• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Muses Volume

I have two minor suggestions:
1: (Controller board) The LDO or voltage reg. needs an input cap close to input terminal. This cap should have a capacitance value equal to or larger than the
output capacitor for performance applications.
Fortunately it is easy to install to the board, see pics. I do not remember the package size, maybe it is 1206... fits perfectly.
I tested two different LDOs in this application with and without the additional cap, and without the cap both were oscillated.

2: (Muses board) I think there is a mistake, see pic.
It is easy the cut the trace between C3 and R4 and you can use a little wire to connect c3 the other side (gnd) of the r4.

Thanks rookakoma

1: I use standard TS78L05 without any oscillation. In some cases (with low drop voltage regulators) it could necessary to use a second cap nearly the input of the reg.
Please tell us the regulator type in your buildup.

TS78L00CY
https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/A200/DS_TS78_SERIES.pdf

2: It is not really a mistake. The cap short high frequency direct between dref and vdd.

Daniel

Last edited:
Thanks rookakoma

1: I use standard TS78L05 without any oscillation. In some cases (with low drop voltage regulators) it could necessary to use a second cap nearly the input of the reg.
Please tell us the regulator type in your buildup.

TS78L00CY
https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/A200/DS_TS78_SERIES.pdf

Daniel

LD2981CU50TR STMicroelectronics | Mouser Hungary
and
MCP1754ST-5002E/MB Microchip Technology | Mouser Hungary
One of them has reverse pinout!
If I remember correctly the LD2981CU50TR fits perfectly on the footprint.

I created a BOM for the Muses Volume Control board. It has Mouser part numbers and the manufacturer's part numbers so you can order from wherever you like.

It's an Excel file (which this forum doesn't support) so you need to rename the .txt to .xls in order to read it. Right-click then save target as and change it before you save it.

It includes the optional display and IF sensor. It's important to note if you wish to use the display you will need an external +5vdc supply as the onboard regulator simply cannot reliably supply enough current to run the volume control and the display.

Good luck!

TJ

TJ, thanks for this BOM - very helpful. I used it to build a balanced setup. Note it's missing R20/R21.

Can anyone recommend a 10-pin stackable header with square pins? I bought one from Mouser (474-PRT-11376) but the pins are flat, not square, and it therefore doesn't make a secure connection to the mating part (the other channel board). None of ones I'm seeing have a datasheet/drawing...

BK

bk856er: You're welcome and thanks for the heads up on R20,21.

When I was looking up all the connectors and headers I found that Mouser was terrible with descriptions on all that stuff. DigiKey, however, was really good and had good pictures. If you haven't yet you might want to try at least looking them up there. Mouser has them too but you need to know exactly what to order. I looked them up at DigiKey and ordered from Mouser since I already had a huge cart going there.

Here's a new BOM with the missing resistors. Same deal, right click, save as and change the .txt to .xls.

Attachments

• Muses Volume Cotrol BOM.txt
    32.5 KB · Views: 195
Powered up with Jan's silent switcher, feeding 5V to the switcher input from my lab PS and drawing ~95mA total. All seems well. Love the digital readout and encoder action. Nicely done meldano!

BK

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 1,359
bk856er: You're welcome and thanks for the heads up on R20,21.

When I was looking up all the connectors and headers I found that Mouser was terrible with descriptions on all that stuff. DigiKey, however, was really good and had good pictures. If you haven't yet you might want to try at least looking them up there. Mouser has them too but you need to know exactly what to order. I looked them up at DigiKey and ordered from Mouser since I already had a huge cart going there.

Here's a new BOM with the missing resistors. Same deal, right click, save as and change the .txt to .xls.

takitaj, thanks for posting the BoM.

From what I can make out, the BoM appears to cover a 2 channel configuration. True statement?

Help with Remote Function

Hi Everyone, looking for some help here please.

I finished a 2-ch stereo version of this fine attenuator earlier this year, but like a few other people, I have been unable to get a remote to work with it. I don't have a display attached, only the IR sensor, and I am using the onboard 5V regulator. The attenuator works well in all other regards.

Input voltage to the attenuator is +/- 15.2 V from a p2p regulator that I built - it is tapped off a 28V psu. R1 is 100 Ohm, so there should be heaps of current.
The on-board regulator (KA78L05) outputs +4.5V and this is what I have as Vs on the IR sensor (TSOP 4838).

I've changed the regulator, D1 and D2, and the sensor but still no joy. I don't know where to debug next (looking at the controller IC but I have no idea what to do with it...)

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions on how to proceed.

Oh, I've tried 4 different remotes (Panasonic, Sony, Apple) and none seem to be able to talk to the attenuator.

Thanks,

-Keith-