Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2021, 05:46 PM   #1641
sarcastic1 is offline sarcastic1
diyAudio Member

NO WAY!
There are known unknowns and unknown unknowns...

I know which one I prefer,

so, so long as I know what I don't know then that's fine by me.
Old 26th February 2021, 06:55 PM   #1642
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So the issue is simply this: the measured effect of the IIR filters isn't what theory says it should be.

TNT has a point, there are too many unknowns in this to figure out at which stage things go wrong.
I would start by applying a simple config with a single Peaking filter. Then I would try to measure that with REW directly on the analog output, without involving amplifiers or speakers. If that works and produces the expected result, then it's time to add something, like the amplifier. The once that works I would add the speaker and put the mic very close to it (few cm). Finally after that works, it's time to do the real measurement.

You wrote that you had measured on the analog out. Could you show something of those measurements?
Old 26th February 2021, 09:24 PM   #1643
emailtim is offline emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikEnquist View Post
... I have been working on trying to optimize the RustFFT library, and have managed to get some quite nice improvements.
This shows the speed of my new version compared to the current release, for all lengths 1-1024:
Attachment 900518
The really large improvements are for prime lengths, which aren't really used by CamillaDSP. The power-of-two lengths were already very good so I have not managed to improve them. The benefit for CamillaDSP is when using the synchronous resampler, where conversions between the 44.1 and 48kHz groups should become about 40% faster.

Would this be of any value or is it too green ?

Released RustFFT 5.0.0-experimental.1: Now faster than FFTW!
Old 27th February 2021, 08:09 AM   #1644
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So the issue is simply this: the measured effect of the IIR filters isn't what theory says it should be.
YEP.
Quote:
I would start by applying a simple config with a single Peaking filter. Then I would try to measure that with REW directly on the analog output, without involving amplifiers or speakers.
I did that with the loopback test.

Output XLR is connected to Input XLR. Simple.

Did you understand, that's what connecting the output to the input of the sound card does??

That gives you ONE reference channel (say the LH).
In the event I detected a slight 1dB-1.5dB roll off at 19-20khz...

At the same time the amp is fed with the output of the SPDIF, which gives it the stereo output via an (external) DAC.
(so you don't lose your LH channel output, you duplicate it).

That LH channel output is fed to the AMP, then back from the output of the amplifier via a voltage divider network (say 10:1), and now hey presto you can visualise any part of the audio spectra in real time via "scope" or record it as a 24bit audio .wav file LH (original) versus RH (amp playback) for posterity.

This gives you an exact comparison of input versus output of any stage of the process you care to mention,
no unknowns,

what you see is what you get.

Then do a SCAN 20hz-20khz.

The camilla DSP if engaged shows you the exact result on both source and destination, which can then be fed into REW as a .wav audio file for analysis.
You can compare it with "no filter" or "biquad with all values set to zero".

Quote:
If that works and produces the expected result, then it's time to add something, like the amplifier.
Don't need to. see above it DOES.

Quote:
Then once that works I would add the speaker and put the mic very close to it (few cm). Finally after that works, it's time to do the real measurement.
Exactly, which is why you can compare the AMP output, the source and the mic output.

Quote:
You wrote that you had measured on the analog out. Could you show something of those measurements?
Maybe my explanations were not so clear.
Another problem you CANNOT place a mic a few cms from a multi driver speaker, it won't work.
But that is a pro audio engineer/acoustician issue, which I don't need to describe
Old 27th February 2021, 08:24 AM   #1645
fluid is online now fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastic1 View Post
I did that with the loopback test.

Output XLR is connected to Input XLR. Simple.

Did you understand, that's what connecting the output to the input of the sound card does??

That gives you ONE reference channel (say the LH).
In the event I detected a slight 1dB-1.5dB roll off at 19-20khz...
I don't think you are understanding what Henrik is suggesting.

A loopback is to measure the card against itself to allow that to be calibrated.

Henrik is suggesting that you add a known filter to the output so that when you record it with a loopback you can see if the electrical output of the soundcard gives the response of that filter.

Quote:
But that is a pro audio engineer/acoustician issue, which I don't need to describe
Please dial this back you are not a master lecturing an apprentice.
Old 27th February 2021, 09:27 AM   #1646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't think you are understanding what Henrik is suggesting.
A loopback is to measure the card against itself to allow that to be calibrated.

Henrik is suggesting that you add a known filter to the output so that when you record it with a loopback you can see if the electrical output of the soundcard gives the response of that filter.

I most certainly DO understand.
maybe this little photo "simple comme bonjour" will make it clear?

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.-harness_loop_d-jpg

calibrating a sound card + v the amplifier output simply cannot be easier using this arrangement.

Once you have got the Amplifier response sorted and recorded on the sound file (detected a -5dB roll off from 17-20khz), you add the filter via Camilla, perform another scan test, and hey presto you edit the output of that (copy paste) in your favourite stereo audio editor putting that in the RH channel compared with the flat output from the LH channel (which you just got back from the harness above.

You can't get it wrong.

You can do any comparison you want.
Output of amp before and after camilla filter, output of DAC before and after filter, sine wave, square wave anything you like.

You can then compare it with the mic returns.
In practice my positioning of the mics in that "dead" room were validated because 2 of the (JBL) speakers came out as nigh on identical, while the other test (Vandersteen) showed them as wildly different.

Validation is everything.

That test system works.

Listening to them (audio scan test) after this aural re-education immediately made us recognise the difference, which was not obvious before.

What don't you understand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harness_loop_D.jpg (97.2 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by sarcastic1; 27th February 2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 27th February 2021, 09:54 AM   #1647
fluid is online now fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your attitude towards people who are trying to help you with a problem.
Old 27th February 2021, 11:20 AM   #1648
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Honestly - you are babbling - get to the point. No need to be sarcastic.

//
Old 27th February 2021, 11:50 AM   #1649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
babbling
Quote:
Your attitude ...trying to help you with a problem
I don't "babble" and I don't see a "problem".
I have been trying to describe in detail the validation strategy.
I thought this was useful, but OK, if you don't like it, I won't bother.

1/ The validation strategy of the speakers clearly matches.
(it's not the first time, and it's by far the most complex to manage). This is good.

2/ The validation of the DSP, also clearly is throwing up interesting results, but which appear to be different from 1/

3/ The validation of the amps & i/o calibration, clearly functions, but needs a little more work to be sure.
Astonishingly, it appears all amps tested were absolutely the same from 30hz>around 8-9khz, which is the limit of human male hearing over anything exceeding 45yrs old.

I will do another test again to see what happens at the "business end" into a resistive load.
We deployed camilla for my last resonance "room resonance removal" test (which was attended by a number of people at a "hi end" audio shop).
This was at LF.

Some liked it, some didn't.

I suspect REW is buggy, and doesn't display stuff properly.
(which I found on their previous release versions).
Old 27th February 2021, 02:19 PM   #1650
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If you think there is apriblem with one part of a system, you isolate that part an verify it in that particular parts external interfaces - not in the systems external interfaces. 101 trouble shooting 1st lesson.

//

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!