Low distortion current driven Class-B output stage

Looks nice and interesting, what's the main advantage of this topology?
I like class-b amplifiers for their effectiveness. If they are implemented as neatly as by LKA, all the more. Class-d are therefore also on my hit list, but two big advantages of class-b to class-d are: Not necessarily SMD and no hard high frequency.
The same goes for current dumping.
Personally, I'm currently working on a class b / c amplifier, in which the power transistors are switched on from a certain current. The low quiescent current is only caused by the driver and voltage amplification.

almost completed

attachment.php

Attachments

• lexanv2-semifin2.jpg
    lexanv2-semifin2.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 1,483
Last edited:
I'm going to build a buffer version of the lexan (voltage amplification 1). The performance is amazing, the cross-over region is perfect (IMHO).

attachment.php

Attachments

• lexan-buffer-sch.png
    lexan-buffer-sch.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 824
  • cordell-models-lka.txt
    22.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Lexan-buffer.asc
    18.2 KB · Views: 96
The final LeXaN buffer schematic (voltage amplification =1). I applied Technics synchronous bias technique to the outputs. The cross-over region is very smooth, though the idle bias is 3mA per pair. The circuit doesn't suffer from cross-conduction at high frequencies and output levels (the Achilles heel of almost all Class-B implementation).
Simulated THD <= 0.01% 0.1W-100W/4R
IMHO, this is the best Class-B output stage I have ever seen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LeXaN Buffer v1.0.JPG
    LeXaN Buffer v1.0.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 732
  • lexan-buf-pcb1.JPG
    lexan-buf-pcb1.JPG
    465.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
The final LeXaN buffer schematic (voltage amplification =1). I applied Technics synchronous bias technique to the outputs. The cross-over region is very smooth, though the idle bias is 3mA per pair. The circuit doesn't suffer from cross-conduction at high frequencies and output levels (the Achilles heel of almost all Class-B implementation).
Simulated THD <= 0.01% 0.1W-100W/4R
IMHO, this is the best Class-B output stage I have ever seen.

Very interesting and nice build LKA! What's the loop feedback of the circuit, could you show simulation graph and fft to see the harmonics content?

Last edited:
Did you mean the buffer performance ? What frequencies/levels are you interested in ?
Until now I built and measured LeXaN v1 and v2, just small differences between them.
The buffer pcb is in final preparation phase, tomorrow will be send to manufacturing.

Last edited: