just go eat or take a leak and the car is ready to go when we're done. No standing around holding a pump.

Not to mention the service cost is a lot lower, much cheaper for me than owning a gas or diesel vehicle.

Electric trucks often have storage capacity of 200 kWh. So with a 32 amp 230 volt single phase source it would take 3 days to recharge one if fully discharged. With a car you would have to be quite skilled and a bit stupid to fully discharge it each day as when it got older you wouldn't make it home.

So even with an hour commute each way every day, even as the car ages charging time should be well under eight hours.

Last edited:
I will hold back until the batteries are provided as an exchange like propane bottles are today.
Non removable batteries will just end up dumped if a car is privately stripped for spare parts as many petrol cars are right now.
Only licensed car recycling companies have the facility to recycle batteries.

I think they make the batteries difficult to access for good reasons. You do not want to expose a user to the batteries and you do not want them to be easy to strip.
I figure somewhere in the next 2-5 years there will be a battery shortage and prices will skyrocket. Then comes the battery thefts.

When I was a kid there was a rash of engine thefts from Corvettes and like vehicles. It was just too easy to drop the engine and run off with it. Sure you needed a few people and a proper jack to do it, but it happened.

I hear you saying that, but I'm spending a lot less time recharging my vehicle than when I hadd a regular car. Takes me 7 seconds to plug it in or out, even if I charge it every day it's 3 minutes and 16 seconds a week compared to actually more like 7 minutes a week on my fossil fueled car if I timed it from the roundabout to the gas station and back to the roundabout.
The electric car is warm and defrosted in a minute, a diesel takes forever to get warm in winter. I have heated steering wheel and heating in even the back seats for the kids. And also cooled seats if it's hot in the summer.

I don't stand about watching the battery get recharged, the car is recharged by pre programmed schedule. If we're going somewhere we just go eat or take a leak and the car is ready to go when we're done. No standing around holding a pump.

Not to mention the service cost is a lot lower, much cheaper for me than owning a gas or diesel vehicle.
It's all correct. But I fear those electric cars are still primarily urban cars, for a road trip to Norway I would have to pay 80 cent/KWh using the supercharger.
Not always you are at home or could make it to your home, I love driving long distances and wouldn't like to wait up to some hours (If no supercharger is ready to use) for continuing the ride. So as long as there is Diesel available, I'll stick with it. Next generation solid core batteries may be good for longer distances and faster charging.

The way it works with an electric car is a bit different. They are great for daily use of say a few hundred km. Longer distances, the current planning is to have many fast charging stations along major roads. But what I think more likely is increased use of other transport means including railroads. For those who prefer driving in the near term one can then rent a fuel driven car! It looks like that will cost less than even paying the fast charge rates!

Around here you can for some trips put your car on a train and fly to near your destination and then pick up your car. Sometimes advertised as such a service with many options, but even on your own you can arrange to ship your car. Last I looked the DIY method was $1 per mile. The downside for the DIY is delivery dates and even locations may not be accurate!

I do fairly regularly drive distances beyond the range of electric cars. That is the nature of my business putting sound systems into stadia and other large venues. One venue I did was just under 600 miles away. About 9 hours drive time. Air travel would have been considered except it was unusually expensive and almost no direct flights. So that project alone would have been around forty trips. (When replacing a car for some reason my old cars have no significant trade in value!)

Oh to keep Cal happy, it was warm enough that my neighbor was out and about without any coat. Unfortunately he had leaves to rake! (60 F)

Last edited:
There was the time when I was traveling 80 and it was snowing, so I stopped for gas and checked the pavement. It was coated with ice. So I stopped at the first motel for the night. The middle of next morning I resumed my drive. Passed two trucks that had hit fallen trees and were off to the side. Most of the cars remaining had also found icy curves and were stuck off the side in the grass. Didn't see any that looked really crunched, just apparently driving after dark on ice might have been a bad idea.

Best of luck and timing to you!