The food thread

Guys, I have to say, it's nice to spend more time in the kitchen. Not butchering sides of lamb yet but...
Tonight starts with cold marinaded oysters from Fanny Bay. Really large ones. Lime and chili base with salt and whatever else. Next up will be potato fries, marinaded in water, red wine vinegar and salt for a couple hours. Then patted dried, mixed with oil, drained and added to a 50-50 mix of Knorr chicken powder and corn starch plus a big dose of fresh cracked black pepper and then into the basket of the air fryer.
The rest of the meal is yet to be determined. The Mrs. is out doing Mrs. things.
I have some chilled 'yellow' chicken in the fridge along with a bunch of other things so it won't be too involved tonight, it is Saturday afterall ;)
Cheers

Last edited:
See the grouper in the avatar?

Now magically transformed by way of hot peanut oil!

Attachments

• 11655[318].jpeg
    11655[318].jpeg
    932.4 KB · Views: 69
Re: goat: It is popular in West Indian and African cuisine. I would have thought Middle Eastern cuisine as well, but they seem to feature lamb more than goat.

There is a nice little restaurant downtown which was opened as "Baba Ganoush" featuring Middle Eastern food along with North American faves like a decent clubhouse sandwich. There was an older ME guy running it (by "older" I mean about my age) and a younger guy working with him, who seemed unhappy (and a series of underpaid waitresses). They seemed to be struggling but then last year the sign changed, the old guy is gone, and it is now "Mary's African Kitchen". The young guy is still here, and the Middle Easter "Baba" menu is mostly still available, but now there is an African woman (I don't know what country she is from) working with him, I think she used to have a stall at a local farmers market. She makes wonderful food featuring stewed oxtails, juicy goat stew, juicy chicken stew, fried plantain, black eyed peas, etc. They are selling way more off the African menu than the Baba items. The stewed goat is excellent.

When I was in the southern Caribbean earlier this year I noticed a soda-pop that I was not familiar with called "Ting". Not to be confused with The TingTings. A sort of lemon-lime pop like Fresca or something. I noticed people in bars would order an "eighth" of rum, some fresh limes, and a bottle of Ting. I was not familiar with Ting at all. Then a couple of days ago I was in "Marys African Kitchen" (but getting a club sandwich with home fries) and I noticed their beverage cooler contained not only San Pellegrino, but also Ting! I never saw it before in North America.

We had excellent goat curry in India. I think some people are put off by the fact that in some places the goat is hacked up in a similar fashion to the way Cantonese hack up whole roast chicken and serve it bone shards and all.

You may be right about that. I never saw goat on the menu in southern India, but I didn't get around much.

I have probably mentioned this before, when my mother lived in Montserrat BWI back in the 1970's and later, "goat water" was the national dish. It is a thin stew or hearty soup, made with young goat and spices, usually served at weddings etc, in a cup do you sip the broth then pick up the bony goat pieces with your fingers and kind of work the meat off the bone. Usually cooked so long the meat was falling apart anyway. Very spicy and delicious. I don't think it contained much more than goat, onions, and peppers. I think I have a recipe around here somewhere.

Last edited:
I have probably mentioned this before, when my mother lived in Montserrat BWI back in the 1970's and later, "goat water" was the national dish. It is a thin stew or hearty soup, made with young goat and spices, usually served at weddings etc, in a cup do you sip the broth then pick up the bony goat pieces with your fingers and kind of work the meat off the bone.

Do you mean mannish water? Mannish water - Wikipedia

The name says it all. ;)

To Cal and NezBleu and all other friends from up North:
When you are enjoying the final game, I do hope a) you something munchy to munch on (and a bottle Champagne in the fridge to celebrate) and b) that you win.

I did see 3rd period yesterday and I who am'nt even far from a sports fan enjoyed the game. Even I saw that Marchessault, Murray Dubois and all the others,virtualkly played the socks off the Czecks.

GO CANADA, GO!!!!!:worship:

To Cal and NezBleu and all other friends from up North:
When you are enjoying the final game, I do hope a) you something munchy to munch on (and a bottle Champagne in the fridge to celebrate) and b) that you win.

I did see 3rd period yesterday and I who am'nt even far from a sports fan enjoyed the game. Even I saw that Marchessault, Murray Dubois and all the others,virtualkly played the socks off the Czecks.

GO CANADA, GO!!!!!:worship:

Thanks! Right now I'm more interested in the Memorial Cup (Canadian Junior hockey championship). My local team Halifax Mooseheads are in the final tonight against Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. The latter team have the better record in their recent meetings, in fact they played off for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League championship. Since Halifax is the host city of the tournament the Mooseheads would have been in the tournament win or lose, as would Rouyn-Noranda (either as league champs or as second-place QMJHL reps since Halifax is hosting). In a critical game last week the Huskies beat the Mooseheads 4-3 to give them the same won/lost record, but Halifax had the better goal differential so got the bye to the final.

Also, a Canadian team Toronto Raptors won last night to advance to the NBA finals for the first time. So we need a lot of crunchy salty snacks!