Hornresp

Hello Helmuth,

You asked:

David I have a question can I simulate a 1"or 2" horn without knowing the TS-parameters.

My answer will differ somewhat of David's one (sorry David).

You can simulate a 1" or a 2" horn without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters, introducing Eg = 0 (in place of the normal value Eg = 2,83).

Doing this the driver will be considered as a "constant velocity source". This feature is very interesting when designing new horns without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters. For sure the results will be better than with a real driver, specially in the HF (because moving mass = 0)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello Helmuth,

You asked:

My answer will differ somewhat of David's one (sorry David).

You can simulate a 1" or a 2" horn without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters, introducing Eg = 0 (in place of the normal value Eg = 2,83).

Doing this the driver will be considered as a "constant velocity source". This feature is very interesting when designing new horns without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters. For sure the results will be better than with a real driver, specially in the HF (because moving mass = 0)

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
Thanks for the creative tip Jean Michel.

Hello David and Jean-Michel,

In the JMLC_horn_v2 spreadsheet I get the impression that the sides of a square horn(4petals) are radius*2 of the round(at the same length in the horn).

Voight recommends the same in his patent.

Ie this is a area difference of a factor ca 1,27 relative round.

Seems like the area is the same whatever shape in Hornresp.

Have I gotten it all wrong? Anyway, pros and cons of the two ways of doing it?

In the JMLC_horn_v2 spreadsheet I get the impression that the sides of a square horn(4petals) are radius*2 of the round(at the same length in the horn).
Seems like the area is the same whatever shape in Hornresp.
Anyway, pros and cons of the two ways of doing it?

Hi Lars,

The approach taken in Hornresp for square / rectangular horns is very simple. Assuming the plane cross-sectional area at axial length X is given by AREA, then Width at X = AREA / (Height at X).

It is quite some time since I last looked at Jean-Michel's spreadsheet, but I seem to recall that it takes into account the area of the curved wavefront when determining the required rectangular cross-section at a given axial length. Jean-Michel's approach would be more correct theoretically. I'm not sure how much of practical difference it makes though. He may care to comment further.

Kind regards,

David

Hello Revintage,

This question is a bit off topic here. Anyway I hope David will not feel offended if I reply here.

If you use a number of petals of 4, both the mouth and the throat are square. A square possess an area 1.2372 times larger than the inscribed circle.

As square drivers are pretty rare, if you want to use a circular driver you'll have to use an adpatator from round to circle between the driver and the horn.

I once wrote an Excel spreadsheet to calulate adptatators of the desired frequency from circle to retcangular. Infortunately it is in French, see here attached the excel spreadsheet in txt format).

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• amorce_rect.zip
    86.5 KB · Views: 63
Hello David and Jean-Michel,

I am aware that the 4 petal horn is square from start to end. I am sure you menat 1,2734? Still the thing making me wonder is that the "4-petal" from the spreadsheet does not equal a square LeCleach in Hornresp.

The question came up as I thought of using a cone driver to a midbasshorn that should be square all the way.

Just for fun this is from Voigts patent 1927:

"In the case of a square horn, the tangent to the corners is longer than that to the middle of the sides and a compromise is unavoidable. I prefer to make the section correspond to the tractrix. The shortest tangent is then correct, but the area is 4/Pi=1,27 times that of the corresponding tractrix.
If the area is made equal to the corresponding tractrix, the tangent at the sides will be short, a defect which is partly compensated for by the excess length of the tangent to the corners."

About the OT I too did a round to square spreadsheet a few years ago intended for tractrix. Must check to see if mine where made good enough...

Hello revintage

Yes I inverted the 7 and the 3 in the number (my vision is very bad...).

It is easy to understand that value:

........... the area of a square having a length of its edge = 1 is 1.

............the area of the circle included in that square is pi/4

The ratio between the area of the square and the area of the circle is thus:
........................... 4/pi = 1.27323945

(you missed the second 2 )

In the case you use a cone driver being larger than the square throat, there is no problem to use a square throat as long as it is all incuded (in projection) in the active part of the membrane. Doing this you provide a compression chamber to the loudspeaker.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello Revintage,

You wrote,

It would still be more interesting to hear about "round to square"-conversion. Either in general or in Hornresp.

That's a difficult problem.

Only modes 00, 0i, j0 exist with round horns but in horns having square or rectangular mouth other HOMs exist.

As an example see how the Altec 311-60 horn radiates (see attached graph from Altec data sheet).

What seems to happens is that the corners inside the horns have lower pressure than the near axial zones.

For a square horn eventually we could say that from the radiation point of view the horn emit nearly like if a round horn was inserted inside the square horn (that's a bad image but I hope you see what I mean)

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• altec_311_60.gif
    altec_311_60.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 309
For a square horn eventually we could say that from the radiation point of view the horn emit nearly like if a round horn was inserted inside the square horn (that's a bad image but I hope you see what I mean)

Hello Jean-Michel,

Think this is a very clever way of easy explaining what happens. If I understand you right this also speaks in favor of your and Voigt´s preferences when doing round to square conversion.

These are Voigt´s words from the patent(-27):

If the horn is to be square, I prefer to make the square so that it will fit over the imaginary circular horn, touching it along the middle of each side.

David,
Must be hard to apply the above in Hornresp?

Last edited:
Must be hard to apply the above in Hornresp?

Hi Lars,

It would not be difficult to do, but consistent with conventional practice I prefer to use the actual area given by the horn expansion law. I would rather not make arbitrary adjustments based on the shape of the cross-sectional area. It might be relatively straightforward for a square, but what about for a rectangle having an aspect ratio of say 3:1? How should that area be adjusted?

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,
Just for fun I simmed my previous Onken BR with Altec 414. The combined response is in the pdf. Doesn´t confirm with IRL measurments tha looks more like constant directivty. Did I do something wrong in the sims. EDIT: Just realized that the 1cm thick, heavy felt damping on all walls might have something to do with it.

I also simmed my vented horns. Can I combine "directivity 0 degrees" with "combined" and that way get a realistic response?

Attachments

• Hornresp.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 80
  • TracC.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 65
  • TracD.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hi Lars,

The combined response is in the pdf. Doesn´t confirm with IRL measurments that looks more like constant directivity.

The Hornresp "Combined Response" tool calculates the combined power response. Your measurements presumably show the combined pressure response, which will be somewhat different at higher frequencies due to the increasing directivity of the direct radiator driver diaphragm.

I also simmed my vented horns. Can I combine "directivity 0 degrees" with "combined" and that way get a realistic response?

"Combined Response" calculates the combined power response of two sources whereas "0 Degrees Off-Axis" shows the pressure response of a single source. Because of these differences, manually combining the two responses in the way that you suggest is unlikely to give a particularly realistic result.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited: