AEM6000 Based 50W Amp

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mouser Project 50W version

This is the Mouser cart I made and used for this project. Small bits and pieces like connectors are not included, neither are the LatFets of course. There are enough components for two channels. Buy extras though :D

The link in the previous post was dead, lets try this one.
Please save this project as your own before you modify quantities.

Enjoy!!

Mouser Electronics

@jacques: I may have some of them, I was interested in this amp some years back (still am, maybe if I don't build one of Suzy's recent creations I'll do a fully differential version - maybe Suzy will beat me to it) and I managed to get someone to send them to me. Let me do some digging...

I note the JFETs were problematic even when the article was written.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 5.20.53 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 5.20.53 am.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 448
Yep. Based on the noise performance you achieve in your design the SST404 appears to be worth the effort.

I tested the six boards I populated on a lab supply the other day. All worked and set up correctly without a glitch.
I pushed the modules a bit running them on a 45-0-45V 500W Ebay SMPS. I achieved 78WRMS@10R, 106WRMS@5R, 100WRMS@4R and 80WRMS@3R, all at the onset of clipping.

Strewth, you’ll set fire to something like that!

I like to give a newly built amp a good burn-in in a controlled environment rather than have it fail after it has been integrated into a system.

Back in about 1988 I built a pair of the AEM6500 modules http://www.cowanaudio.com/files/AEM6500.pdf which used a single 2SJ49/2SK134 pair in the output stage hanging off a stout +/-50V supply. The amp was built for use in an active system where it would only see an 8R load. Well the world continues to turn and that amplifier was removed from its original system and became the workshop test/beater amp. It's powered speakers at friends drunken parties and all sorts of stupid stuff including being run into clipping into 2R and 4R loads and driving the odd dead short. Apart from replacing the main filter caps and adding a balanced input board the amplifier has had nothing done to it and still performs remarkably well. It's a testament to the ruggedness of those old Hitachi Lateral Mosfets. I would never allow an amp with a BJT output stage explore the output devices SOA curves.

Last edited:
Hello,
very interessting project, no symasym or mutations of that and with avaiable MOSFETs.
It seems easy to build and the MELFs make the board unbelievable small. This is what I was looking for. Very suitabel to home cinema with uncountable channels. --> Thanks to suzyj!

Unfortunatly there are two disadvantages for me: SST404 und MMBTAx are no common components in Germany.

Greetings, Mat

The 50W amps found their home in a slim Hifi2000 1U chassis.
For the heatsink, I went full copper with two Dell server heatsinks bolted onto a big slab of pure copper, a gift from the metallurgy lab.
Total heatsink is about 4kg and does not get hot during normal listening.
The power supply is a 2x36V 300W SMPS boosted to 39V.
Sounds great for such a small vertical footprint, no hum no hiss, just music!

Attachments

• AEM6000.jpg
    AEM6000.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 710
Reactions: 1 users