Best Audio Relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a box of Teledyne 712 relays from a ham radio operator:

Attachments

• Teledyne-712.jpg
    Teledyne-712.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 617
I have quite a few of these, some could be for sale.

Same technology as you quote, but NOS. 3 pole (can switch L+R+Ground!) They will stack on a 0,2" pitch. 5V coils.

PM me if interested. I could send you a sample.

Cliff

Attachments

• cotorelay.jpg
    cotorelay.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
I need to switch inputs in my preamp but I need as highest quality contacts/relays as possible. Writing "highest quality" I have on my mind the quality of final sound: I want to find relays which will be nearly not audible. In this thread were mentioned such relays as:
- Coto 8L Reed/Spartan
- Teledyne 712 (TO-5)
- Coto 2200 Reed
- Omron G6A-BS
- Omron G6K
- Omron G6L
- TE Connectivity RT-2
- Panasonic SX-ASX
- Panasonic TQ2
and I consider to use Coto Technology 9814-9852 Reed Series relay.

But I have not still chosen any of above. Maybe there are other suggestions?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A few years ago when I started this thread, I was fretting about what to use after reading all sorts of stories on this forum about 'relay sound' etc. I since built three preamps (see my website via the link in my signature below for details) and am very pleased with the results. I also built a few preamps in the 1970s and early '80's when I was young - used switches then though.

I have settled on using Panasonic AGN/AGNQ types

The main thing is the relay is sealed. I would not worry about minimum switching voltage current - this has more to with how the contacts behave after switching at full load/lifetime. Select the contact material correctly and if the relay is sealed, you will have no dirty contact issues to deal with at low sig levels either due to atmospheric contaminants or switching.

WRT emf, this arises when there is a temperature difference across a piece of wire (Seebeck effect). In a relay, the temperature deltas are low and caused mainly by heating effects from the coil. In any case, they will be small (uV or lower) and at very LF or DC.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.