DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

OK, we'll go for Beta :D

More Deltalite than Beta if I remember right

Anyway, my implementation is different, more like a ripole / folded SLOB version of the concept described in the 2010 art_slob article - the hump around 350Hz is also visible there after filtering - it can work with you or against you, depending on the FR part of the system.
- In my case it's something I have to get rid off ;)

Well SLOB details better kept for another thread

It Sings!

2 boards, 3-way LR2 (12dB) @500Hz & 6kHz, into Yamaha NS1000Ms withPass XA100, Redgum RG135, Firstwatt J2. Power from an old Mac iBook power supply. Rough adjustments of input levels to match what I had previously using DSP-based LR4 XO. Pretty happy so far(sorry for upside-down photo).

Attachments

• AF72B8E2-B4B9-4AE2-87BF-F556C4F71A01.jpg
    AF72B8E2-B4B9-4AE2-87BF-F556C4F71A01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Eminence Definimax and Eminence Beta for Nelson :)

Yes, you are right! :cheers: - I must have been sidetracked by revisiting an old SLOB thread :)
race for the bottom – lab jc

The wedge / later Nelson SLOB as you will be doing (also as shown in the WE in the link) really might be the way to go instead of the milled radius inner shape w. arrow-head splitter that I tried my luck with.
Wasn't to happy about adding the wheels - but it has been a true relief, as they are 104kg each. Would have been 128kg if it wasn't for the Neo magnets.

It is a bit worrying that people are so concerned about the input/output cap's, these are really one of the things to be least concerned about - but getting the actual filter slopes to work well in a real life listening environment should provide countless hours of fun :D

Attachments

• 20200626_071120r.jpg
    20200626_071120r.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 659
  • 20200626_071222r.jpg
    20200626_071222r.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 638
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Being almost entirely tube oriented I haven't done more than follow the leader stuff with a couple of jFets in the past. Now, having read Mr. Pass' mention of using a better -sk170 I figured to try a few of the store's LSK170B's.

Set up on a breadboard as shown with a 12V wall wart , pot under the source and 100Ω above the drain , the bias resistor has to get down to 3.5 Ohms for 6.6mA, a pretty big change from the provided j113's 100Ω for 8mA. (Even with the pot set for 0Ω the max current is only 6.8mA.).

The Linear Systems data sheet puts the B's operating current range from 6 to 10mA , which made me think that 8mA would be pretty much ideal. But even in the posted simulations they only get to 8mA with almost no bias . Or is my thought to compare one with the other wrong?

Am I on the right track with any of this?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 5Ω Bias.jpg
    5Ω Bias.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 723
  • 3Ω Bias.jpg
    3Ω Bias.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 698
  • 0.1Ω Bias.jpg
    0.1Ω Bias.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 679
to norgaard #330

Hello Norgaard,

how does the 6-24XO play/sound?

I like your system! Some blocks of concrete below the speakers?
(I had blocks of concrete below my vinyl-players :D)

I also don't understand, why many members are afraid of the bipolar in-/outputcaps. The NICHICON UES BP ('greensleeves') do a fantastic job!
Many should try and listen....
I compared them in other builds (B1 NUTUBE, M2X) against MKPs and well known expensive foil caps. Some were multiple the price of the 'greensleeves'.
But not really or much better. Test yourself! :rolleyes:

Greets
Dirk

Reactions: 1 user
nice bikes :)
Thanks, it's another area of DIY, which some would state has (also) gotten out of hand ;)

Hello Norgaard,

how does the 6-24XO play/sound?

The boards and parts finally arrived from customs this Monday, as did some long awaited AE 15 dipoles, which are now under test, so I am afraid it could take a while yet until I get the time to finalize the build.

I like your system! Some blocks of concrete below the speakers?
(I had blocks of concrete below my vinyl-players :D)

They are there to prevent seasickness! Raises the speaker (tweeter) to an appropriate height and keeps the floor somewhat under control :p

I also don't understand, why many members are afraid of the bipolar in-/outputcaps. The NICHICON UES BP ('greensleeves') do a fantastic job!
Many should try and listen....
I compared them in other builds (B1 NUTUBE, M2X) against MKPs and well known expensive foil caps. Some were multiple the price of the 'greensleeves'.
But not really or much better. Test yourself! :rolleyes:

Greets
Dirk

While I do experience differences on the coupling caps there are a lot of cases where even electrolytic caps do a surprisingly good job. I have a set of well renowned and ruthlessly revealing active studio monitors, - w. e-caps in series on the signal. :bigeyes:
It just really indicates that most people (myself included) really should look elsewhere for "bigger fish to fry" - as the gain off "optimization" is likely marginal.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before; In fact some of the really big low DA/ESR high voltage large surface caps are more than likely to induce all sorts of other problems in regard to picking up noise, EMI/EMC, inductance from long connections, working as antennas, coupling to the surrounding circuitry and either picking up or inducing additional vibrations...

They do not have to be a problem if integrated correctly - but some careful attention is needed or it could easily backfire and end up counterproductive.

Last edited: