Best Audio Relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
After looking at the Hamlins, Coto, Pickering et al, I am leaning towards the Panasonic AGN or SX types. Not cheap, but small and designed to handle low level signals. Omron G6 anslo looks good - pity they don't specify th e contact material though. The Panasonic AGN by the way is a very small relay - just 10mm long.

Last edited:
Concerning the quality check of the relais switch contacts, I have this idea: using of a input selector for (extrem low level) MM/MC phono signals to check out the audible effects of different materials and brands.

Then I choice that relais with the lowest audible effect for the source select (input select) and attenuators of new amplifier projects.

This idea I get after reading this thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/142087-phono-input-selector-switch.html

Last edited:
> Well, if it has not to be an hard to get, exotic part, the industry quality Omron G6B has the same 30mR max contact resistance, Ag-alloy contacts, fully sealed. Costs however about the same as your mercury wetted relays.

Why is mercury wetted relay used for low level high impedance circuits including many precision instruments ?

Take a look at your Omron G6 datasheet. It specifies a minimum current.
Below that current, the contact resistance is undefined, because the relay actually need current to burn away the oxide layout at the contact to create micro-welding before you ever get your 30mR resistance (when new).

Different from a liquid metal contact, all dry contact ages, and the contact resistance goes up during lifetime.

> For what it's worth, Self measured no distortion with Ag-based relays.

If measured distortion is the selection criteria then we should all be building ultra high open loop gain, high-feedback, low output impedance chip amps. I wonder why this forum is not clouded with people building Self designs, but rather those from Nelson Pass and John Curl.

Or maybe we should try Class D ?

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited:
After looking at the Hamlins, Coto, Pickering et al, I am leaning towards the Panasonic AGN or SX types. Not cheap, but small and designed to handle low level signals. Omron G6 anslo looks good - pity they don't specify th e contact material though. The Panasonic AGN by the way is a very small relay - just 10mm long.

This relay is in use there:
Volume control
and the data sheets and suppliers of OMRON's G6K SMD-Relais are there:
G6K ƒT�[ƒtƒFƒX�Eƒ}ƒEƒ“ƒgƒŠƒŒ�[/“Á’·�FƒIƒ€ƒ�ƒ“�§Œä‹@Ší
G6K-2F-Y datasheet and Application Note, Data Sheet, Circuit, PDF, Pinout | Datasheet Archive
Omron | Relays, Switches and Indicators | Relays | Electromechanical Relays | Surface Mount Relays |G6K-2F-Y 12DC
Omron | Relais, Schalter und Anzeigelampen | Relais | Elektromechanische Relais | SMD-Relais |G6K-2F-Y 12DC

Hi,

I like the Omron G6K and the Panasonix TXS2S. The former because of its small size, the latter because of its low power and the massive ´clonk´ when they flip the ontacts ;)
There´s just an issue especially with the very small sized Omron, which I haven´t seen much written in literature about yet and that is crosstalk between coil and contacts.
Had to route the relais coil voltage trace below the relais in a certain instance and had to learn, that any noise or spike on the coil voltage crosstalked into the audio signal nearly 1:1. So You need to supply the Omron with a clean dc and take care of of Your layout.

jauu
Calvin

Personally I would give the Axicom (Tyco Electronics) V23105-series a try. At work we use large amounts of these with very few failures. They're used in sensitive measuring equipment that we manufacture, so they should be more than capable for use in audio ciurcuits.

Omron should be OK too, but we have had more problems with these.

I'd like to withdraw above recommendation, at least for now.

For the first time in many years, we have encountered a batch of the V23105-A5475-A201 with serious problems in some of the relays of that batch. Most seem OK, but the malfunctioning relays have problems ranging from not switching to elevated contact resistances and insufficient isolation restistance between opened contacts. We cut a few offenders open and found some sort of contamination that is not yet identified.

A sample of known problematic items of this batch has been sent to Axicom for investigation, and we are anxiously awaiting a response. Unfortunately, yesterday I discovered that a more recent production run of these relays also seems to suffer from the same problems, indicating that this might not be an isolated incident.

Last edited:
Im building speaker protect circuit and also need to use relays,
Ive been looking at whats available to me,
Ive been looking at the OMRON G2R-1-E
What do you guys think about this relay ?

http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g2r.pdf

Regards

Attachments

• Omron-G2R1EDC24.jpg
    Omron-G2R1EDC24.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 955
Same Czech manufacturing facility as in the Siemens days afaig, so one could assume something changed in the production process, no ?

Yes, a long time ago these relays were manufactured by Siemens.
Whether or not the production process has changed (recently) is unknown to me. We have been using large amounts these (and other) Axicom relays with negligible rejection for nearly a decade, until now.

The reason for the problems extending beyond one datecode might mean that the manufacturer has not been aware of them until now. No doubt when they identify the contamination will they be able to isolate and fix what causes it. I have a pretty good idea what's causing the contamination, but it's speculation until the investigation report (hopefully) confirms it.

Im building speaker protect circuit and also need to use relays,
Ive been looking at whats available to me,
Ive been looking at the OMRON G2R-1-E
What do you guys think about this relay ?

http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-g2r.pdf

Regards
Supply is 35V-0-35V AC so about 50V-0-50V DC,
If these relays are not suitable, do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks so much

My guess is that those Omron relays should do. They seem to have specs similar to the F&T F4AK024T which is the speaker relay in my Marantz amp with +/50 VDC power rails (amp is specced at 2x 90 W/140 W into 8/4 Ohms).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.