The food thread

In this case Cal it is raw, <snip> and I confess I balked.
I would do the same Scott.
BTW I took your comment to mean you don't eat raw fish. <snip> a big batch poke with some.
Poor communication I guess. To be more clear, I eat most fish unheated, and Poke as you know is one of my faves.
I guess I've been lucky never once in my life has food "drawn blood",
Just my raw sense of humour. Never blood but I did have a bad time with fiddleheads a while back. I think I mentioned it here.

When curing or salting salmon it is always recommended to store the salmon in the freezer before preparing it, to kill whatever parasites are dwelling in the fish.

Who reco’s that? Smoking once frozen fish is a no-go every time.
I’ve tried it on...amberjack and king mackerel, that was enough to let me know it’s not a good idea....might as well smoke a dish sponge!

Oily fish doesn’t freeze well in the first place....

I must admit I’m a freezer snob.....only hamburger, sausage etc

Half the time things have already been frozen once b4 buying.....that’s bad enough.

No self respecting parasite is gonna homestead in me anyway!:D

Yes, we say Gravlax. I do not use vodka and the dill is mandatory, not optional in my house.
gravlax recipe - Google Search
How do you name it?

Gravlax ...
I's used of seeing English words for everything (new) over here, so I am SO surprised when I see Swedish words in the English-speaking world.

And we have this salmon with gravlaxsås:

This recipe calls for decilitres. 1 decilitre is equal to .4 cup measure, or slightly less than half a cup.

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 to 2 pinches of salt
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
1/2 dl Swedish sweet mustard (a light honey-mustard could be substitued wig good results)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 dl neutral oil
salt and white pepper from the mill

Mix sugar, salt and dill (it is said that the dill flavor arrives best this way).
Mix the mustard and vinegar.
Stir in oil, little by little so that the sauce does not crack. Season with salt and pepper. let stand awhile before serving.

Judging by your avatar, you could probably teach us a thing or two as well. Always nice to have fresh blood here.

Thanks Cal,

I’ve been an outdoorsman my entire life and have always located myself to enjoy that to the fullest, this usually entails a bit rougher lifestyle because of proximity to luxury goods......you know Walmart is an hour away!

Nothing beats fresh sashimi....we always carry a tube of wasabi and high grade soy sauce while trolling for blackfin/yellowfin tuna.

Kindly ruins ya!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
We don't use Decilitres here. We use 100 mL. (pronounced 'a hundred mills') Canada is a metric country (1970) but there are a lot of imperialists still so we have both.

I think the best hang on of imperial is in Finland where you buy some fruit and veg at the market by the pint :D. A grazing lunch at the market in Helsinki is a treat I miss.

Who reco’s that? Smoking once frozen fish is a no-go every time.
It's because we (usually) don't have access to fast freezers. A family freezer will freeze the fish too slow and ice crystals will cut its texture to pieces. For salmon tartar, I either buy frozen fish or salmon from a reputable fish shop, who can guarantee me that the fish has been properly frozen and defrosted. Fish I froze myself has been less satisfactory.

In many countries, it is mandatory to flash freeze the fish if it will be served raw. In Belgium, fish served raw must have been frozen for 48h at -20°c or 15h at -35°c. A lot of high sea fish is frozen as soon as caught anyway. The best process will quickly freeze the fish at -70°c.

See for ex: Sushi Fresh From the Deep . . . the Deep Freeze - The New York Times

Last edited:
In many countries, it is mandatory to flash freeze the fish if it will be served raw. In Belgium, fish served raw must have been frozen for 48h at -20°c or 15h at -35°c. A lot of high sea fish is frozen as soon as caught anyway. The best process will quickly freeze the fish at -70°c.

Yes this is misunderstood by many people, two of the top sushi restaurants in the world use expensive commercial flash freezers. You can find interviews on the web, these are $300+ a cover restaurants. Your article is misleading in one point clams, oysters, etc. are consumed totally raw here in fact still alive. Various clams are also used in sushi.

Last edited:
It's because we (usually) don't have access to fast freezers. A family freezer will freeze the fish too slow and ice crystals will cut its texture to pieces. For salmon tartar, I either buy frozen fish or salmon from a reputable fish shop, who can guarantee me that the fish has been properly frozen and defrosted. Fish I froze myself has been less satisfactory.

See for ex: Sushi Fresh From the Deep . . . the Deep Freeze - The New York Times

Uhhh....blasphemy!

I do understand flash freezing is less invasive, and I do understand why it’s being done, it’s just wrong.....not gonna convince me it’s just as good as when it was frozen.

Our oceans have gotten a lot filthier than when I first started fishing so it might not be so bad....disappointing though!

Many a chef likes to buy fresh fish from local fishermen, which don't have fancy freezing equipment.

Never had sashimi in Europe, in fact raw fish (not shellfish) is pretty uncommon outside of a few places. I'll defer to Jiro, if you watch the film he discusses his preference for certain fish to be frozen when to be served raw.

Sukiyabashi Jiro - Wikipedia