TGM8 - my best amplifier, incredible bass, clear highs, no fatigue (inspired by Rod Elliot P3a)

Joined 2001
Paid Member
I really like these amps! They have been powering my LX521's for about month now and I find their presentation to be detailed and powerful, but in a relaxed way, if that makes sense. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    948.7 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 704
...Here are some pictures.

looks good, I like your build - neat and some good hefty heatsinks

I've just re-ordered some more boards:

1/ 'maust' - paid for 1 pair
2/ 'maust' - paid for 2nd pair
3/ still available
4/ still available
5/ still available
6/ still available
7/ still available
8/ still available
9/ still available
10/ still available

Great, now your wife will be relieved when you explain it’s not a love letter and you’ll be getting some big speakers for the living room :)

"Unfortunately" we have speakers (and amplifiers, and DACs, and preamps, and ... ugh! cables ...) all over the place, in living rooms and others. Many more are stored and hidden - not to get things over the top. If only she knew... :)

Again, thanks for the pcbs.
May I ask you for setting up a link list (post numbers links?) for the latest state and hints for construction (I might not have fully understood the "TO-126 washer" idea, for example).

all the best
Klaus

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2001
Paid Member
lohk, a couple of tips from my builds.

Here are 2 images I made from Bigun's gerber files of the top and bottom silkscreen layers where I added footprints for the surface mount parts. Printed full size on 11x8.5 paper, they helped with locating and orienting the parts on the pcb, especially the polarity of the diodes. Like a map, this helped me a lot.

The TO-126 are used as spacers between the pcb and output devices. Cut off the 2 outside leads then bend the center lead down so it can be cut off even with the flat side of the TO-126. Place it as shown on the pcb the solder that center lead on the pad like you would solder a smd part. Make sure the TO-126 are all the same thickness.

Attachments

• TGM8 bottom silk.BMP
    128.1 KB · Views: 267
  • TGM8 top silk.BMP
    128.1 KB · Views: 217
I had a look at the BOM and ran some of the part numbers through Digikey. A few parts were out of stock so I've updated the BOM with some alternative part numbers. It's a bit of a moving target - builders need to have some knowledge of what they are doing so they can pick substitutes if some parts are not available from their favourite supplier.

I've added a couple more reference posts to the first post regarding where there is more information on the 'spacers'; look at the first post as the index and I can add more items if anybody identifies some that would be useful.

Attachments

• TGM8 Bill of Materials with some updates Jan 2019.doc
    106 KB · Views: 285
Well, they provide a photo of the package lying at the front door. This photo is not easy to recognize but it shows a ledge or front step with snow up to the edge which doesn't look to me like any part of my house. This suggests that somebody got some PCB's and must be scratching their heads!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.07.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.07.03 PM.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 667
Well, they provide a photo of the package lying at the front door. This photo is not easy to recognize but it shows a ledge or front step with snow up to the edge which doesn't look to me like any part of my house. This suggests that somebody got some PCB's and must be scratching their heads!

That is too bad, they should newer ever do that.
Canada post guy left the $300 (used) tonearm at the front of my door.
I do live in an apartment but still that is a big NO.
Who knows those packages I newer received where they are.:rolleyes:
The delivery person should pay for your lost item or get fired by the company whom he or she works.

Well, DHL called me and initiated a trace (they have GPS data etc.). They promised to get back to me tomorrow.

In the meantime, a lady who lives somewhere up the street from me returned from a trip this evening to find a DHL package on her doorstep which she kindly brought around to my house.

We're back in business :D

Attachments

• pcb order.JPG
    pcb order.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 635
If I got it right, I should be sending out some boards as follows:

1/ 'maust' - paid for 1 pair
2/ 'maust' - paid for 2nd pair
3/ 'Selwe' - paid for 1 pair
4/ 'Selwe' - paid for 2nd pair
5/ still available
6/ still available