The food thread

I have been a soft-core LCHF-guy last week and I think I lost an inch or so off my waist.

Today I prepared a piece of pork on my grill pan with grilled cheese, mushrooms, garlic and some tomatoes (not grilled) with some good old carbonated beer.

Btw. do you have "grill chese" over there (= America). Over here it's a Greece cheese made of cooked milk, so the cheese don't melt in heat. It's real name is Halloumi.

Attachments

• IMG_7082.JPG
    IMG_7082.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 92
Over here we have this thing called American cheese that is actually made by a famous and very important French process.

However one actually has to be careful to what they are buying. There is American process cheese product which contains fat that never came from a cow! Then there is American process cheese food that it all did come from a cow but is not quite the same as American cheese, as it can contain added protein or other fun by products.

Then when the American cheese is exported to for example the UK it is really Cheddar but as it comes from the wrong place it can't be called that.

Now in the US American cheese just needs to be a blend of two cheeses to qualify for the tag.

The reason why it melts so well is that French process made the cheese an absolute go to for mothers when the medical authorities thought the then cholera epidemic might be caused by unpasteurized food. So the real distinguishing characteristic is that it has been heated enough to kill anything in it that would make it cheese.

To make a grilled cheese you place a slab of some varient of the product between two buttered slices of sliced white bread (Not like any bread you would find at a bakery.) and grill the bread until it is toasty and brown. Some insert a slice of tomato or pickle into the gooey center.

The best use is to use American Cheese to hold real cheeses when you need to create a melted sauce. At most it dilutes the real cheese flavor and may add a small bit of cheddar cheese tang.

Really scary is SW grew up where they make the stuff. No doubt he ate a lot if it! ;)

Last edited:
Wow, that much and still you survived!

Do you care to explain to the fortunate what Cheese Whiz is?

It's Cheez Whiz, my sister actually worked for Kraft for a while and we already joked about it in the early 60's. I once suggested to a friend from Philly about making a cheese steak sub from real bread, meat, and a bechamel based real cheddar sauce. He was not interested.

If you visit you can come and get some real English farmhouse cheeses, Cheese, England - Formaggio Kitchen

Last edited:
Well folks, after pondering, then pontificating about my lack of interest, Mrs Weldon thought it was about time for us to get a hot air fryer. I reminded her about both of her sisters' bad luck to no avail. She was watching the shopping channel and by golly we were going to take that step.

(sigh) Yes dear.

Got it on Friday and so far we have done breaded wings, spring rolls, breaded onion rings and breaded shrimp. Tonight I will be doing a rotisserie beef roast.

So far, the results are way beyond my expectations. The wings and rolls on Friday were after rum so I can't really tell you how they were. Today, the onion rings with a flour dredge, then milk and egg dunk and rolled in panko just about blew me out of the water. Same thing for the shrimp. I am flabbergasted how this thing that I poo-pooed so badly for years has taken me by storm. I guess my SIL's were trying to overload the machine and just didn't get what they wanted or that they had different machines. Either way, I am glad I loosened the purse strings and went for it. We have the Power AirFryer Oven Elite.

My name is Cal and I am a new addict.

AKA Farmer's Cheese. Like Scott says, super easy. Homo milk, vinegar or WHY, salt, cheese cloth. I don't add the acid until after the milk has reached temperature. If you want to go wild, add some whipping cream to the mix. Makes it expensive and it's not needed but hey, aren't you worth it? :)

Last edited:
It's difficult for me to determine what actually qualifies as American cheese it seems, and I don't want to come across as being snobby or anything but I think even the 'best' of the American cheese bunch is still a processed item and not exactly what cheese people are looking for is it? Isn't it still something for an entry level grill cheese sandwich or for the grandkids to have on their Wonder bread? It's not really cheese is it?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Halloumi is very popular in the Turkish and mid-Eastern cuisine as well. Then there is that Indian fresh cheese called paneer which also stands up to cooking, frying, etc. I think it's pretty easy to make at home, but I have never tried.

We use halloumi and paneer, but more paneer as the recipes we have are calibrated for it (and costco sell it in 1kg blocks we can cut up and freeze ready for action. Rennet being a touchy subject in India you can understand they couldn't readily make cheese the way others do :)

I am not sure I could be bothered to make my own more than once.

I think American cheese was best summed up by Bill Bryson as 'a shade of orange unknown to nature' :).

It's difficult for me to determine what actually qualifies as American cheese it seems, and I don't want to come across as being snobby or anything but I think even the 'best' of the American cheese bunch is still a processed item and not exactly what cheese people are looking for is it? Isn't it still something for an entry level grill cheese sandwich or for the grandkids to have on their Wonder bread? It's not really cheese is it?
For a grilled cheese sandwich I like to use a little 'American'
along with 'real' cheeses for the texture of the way it melts.
Same (but not as needed) for macaroni and cheese.
Pretty good on cheese-burgers too.
The real cheese, not the derived from whatever stuff.

I . M . O . ....... :)

Last edited:
I know everyone's taste is different but I don't use cheese on my burgers and mac and cheese is a wonderful world when you want it to be. The KD stuff with the agent orange is a sad example of how far down the ladder we've fallen. Done properly with your favourite cheese(s) and a dash of something like thin sliced prawns or bacon or... the list goes on, can be a great addition to a meal, not something you apologize for.