Best Audio Relays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Bonsai

Try it by yourself will be the best way! Don't give too much on tests if you don't know the testing person! I know the K&T listening test. This test is stone age (1993) and most parts aren't available anymore.

I would propose that you buy two types of gold plated signal relays (e.g. Takamisawa, Omron) and one or two reed relays (e.g. Meder or Coto) and then try it out!

Perhaps if you have golden ears you can test it in active and passive mode and hear if there is any difference. :spin:

And... tell us your results!

> Mercury wetted relays are a non-starter for europeen comercial electronics as they are not ROHS complient.

I have had no problems imported them from USA for my own use in small quantities (50 pieces).
http://www.electronicsurplus.com/ccp71635-dpdt-mercury-wetted-100va-24v-hgj2mt-54211p02-7596.htm

They were then 6USD per piece. :)

The EU is just pushing people to use energy saving light bulbs which, guess what, contains mercury; more than you can find in the relay.

Patrick

PS There are good scientific reasons why mercury wetted relays are good for low voltage high impedance connections.
Ask some eletro-mechanical engineer about contact resistance of dry relays at currents below 50µA.
Check out who use them in industrial measurement equipment products.

Last edited:
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Verstaerker/6C33C-VV.htm

Those are C.P. Clare mercury wetted reed relays, used to be manufactured in Tongeren, Belgium.
C.P. Clare reed relays were used in the top of the range NAIM preamp.
The currently hot steam debated Densen also had 4-leg relays by C.P. Clare in their preamps.
=> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/139622-naim-nac-552-preamp-3.html#post1763429 (i'm likely the most boring person that ever lived)

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for all the replies and input.

Looks like the the mercurey wetted get the most votes. Any thoughts on reed relays where there is a coil around th e relay contacts and you have audio (low level) passing through the middle. In a more traditional construction, the contact is operated via a mechanical coupling and th e signal does not pass through the coil.

I used CP Clare's in a different life many years ago to switch process signals, but I have not used this type of relay to switch low level audio.

Hi.

Mercury wetted relays are a non-starter for europeen comercial electronics as they are not ROHS complient.

Chris

but compact fluorescent bulbs are RoHS compliant ... go figure...

If you have to switch low level signals the Silonex or Vactrol light dependent resistors are pretty interesting -- and you only need a few mA to get them going. Typical on resistance is 40 ohms, off resistance 500k or a meg.

Thanks for all the replies and input.

Looks like the the mercurey wetted get the most votes. Any thoughts on reed relays where there is a coil around th e relay contacts and you have audio (low level) passing through the middle. In a more traditional construction, the contact is operated via a mechanical coupling and th e signal does not pass through the coil.

as I know, the showing relais from this photos are not reed versions
Eingangsstufe zum Verstärker mit der 6C33C-B
But I don't know, whether this version is easy or hard to find in Japan and in general

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.