LX-mini Crossover Article

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This board can be adapted to the +2 and S versions without much trouble.

It needs some different RC values and an additional 4 pole low pass filter.

A Class D subwoofer plate amp will take care of the latter.

What appears to be suitable is the following for $95

Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Plate Amplifier Module No Boost

I tested the smaller version and was surprised at how much value it
offered.

Here are the desired response curves and a MicroCap schematic of
the components that deliver the mid and hi curves for the board.

:cheers:

Attachments

• LX MINI +2 RESP.gif
    LX MINI +2 RESP.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 747
  • lx +2 mid-hi sch.gif
    lx +2 mid-hi sch.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 768
I purchased the LX mini + 2 (3 way crossover) Nelson Pass Crossover from Frank; stuck in shipping - Germany due to Covid19. I already assembled the dipole box with the Seas woofer from Madisound.

Currently using the DIYStore LX mini crossover I built awhile back. Extremely pleased, but excited to hear the 3 way since another piano player / DIY builder went from 2 way to 3 way. I also play piano, and the piano actually sits between my LX mini...very interested in hearing the first two piano octaves with the piano. I understand the 3 way is marvelous with solo piano, which is what I would like to hear and experience.

I will be putting my existing LX mini crossover analog crossover for sale in the swap meet in the near future (after I get the 3 way crossover).

-stu

Free Giveaway: LXmini mitered HDF baseplate set

We have some dark anthracite LXmini precision mitered HDF baseplates sets as free giveaway. (HDF appears like MDF, but is 50% more dense, edges don´t become frayed).

They are ready take up the 4"-tubes´ end caps and come with SpeakOn holders.

For ordering, just sign up with your shipping adress and settle the shipping cost.http://www.magiclx521.com/LXmini-Baseplate-Set/en

Enjoy!

Frank

Hi all,

Any help appreciated.

I have been using the analog crossover with no mods for the past 6 plus month with the LX Mini. About a month or so ago the right channel speaker audio volume began playing several db less than the left channel. I made no changes to any settings on the crossover and no changes to the equipment.

I finally removed the crossover from the setup and played the lx mini speakers without the crossover just to help isolate my issue. Both left and right channels (speakers and amps and preamps) volume is balanced when music played. I then put the crossover back into the equation with the same music, and the right channel is volume is diminished.

I then took the cross over to my bench and began running multimeter voltage tests on all the resistors per Papa's page 12 board build page. All were within reason...except maybe R31 and R32, which both read 11.02 volts as opposed to approx 12 volts ---> not sure if this 11 volt is too low and contributing to my issue.

Other than those two resistors, all the other voltages are within tolerance.

Could the R31 and R32 low voltage cause the right channel gain to diminish?

----

My other thought is that perhaps the P3 and P4 pots might be failing?

----

A possible cause. I left my stereo rig running one day and forgotten it was still on but not playing music. I am also an amateur radio operator. I was running some 160m and 80m transmission tests with about 600 watts output. My ham shack (in the garage) happens to share a common wall with my music room (stereo equipment and musical instruments). When I keyed up to SWR tune my ham radio / antenna config, I immediately heard a very loud squeal from my music room...clearly the audio equipment picked up ham transmission test signal.

I subsequently tested the stereo amps and the preamp without the crossover....both channels work fine ---> no diminished right channel volume issue.

Could I have overloaded the crossover? The voltages all look pretty good except R31 and R32, as mentioned above.

Thanks.

-stu