VituixCAD

Primary diffraction effects will occur up to 4kHz max, for this frequency range I would use driver Sd in diffraction tool. Operation of driver at high frequency may be effectively smaller Sd, so you may want to ignore off-axis interference that occurs when simulating diffraction directivity using datasheet Sd. I think that will be the best you'll get as far as a "simulation", diffraction tool in this situation is aiding baffle location only for that insight, in which case the effective Sd is somewhat irrelevant. For real insight of the driver's directivity, mount the driver on a baffle and measure it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having a problem with converting my Impulse Response file (from Hypex HFD) to an FRD flle. After I select the file I get an errormessage: 'The samplerate is not 44.1, 48, 88.2 etc'.

I'm pretty sure the samplerate is 48 KHz. Furthermore, it's not the first time I've done this. I never had a problem before.

Does anyone know what's going on? I've attached the Hypex file.

Attachments

• Impulse_2.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user
Automatic interval is the easiest and fastest and must support the smallest display size. 5 dB can be okay for zoomed views and 4K but that is not whole story.
1673874898877.png

How much of a slope from 100-10 000 Hz should one aim for when setting a target power response/in-room response?
Seems most go for about -5 db
I personally focus more on in-room (orange) than power response for an optimization target. In either case, increase the lower end of your target to 300Hz range instead of 100, where the speaker starts to become directional, there’s nothing to optimize at 100Hz.

For in-room, a good starting point would be -0.7dB/oct, but that may vary based on drivers used and crossover points, so sim for a target “trend line” from 300-400Hz up to 8-10kHz.

I also prefer to use listening window instead of on-axis response for axial target, at about -0.15dB/oct.

Once you get a decent result there, you might try further optimization with the preference rating features, but you may find little changes/improvements are made.

I am building an automated turn table for polar measurements. Is there any way to compensate for the fact that the axis of rotation is center of gravity instead of center of the front baffle?
I hope you just mean centre of the cabinet, which won’t be the centre of gravity, it’ll be front heavy ;)

I would focus efforts on building the turntable in a way that allows you to use the front of the baffle as the pivot point, rather than trying to fix measurement data that doesn’t use this pivot point.

I always position the speaker so that the axis of rotation aligns with the front baffle, specifically the center of the tweeter. This means the center of gravity is NOT over the center of rotation, and it can be challenging to get good measurements without the speaker falling off of the turntable. VituixCad may be able to take off-axis rotation into account, but I have never tried it.

When measuring the vertical response of a large speaker, it is sometimes necessary to suspend or support the speaker as it rotates.

Attachments

• 20220704_114506.jpg
    20220704_114506.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: 1 users
@hifijim For the speaker you’ve shown, you may be able to get away without vertical measurements at all, since all the drivers are round and located middle of a symmetrical baffle. Assuming you’ve already gathered data for that speaker, have you compared the Power & DI chart with full data set vs just loading horizontal measurements?

For measurement centre of rotation, of course you can compensate each measurement with delay for the location measured vs where it should have been, but it gets tedious/complicated with increased chance of error, as well the windowing of each measurement can get to be a fair bit off due to physical distance of speaker to mic at various angles. I would just avoid this scenario if at all possible, it’s “asking for trouble”.