Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder

Dear all,

I'm interesting to buy this product, because I want to build my own streamer based on my Raspberry Pi. My goal it's to have :
- Raspberry Pi as streamer
- Use this I2S Isolator
- Use card with specific clock and connect it to I2S HDMI output
- And I want to have additionnal SPDIF Output

My questions are :

Which components do I need to buy in this list (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy-188.html#post4357477) for my project ?

Does this card is compatible with this SPDIF interface (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/207438-ian-asynchronous-i2s-s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy.html) ?

Sorry for my questions but there is many thread and it's not clear for me.
Thanks for your help.

Yes, it will work with all R-Pi DACs. I'll test all of them I'm having to confirm.

Regards,
Ian

Can you confirm (or otherwise) the I2S lines passing though the 40-pin header are isolated on the "top" side of the board (or are they simply pass-thru)? Or are the only isolated I2S lines the ones available through the U.FL connectors?

I as because you have earlier stated "This isloater works in transparent mode. It looks as if there is nothing between RPi and DAC for software." so though best to get clarification around my assumption.

Like Greg in an earlier post I am interested in using with a Kali re-clocker to gain isolation prior to re-clocking The Kali works through the 40-pin header so if the isolated signal is via the U.FL only and not via the header it well be very difficult to combine the 2 boards.

Thanks

Last edited:
Can you confirm (or otherwise) the I2S lines passing though the 40-pin header are isolated on the "top" side of the board (or are they simply pass-thru)? Or are the only isolated I2S lines the ones available through the U.FL connectors?

I as because you have earlier stated "This isloater works in transparent mode. It looks as if there is nothing between RPi and DAC for software." so though best to get clarification around my assumption.

Like Greg in an earlier post I am interested in using with a Kali re-clocker to gain isolation prior to re-clocking The Kali works through the 40-pin header so if the isolated signal is via the U.FL only and not via the header it well be very difficult to combine the 2 boards.

Thanks

Hi ChrisMmm,

Yes, I can confirm this isolator isolates I2S signals passing through RPi 40PIN GPIO connector. So, any I2S device on top of this isolator will be isolated from RPi I2S signals, as well as RPi ground.

Regards,
Ian

Reactions: 1 user
Hi ChrisMmm,

Yes, I can confirm this isolator isolates I2S signals passing through RPi 40PIN GPIO connector. So, any I2S device on top of this isolator will be isolated from RPi I2S signals, as well as RPi ground.

Regards,
Ian

Cool, thanks Ian.

On close look at your pics it became evident the I2S signals (well at least one I could see) are routed to the GPIO, U.FL and Odroid header.

I use a Raspberry Pi in combination with a Kali Reclocker. The Kali feeds the reclocked I2S signals to an external (Audio-GD) Dac.

Do I in my setup benefit from this I2S/DSD Isolator hat? Will sound quality be improved?

I know prices are not available yet but can any indication be given (with a broad range)?

Isolated power supply

A brand new isolated power supply is fed into the isolator. This new power supply will power PRI DAC that is stacked on top of the isolator, as well as half of the isolator, both 5V and 3.3V.

This new power supply will be 100% galvanic isolated from RPi. Ground loop will be cut completely to eliminate EMI noise introduced from ground. In this case, new power supply can be treated as audio power supply.

Linear power supply would be highly recommended, and, for even lower noise level, battery power is also possible.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC05989C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05989C1Pro.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 834
  • DSC05992C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05992C1Pro.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 836
DoP decoder board

This DoP decoder board was designed for RPi to enable its native DSD playback features. It has a 10P board to board connector at bottom of PCB to stack on top of my isolator. But actually it can be used for any DAC that capable for both I2S and DSD.

To make it easier to understand the way it works, here are some Q.A about DoP and this decoder.

What is DoP?
DoP is a protocol to transfer native DSD data over 24bit I2S package.

Why DoP?
The purpose of DoP is to send and receive DSD data by making use of existing I2S or S/PDIF I/O and devices.

Can DoP stream be converted to native DSD again?
Yes, DoP can be converted back to native DSD by either software or hardware based DoP decoder.

Is DoP a lossless protocol?

Yes, DoP is a bit perfect protocol. Native DSD stream can be re-generated losslesslly. There will be no difference with the original native DSD stream after decoding.

Does the DoP decoder still compatible with I2S music?
Yes, a well designed DoP decoder decodes DSD stream only when DoP mark is detected, normal I2S data will pass-through without any change.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC05994C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05994C1Pro.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 998
  • DSC05997C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05997C1Pro.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 983
Last edited: