Best Audio Relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as I know, the showing relais from this photos are not reed versions

The 3d picture displays the printing of the pin connection numbers on the side of the relays, shows that they're not reeds, plus they're too high to be reed versions.
The text also states that those are different relays, Siegfried's work.
Still, hermetically sealed and innert gas filled, mercury wetted contacts, not bad.
Likely manufactured by Datron systems. (when it's military it's part number only and no brand names on the case)

My comment on reed relays only referred to the CP Clare types from Belgium he intended to use.

A mercury wetted relay has something like 30mR contact resistance.

Well, if it has not to be an hard to get, exotic part, the industry quality Omron G6B has the same 30mR max contact resistance, Ag-alloy contacts, fully sealed. Costs however about the same as your mercury wetted relays.

For what it's worth, Self measured no distortion with Ag-based relays.

Have fun, Hannes

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here are some I have been looking at

http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/sign/pdf/mech_eng_sx.pdf

http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/sign/pdf_cat/gn.pdf

The SX type looks interesting because they claim its for switching low level signals (mV and uA). But, I noticed they use AgPd + Au contacts, and not gold on gold. There are some application notes from them and they state the AgPd + Au contact material is best suited for switching low level signals. Kind of counter intuitive because I would have expected gold on gold to be best.

Hi Bonsai,

take a closer look ;-)

Gold is a rather bad conductor (worse than copper) and besides it's nice looks only necessary to prevent corrosion - completely unnecessary if the relay is hermetically sealed. Silver is about the best you can get for conducting materials.

If you look at the ratings, the G6K has 3 times higher contact resistance (100mR) than the G6B (30mR).

And so far, for contacts it's always been 'how low can you go'?

Have fun, Hannes

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hannes, I was not thinking about contact resistance. If th eoutput of the relay is going into 20k Ohms, maybe 100m Ohms vs 30mOhms is not such a big deal.

I am thinking about corrosion and the build up of contact oxides and other stuff. I attach the Panasonic contact material info.

Attachments

• Contact_Materials.jpg
    Contact_Materials.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,470
I am thinking about corrosion and the build up of contact oxides and other stuff

I think you will find that telecom relays are pretty good with these things. They are designed to switch rapidly over a long life time, unlike power relays which are can carry more current but don't switch as often. Just don't switch DC and your contacts will last a very long time.

Hi Bonsai,

well, good point about input impedance. If contact resistance does not matter, than a little corrosion increasing contact resistance still doesn't matter, eh ;-))

For sake of a third time, fully sealed and be done with contact corrosion of whatever material.

Have fun, Hannes

Hannes, I was not thinking about contact resistance. If th eoutput of the relay is going into 20k Ohms, maybe 100m Ohms vs 30mOhms is not such a big deal.

I am thinking about corrosion and the build up of contact oxides and other stuff. I attach the Panasonic contact material info.

Bonsai
Pass Labs X0.2 preamplifier uses Panasonic DS-2E latching type relays as input selectors. I have informed for this first time from Jacco Vermeulen (thanks Jacco) and i have seen this preamplifier from close. I am sure that you know the benefits offered from latching relays: Momentary pulse for SET and RESET; there is no need for continuous supply of coil, it works like a passive switch, thus there is not any electromagnetic affection of signal.
DPDT contact arrangement: you can use one relay per input, to disconnect except the signal conductor as well the Gnd conductor of the external Source from the Signal - Gnd bus of preamplifier. I am sure that you know that the Gnd node of any Source (CD player, DVD etc.) it is not absolutely 0V. There is always a leakage of unwanted AC components in the Gnd node. I have checked this with very sensitive headphones, in absolute silence. A DSO can not show this phenomenon. I had informed for this first time in a past thread, from our good friend - member Andy (Oz). (Thanks Andy).
A similar relay it is the OMRON G6AK-234P-XX-XX at the half price (around 6 euro). I use this type in my preamplifier with success. Latching type, two coils for set and reset, bifurcated crossbar AgPd (Au clad) contact with 50 mOhm resistance, DPDT type, plastic sealed case. I have checked that it is also used in enough Hi-End preamplifiers.

Fotios

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.