The food thread

No sashimi :(
Sorry Scott, very little of the fish I eat is cooked. The occasional fish and chips or blackened Ahi but that's about it.
Times change, at my 8th grade graduation party (1964) they served a huge mound of steak tartar with raw egg and all the fixings.
I do my Carpaccio in a salted sauce and acid and have never had a concern. Other than the occasional projectile vomiting or bloody diarrhea that is, but hey it's worth it, right?

Isn't the concern with raw eggs related to the shell not the egg itself? Hence the washing of hands after handling eggs?

No sashimi :(

Times change, at my 8th grade graduation party (1964) they served a huge mound of steak tartar with raw egg and all the fixings.
Out of curiosity, where did you go to school ?
1964 was near the year I would have graduated high school,
and if someone would have produced steak tartar, someone
else would have called the police :)
(small town Northern California)

Isn't the concern with raw eggs related to the shell not the egg itself? Hence the washing of hands after handling eggs?

In the 80s or early 90s they found salmonella in egg yolks hence the advice was not to eat eggs raw or fried with a soft yolk.

I'd wash my hands after handling lots of eggs because there frequently is some poop on the shells.

Attachments

• Teewurstplate.jpg
    Teewurstplate.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
The only uncooked pork that is suitable to eat is dry cured.

Dry cured meat is not cooked. However, the friendly bacteria and nitrate/nitrite make it safe to eat.

I made Lomo once and it was quite good. It was dry rubbed and cured for a week. Then rubbed with paprika & lard and hung in the garage in the winter until it lost 30% of it's weight.

Prepared is not the same as raw to me. Smoked or dried is 'cooked' in my eyes. Even carpaccio done in lime, chile and soy qualifies just as ceviche qualifies, according to the so called experts.

In this case Cal it is raw, we were at a country fair near Frankfurt my son ate it right up and I confess I balked. In the states Mett is (often/always?) pickled I loved it as a kid even Oscar Meyer sold it in the Wisconsin market.

BTW I took your comment to mean you don't eat raw fish. Much of the tuna and wild salmon for sashimi is flash frozen preferably in liquid nitrogen, I was there for the Tsukiji tuna auction. It kills all the parasites, which I have been told are not typically present in our cold water tuna. A friend caught a 300lb one and I made a big batch poke with some.

I guess I've been lucky never once in my life has food "drawn blood", in the last 40 yr. I can only remember three notable incidents, illegally farmed oysters, a diseased carp from China Town, and an ill advised try of street ice cream in Mumbai.

It is also delicious and besides bread the thing I miss most since leaving Germany.

Funny you should say that. Our friends from Frankfurt talked us into taking a cruise with them on an exclusively German line (Mein Schiff) and the bread station at every meal was something else. At least 40-50 kinds of rolls and regional breads baked fresh every day.