Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Wonderful project, really looking forward to it. Had some very good results with these batteries in a dac, even with float charging as the difference to battery only is not audible, at least for me.
Question: is it possible to use batteries without these solder lugs? I have some at hand, but they need a battery holder.
Or maybe there are those lugs somewhere to buy, so we could improvise and clench the batteries between them like in a holder.

It will increase the internal resistance if the batteries are without these solder lugs. I am afraid that it will lose the meaning of using battery power.

@iancanada

Is it possible to parallel psu's for extended playtime?
The reason why I ask this is because of possibly use for my Class-A pre-amp which is rather power-hungry.

If not, maybe it is wise to think about possibility for extension-unit to parallel batteries.
Extension thru a header and thick cabling to 26650 holder(s).

Btw, I would prefer 26650 holders on PCB's instead of soldering those 26650's, just for easy replacement

You meeded the 16 to 32 bit conversion because you used the Rpi, right ? I am feeding my fifoII with waveio/xmos...and afterwards the BIII in Dual mono...works...or does that combo need a 32bit conversion upfront as well ?

FifoII converts I2S 16bit into 32bit. So, just enjoy and go ahead with the combo for your BIII.

Regards,
Ian

I built a DAC project this weekend.

1. LifePO4 power supply
2. Buffalo III SE DAC
3. Mercury I/V stage
4. McFifo
5. McDualXO
6. S/PDIF receiver
7. RPi
8. FifoPi (as DoP decoder and I2S 16bit to 32bit converter, this function could be integrated into McFifo later)
9. Ess controller as music format analyzer/monitor (optional)

To build a DAC project has never been this easy. I mean top quality. Because no need big transformer/s and capacitors and complicated power cables any more.

DACproject
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

+1
Love that! I got similar setup. To just stream Tidal Rpi is completely unnecessary. One can connect Chromecast Audio to spdif receiver through toslink. In such case you get possibility to control Tidal with native app (not achievable with RPI) Now:
1) try teramoto finemet transformer instead of Mercury :)
2) Haven't you thought about building such spdif receiver but wit rpi footprint? FifoPi could be easily stuck on it. You would get the market where rpi + volumio + myvolumio (3Eur/month) is used to get Tidal playback.

Last edited:
@iancanada

Is it possible to parallel psu's for extended playtime?
The reason why I ask this is because of possibly use for my Class-A pre-amp which is rather power-hungry.

If not, maybe it is wise to think about possibility for extension-unit to parallel batteries.
Extension thru a header and thick cabling to 26650 holder(s).

Btw, I would prefer 26650 holders on PCB's instead of soldering those 26650's, just for easy replacement

It's a very good question.

Because all ultra capacitor rails are isolated from each other, so theoretically, yes, you can.

The alternatively solutions would be using bigger ultra caps, such as 3000F, or having them parallel externally.

I'll try some 26650 holders to see if thy can fit.

Regards,
Ian

I thought you had a similar product of yours, how come you're using a foreign board? does it work correctly?

thank you as well.

It's just a spdif interface, noting special. So, no worry.

I'll do a interface board with everything integrated later when I get time. It's just a functional verification for now. I don't have problem.

Regards,
Ian