SX-Amp and NX-Amp

Neatness is good. It makes you relax :) Dont underestimate the good feeling of a 100% finished diy project...
Here is my SX amp. Playing beautifully every day. And yes - 15W and still can rock on fairly sensitive speakers. (96dB)
359683d1452714082-15-watt-klasse-ovation-sx-img_4491.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Wow Bambadoo, that looks nice and clean. I love the dual toroids :)

Modu just makes the best chassis around if you ask me.

I have electrostatic panels. My Hiraga of about 45Watt class A sounds really good on them, but it lacks power..... Panels are voltage hungry... that's why I made the NX. More power and good topology.

In about 1 hour I will listen to the NX on the panels :) I'm driving some Tannoy's now and it sounds really promissing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Thank you Bonsai, glad you like it!

Just hooked it up in the livingroom on the panels. Nice sound stage! Needs burning in, that's for sure. But first impressions: close to my Hiraga but a bit harsher on the highs and mids. Bass is just fabulous! Dynamics are really good. Lets give it some time to "age" a bit and see how it develops.

This is a really good amp! Panels are not easy to drive and they are dead honest. Any flaw will present itself without being nice about it :) so if this was a bad amp, it would have been painfully clear from the start. As said, it is not! Very, very good!

No hum at all! I will update on the highs and mids as soon as this improves. I guess it will take some hours of playing :)

All a matter of taste :) but Hiraga low-fi? Don't think so ;) More like a tube sound... And that's a matter of taste i guess.

Hi-fi = accurate
Boosted 2nd and 3rd harmonics = not accurate.

My point is that if you are used to listening to amps that are not reproducing the highs accurately and ampt that does will sound "brighter" and even more harsh on some recordings.

Note that there is lots of space in this cabinet. No separate wires even come close to one another.
yes, that is your problem. Big Loop Area.
You appear to have used coaxial for the input. That is a very good alternative to a twisted pair, if you have connected the screen/shield/Return at BOTH ends.

All your single wires should have a return route. The signal flow and the signal return should be run as a twisted pair.
This reduces the loop area and reduces the inteference.
a bit harsher on the highs and mids
Could this be a symptom of excessive interference?

Last edited: