The food thread

Growing up, this was instilled in me and something I will hold dear to my heart to the day I die.

This Law School, <snip> has made possible a vigorous Legal Aid system that has become a Canadian model. It has given students attending this School a concrete opportunity to involve themselves in the community, allowing them to leave their ivory towers to see the world as it really is and to apply their theoretical notions of what law is all about to the daily problems of those less fortunate than themselves. This is an exemplification of the Weldon Tradition.

I will stop now and return to our regularly scheduled program. Thank you for your patience as I get a little misty.

30 sausages smoked, vacuum sealed and frozen, another 30 on the smoker.

Attachments

• Ready.jpg
    Ready.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 75
Every once in a while you make something so awful looking that you dare not share...

...then you taste it. :)

Egg yolks, homemade pork and bacon pate, a dash of mayo and hot sauce and topped with a garlic and dill fermented mini English cuke.

Being the 'mother' you know it's a face only I could love.

My goodness they're delicious. Really nice balance. Each bite takes a few seconds to cycle through the flavours.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 103
Weird, just tried posting this and it just vanished... anyway, shifting this over from what did you buy today thread....
Doc, the wurst foods are sometimes the best. ;)

I know you're an old boy, like so many others among this group, I am soon to join the club, I am happy to do so. The difference being at this point is you have not experienced a good pork pate.
(others can read the food thread)

Cal: It is undoubtedly my age that induced such a bias against raw pork. Things have changed much over my lifetime, but in my youth Trichonosis was a very valid health concern. Perhaps the incidence has fallen since then, but at the time the only known method of avoidance was to thouroughly cook pork. Thus my bias persists.
Doc

They serve Mett all over Europe. IIRC in Korea they ferment it at room temperature like kimchee. Every time you think you might want to try anything you are met with new challenges.

Some of my biases have kept this old dog barking this long. Some have called me a wuss along the way.... a number of them are no longer with us. I'd maybe go for raw pork that was irradiated. But otherwise I'll keep my biases.
Doc

Ever smell a pig? Probably contributes to why in warm climates folks don't like them. Keeping cool by rolling in mud like things doesn't help. Driving the turnpike on the Pennsylvania - Ohio border in the late summer used to be a bit of a challenge due to a large "pork producer" farm near the road and border. Rolling up the windows and setting the air conditioner to minimize fresh air helped. Until you got behind a truckload of pigs in a construction area!

In other parts of the world folks share space with them. Some even keep them as pets.

It used to be US farm practice to feed leftover bits after processing to the herd. That is why trichinosis was virtually pandemic in pigs. Other cultures fed their pigs vegetable scraps. So no trichinosis and raw pork recipes.

Farming practices have changed but pigs that are raised free roaming may still pick it up as they may find and eat other animals that are carriers.

Last edited: