The food thread

Yeah, ever made a mistake? It happened to me, once. :D

If it's any consolation, after Doc/Thaumaturge started raising concerns about pate I totally flipped it with tartar as well.

In any case, I'm back in my old haunts of San Diego for the summer (temp job) and brought my dear friend's Indian cookbook with me as a project. Prepare yourself to be regaled with stories of my disasters and experiments with unknown vegetables/cuts of meat from the local Mexican grocery store. :)

I have a feeling it's going to be more like:

Hey guys, you gotta try this. It's really good!

I must admit, with the diversity of what we have here there are still vegetables I have not purchased or cooked. I bet you'll get right into the swing of it Daniel. Just don't be too curious about what animal that delicious looking meat came from.

Here's to hoping, and I try my hardest to eat first ask questions later (provided it doesn't look like food poisoning). :)

totally flipped it with tartar as well

I caught a long and weary case of toxoplasmosis after years of all-work and little sleep, overtiredness and an immune system with hiccup, likely cat transmitted.

Ever since I put steak in the freezer a couple of days before preparing tartar, possibly serving someone the same difficult experience I had is not my idea of hosting and cooking a tasty dish.

Trichinosis from pork is almost unheard of here these days but wild boar and especially bear are serious problems. Bear is resistant to deep freezing. I tried some d'Artagnian boar sausage recently and I can say it was boaring, folks have no idea of the taste of game anymore. They do advertise Scottish hare with some reviews from folks that don't know what to make of it.

Last edited:
From hundreds of reported cases in the US in the 40's when reporting wasn't as accurate as today to less than a dozen cases a year now about.

Some folks recover in a few months without treatment but if eaten will still pass on the parasites!

But there are other ailments one can get from under cooked infected meat. Of course almost all meat sold here is inspected for diseased animals before sale.

Now we could talk about the slower killers from tha abundance of food and over feeding!

My biases are well entrenched.
ZERO raw pork. Prefer all pork well done or well smoked.
Medium rare steaks (because bacteria has never been introduced inside the meat, but has touched outside.)
Well done on ground meats, because bacteria may be well mixed with meat in grinding.
Doc

Last edited:
simon, rolling in mud is the good part.

I have been reading a fascinating book called "1493" about the Columbian Exchange, by which is meant the massive exchange of food stuffs, diseases, and other organisms post Columbus, among European, American, African, and Asian peoples. (also minerals of course, the Spanish silver trade with China started with South American silver transported on galleons to the Philippines to trade for silks and porcelain)

Apparently many wild potatoes in the Andes are toxic (not just the seeds and fruits, but the tubers) as well as many domesticated varieties (of which there are at least hundreds). The toxins will not be eliminated by soaking or cooking, but the effect can be reduced by consuming some powdered clay with the spuds. The toxins are adsorbed on the surface of the clay and pass through our digestive systems harmlessly. Even today in small markets in the Andes they sell small bags of powdered edible clay.

During potato harvest, and this has been recorded in the 1500's as well as the current day, native South American farmers build an earthen oven that looks a bit like an igloo, right in the field. At the end of the day they build a fire in the oven until it is glowing hot, then push the coals to each side and put freshly harvested potatoes in the ovens. As night falls one can see the glowing ovens on the hilltops and smell the roasting potatoes. When they are done the farmers pull them from the fire and eat them dusted with coarse salt and powdered edible clay.

Ain't we an amazing bunch?