• F2C28A10-5BD8-404F-9533-7FC64915394E.jpeg
    F2C28A10-5BD8-404F-9533-7FC64915394E.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 47866059-AE4A-4CA4-BF3F-031B891BC2C8.jpeg
    47866059-AE4A-4CA4-BF3F-031B891BC2C8.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 506
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Tip: as you’re pulling components from their individual bags to stuff boards, you’ll quickly find yourself with three random bags full of mounting hardware. Do yourself a favor and label them before you start :)

Attachments

• B6B3F8D9-5ECB-4C88-8A1F-80E3D13D5D58.jpeg
    B6B3F8D9-5ECB-4C88-8A1F-80E3D13D5D58.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 497
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With colours wiring picture find in Mr.Pass article another thing to savor :hypno2: Have a good time on the work bench

Edit: Check details on the high quality 6L6 photos if doubts

Why does plus power supply from the connector goes to the little filter board, then up to the switch? Would not it be easier from the connector go up to the switch, then to board? Just thinking...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Why does plus power supply from the connector goes to the little filter board, then up to the switch? Would not it be easier from the connector go up to the switch, then to board? Just thinking...

Of course you are free to wire up your amp in whatever way you like, according to your own sense & opinion of what is reasonable and what is unreasonable.

But if you are even the least bit concerned about resale value when you die, or when you declare bankruptcy, or when you divorce, or when you give the amp to your college kid and s/he sells it for drug money, you may want your amp to EXACTLY MATCH all of the VFET amp photos all across the internet, showing internal wiring. You don't want your wiring "improvements" to be interpreted as "poorly executed repair/modification" five years from now.

I may be mistaken -- but is the reward (wiring done YOUR WAY (not Nelson Pass's way)) worth the risk (diminished resale value) ??

_

Last edited:
End of the day, the ownership is all yours. Reward and risk are unique to every individual.

Out of respect, it is been stated -- construct, post pics, take good care of it, please don't sell on the open market. After that, everything ends there.

Who knows... maybe your modifications will be the next improvement, the upgrade to Turbo or next option. Walker custom and Metzger Porsches are highly prized for their thoughtful improvements to the original on the original car itself (aesthetics and performance). Bamford has made stunning modifications to Rolex watches increasing durability and overall looks.

People here will experiment because if they didn't the ACA would still be version 1.0 and not 1.8.

And after all, "Zen Mod" has been and still is living up to his user name.

Some modifications you make might you the next RH84 build igniting hotly contested debates of your modifications, but that is in the eye of the beholder (Yoko modified the Beatles, but John liked something about her). Want to paint it blaze orange so it will match the walls? Or just to tick people off? Well, that's up to you Yoko.

There are 4 different non-Passdiy front-ends coming available soon for this amp that promise to enhance the audio experience. Or you could keep it all stock.

There will be buffers put in front feeding a signal. Others may use a tube pre-amp up front (glass and sand?!?). People have mentioned stuffing the Meanwell power brick inside the housing. Some will be putting their own rectified power source inside because SMPSs aren't up for the job (ya know, that's just their opinion, man). Lead, lead tin, silver solder -- take your pick. After that, it will be speakers and will it be folded horns, full range single drivers, planars and exotics, or cornu spirals (those are the craziest and superb sounding speakers I have ever made from the diyaudio speakers section and the looks on people's faces... what you can make with simple materials is amazing).

End of the day, if it sounds good to you, then great -- goal achieved. Post some pictures and share in work.

But if you are even the least bit concerned about resale value when you die, or when you declare bankruptcy, or when you divorce, or when you give the amp to your college kid and s/he sells it for drug money, you may want your amp to EXACTLY MATCH all of the VFET amp photos all across the internet, showing internal wiring. You don't want your wiring "improvements" to be interpreted as "poorly executed repair/modification" five years from now.

_

I was sitting here happy building this amp but now I'm feeling kinda down about my impending bankruptcy, divorce and my childs future of drug addiction. :(

Joined 2004
Paid Member

My guess is because that way the filter cap stays charged all the time. Otherwise the switch would have to conduct DC current into a short (charging cap) every time it's thrown, which would wear out the contacts fast. Switching DC is harsh on switches.