Best Audio Relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys sorry to barge in but I need some help. I have a Muse ta2020 amp that has 2 relays for speaker protection. The model is Massuse ME-1-1-12BS. It is 2A rated but I'd need 3 or 5A at least. I measured a 2.35A maximum draw from the PS and would like to be on the safe side. Plus this type of relay is some chinese stuff that I wouldn't trust that much on some nicer speakers. There are only 2 relays to replace so I'd like to put something nice and safe rated for my application but have no idea on what "package" type or dimension. This relay is rated as mini-format or something like that because it is small, and I don't have any room left on the board for something larger, just in height can go to about 20mm. width and length can be no higher than the one that I have. I'd appreciate any help for good parts that fit and are easily available from tme or farnell. Thank you and again I'm sorry to hijack the thread with my problem.

Here's a diagram of the relay, maybe you know of something good that is miniaturized like this one.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,073
I'd like to withdraw above recommendation, at least for now.

For the first time in many years, we have encountered a batch of the V23105-A5475-A201 with serious problems in some of the relays of that batch. Most seem OK, but the malfunctioning relays have problems ranging from not switching to elevated contact resistances and insufficient isolation restistance between opened contacts. We cut a few offenders open and found some sort of contamination that is not yet identified.

A sample of known problematic items of this batch has been sent to Axicom for investigation, and we are anxiously awaiting a response. Unfortunately, yesterday I discovered that a more recent production run of these relays also seems to suffer from the same problems, indicating that this might not be an isolated incident.

crap, i got a load of those for random projects........

glad to know. ill test mine.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
After looking at the Hamlins, Coto, Pickering et al, I am leaning towards the Panasonic AGN or SX types. Not cheap, but small and designed to handle low level signals. Omron G6 anslo looks good - pity they don't specify th e contact material though. The Panasonic AGN by the way is a very small relay - just 10mm long.

I really like the Panasonic now PEW DS2Y. Have used them for over 20 years at Threshold and now Pass labs. Less than 5 failures after many many thousands. The SX are used for Phono and are one of a few guaranteed to work at uV levels unless you go space qualified.

crap, i got a load of those for random projects........

glad to know. ill test mine.

They'll probably be fine if they're from datecode 11 44 or older. This was the last batch without problems. 11 50 is identified as problematic and last friday I discovered at least one relay from 12 20 with the same tell tale signs. Once Axicom solves the problem, I have no doubt the quality of these relays will return to their normal high level.

With this post, I will put the V23105 back on the recommended list.

It looks like a fault in our production process is the cause of ingress of a contaminate that was not present during the manufacture of the relay. Both an investigation by the manufacturer and experiments by us on a known good datecode point in that direction.

Im building speaker protect circuit and also need to use relays,
Ive been looking at whats available to me,
Ive been looking at the OMRON G2R-1-E
What do you guys think about this relay ?

Hi Vostro,
G2R has very ordinary DC switching rating.

You should try Omron X rated relays, specifically for DC load switching. eg MM2X.
Rated at 10A 110Vdc or 7A 110Vdc inductive load. Hard to get and costly.
Because they are unavailable here I am using a standard LY4 but with all 4 poles wired in series to give me sufficient air gap to quench the arc quickly and reliably. Approximates 25% of the voltage across each of the poles when opening.

Cheers
John

I've completed my protection board using the 2x G2R-1-E 12DC (stereo amp),
Its comparatively low cost,
Available at Buy Non-Latching Relays SPDT PCB power relay,16A 12Vdc coil Omron G2R-1-E 12DC online from RS for next day delivery.
But can be found cheaper elsewhere.

I went on datasheet characteristics and these relays seem ok.
I have two pairs of protection running, One with amp running 35V-0-35V AC into 8R.
And another amp at 45V-0-45V AC into 8R, lets see if these relays handle abuse :)

Using one relay per speaker with normally closed clontact to ground and using diode/zener protection over relay coil.

Now time will tell the rest.

Regards

Maybe miss direction on my purchase price ( $1.00/ Ebay/ 20 piece bid in 2011 ).
Mouser units $3.50 in 2008.
As usual, cheap on impulse buy but pricey when required.

Both examples look Very similar with 10X stereo scope.
Mouser units weigh 17.2 grams.
Ebay specials weigh 16.9 grams.

What is definite is, I need to stop hoarding parts.

I am looking for an overview of the best Audio switch signal relais for speaker DC protect and speaker switch on delay of power Audio amplifier (except MOSFET relays).
Thank you very much for advices.

Today I have heard about this relais from Panasonic, formerly SDS:
http://www.panasonic-electric-works.de/catalogues/downloads/relays/ds_61005_0001_en_ds.pdf
Please read number 4 about "Features"
This URL is death in the meantime - go to
http://www.panasonic-electric-works.com/eu/ds_61005_en_ds.pdf
for Panasonic's DS-61005 series.

Last edited:
The Teledyne 712 is really nice. Yes, pricey, but well sealed, fairly fast, good contact metallurgy, and reasonably low power. The signal conduction portion of the armature is non-magnetic, and the whole package is small. If you need just a few really good relays and you can afford $25 for a DPDT, it's a good choice.

Hi

The thread is active still or not?

I am in design process of preamp. I intend to use in input selector BNC 50 Ohm sockets and relays 9814-05-00 (5VDC) type of Coto Technologies.

Here is some details from datasheet:
9814 & 9852 Series Surface Mount Reed Relaysare ideally suited to the needs of Automated Test Equipment, Instrumentation and Telecommunications requirements, Coto’s 9814 & 9852 Series is a miniature Surface Mount Reed Relay that combines small size with exceptional RF performance. The 9814 extends life at ATE loads 3X or more utilizing Coto’s proprietary switch technology. The external Magnetic Shield reduces interaction between parts in high density boards. The 9852 adds Form C capability. Small size plus added features allow for high density packing, and make these relays ideal for designs such as high speed, high pin count VLSI testers where high speed, small size and high performance are all needed.

9814 & 9852 Series Features
- Surface Mount type
- Available in Axial, Gull wing and “J” lead configurations
- High reliability, hermetically sealed contacts for long life
- High Insulation Resistance - 1012 Ω minimum (Form A)
- Coaxial shield for 50 Ω impedance
- 6.5 GHz bandwidth for RF and Pulse switching (fast rise time pulses)
- External Magnetic Shield
- Switching voltage: max 100V
- Switching current: max 0,25A
- Static contact resistance (50mV, 10mA): 0,125 Ohm
- Dynamic contact resistance (500mV, 50mA, 100Hz): 0,150 Ohm
- Capacitance - across open contacts: 0,2pF
- Capacitance - across open contact to coil: 0,5pF
- Capacitance - across closed contact to coil: 0,5pF

It would be appreciate to hear your opinions.

Janusz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.