LX-mini Crossover Article

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Pa

I’ve been using a B5 for a while with my fullrange front horns and dipole bass panels.

I’ve got the itch to play with more horns.

I want to try converting one pair of my horns to midbass duty and add a set of Edgar horns for about 800Hz and up. Depending on which driver I like better I may also have to fill in the top end with a super tweeter.

I would think I would accomplish the last bit with a 1st or 2nd order passive filter, albeit series as I want to use my F2J amps for the Edgars and anything above that I might want to add.

I’m currently putting an order in at the DIYstore and I’ve been thinking of just buying an ACN basic kit and feeding the high pass of the B5 into that to manage the top end.

I read back over the last several pages and saw you sent over a new crossover design that everyone is biting their nails over.

I think I read it would allow for 3 way designs and steeper slopes?

Would it be prudent for me to wait for the new design as well?

I’m just wondering given my application if there are major advantages with the new design that I would be missing out on?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You might imagine that stay-at-home policies would improve my productivity.

Forget it - I was already almost a hermit.

I should have put more work into that time machine when I was young.

However...

I have finished another diy crossover which does not replace the existing
offering, which was designed to do B5 and LX-mini type applications and
I expect will remain available.

The new one is a similar biamp but with no EQ and selectable 6,12,18,24
dB/octave slopes which are adjustable for +/- 1 octave around a center
frequency which is determined by the value of the capacitors.

Assuming that all filters have the same center frequency, they all use
the same cap values, which makes life easier in purchasing and stuffing.

All that's needed at this time is the documentation which will be finished
very shortly, and it's going straight to the store as a board with Jfets.
I'm sure that "completion kits" similar to the existing crossover will also
be offered.

:snail:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry if it took you away from something.

So, regardless which I chose, for now I would still want the B5 for the bottom to feed a signal to a second board if I want to go 3 way.

The new board will offer curve options and an octave of adjustment on the fly with no EQ.

Since I’m not sure how I would bypass the low frequency EQ mentioned in the article related to the currently available LX/ACN I suppose it’s better to wait patiently for the new design.

Thanks for all your time and generosity Pa. Stay safe and healthy.

Matched jfet source?

It seems inventory management in the diyAudio store is less than perfect - last week I received an invoice for the very last ACN kit only to find out today that they were already sold out and I won't be receiving one.

In the mean time I bought much of the speaker hardware, plus a chassis, so I'm fairly committed to the project at this point.

It looks like Nelson put all the XO details in the article and I don't mind building on proto-board, but I'm at a loss on where to find 16 matched jfets. Is any one aware of any sources?

(I'm not interested in paying for that many Linear System parts from the diyAudio store.)

Short of finding a ready source, how big of a population do you need to match from for this application? Is the Hfe tester on my multimeter adequate?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm very sorry about that. We're going to try our best to work something out for you and I'll be handling your helpdesk ticket personally. I know how painful it is to buy all the other stuff that's needed for a project and then find out it's unavailable.

For that reason, we are usually are very careful about inventory quantities and take a two prong approach to ensuring this doesn't happen. Firstly we have scripts in place that scrape inventory data daily from the warehouse to double check for any stocktaking errors/breakages/shrinkage. Secondly we usually leave a couple of units of things unavailable for sale just in case of an error like this, or in case a package is sent and lost and someone is relying on that part and needs a replacement.

I'll be in touch with you by email shortly.

Hello Everybody: I'm interested in a 'ACN' cross-over network (for other/ or alternate) loudspeakers. It (ACN) would serve as subwoofer x-over ONLY: 45/50/55 Hz. LP/HP.

I'm new to all this (yet an old-dog audiophile), so am not sure whether to post here ?
If someone has one for sale -or can build one for me- I'd be very interested to speak with you ! (Im in Ontario, Canada)

Thank you,

peter

It seems inventory management in the diyAudio store is less than perfect - last week I received an invoice for the very last ACN kit only to find out today that they were already sold out and I won't be receiving one.

In the mean time I bought much of the speaker hardware, plus a chassis, so I'm fairly committed to the project at this point.

It looks like Nelson put all the XO details in the article and I don't mind building on proto-board, but I'm at a loss on where to find 16 matched jfets. Is any one aware of any sources?

(I'm not interested in paying for that many Linear System parts from the diyAudio store.)

Short of finding a ready source, how big of a population do you need to match from for this application? Is the Hfe tester on my multimeter adequate?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can get matched Toshiba 2SJ74 + 2SK170 pairs from eBay seller punkydawgs. These would probably work fine in the crossover. (Perhaps Papa can comment on any needed resistor changes). While expensive, he provides good, fast service. He also sells unmatched devices for less money so you could do your own matching.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am informed that they have the ACN essentials, but not the tuning kits.

Some tuning kits for the LX-mini are in process.

The ACN board uses J113 Jfets, which have a different pinout than the Toshiba
or LS parts. The Jfets are selected for Idss and have bias resistors on the current
sources to set the current at a slightly lower figure. Tight matching is not required -
1 mA is adequate.

Prayer's answered !

Forget it - I was already almost a hermit.

I should have put more work into that time machine when I was young.

However...

The new one is a similar biamp but with no EQ and selectable 6,12,18,24
dB/octave slopes which are adjustable for +/- 1 octave around a center
frequency which is determined by the value of the capacitors.

Assuming that all filters have the same center frequency, they all use
the same cap values, which makes life easier in purchasing and stuffing.

All that's needed at this time is the documentation which will be finished
very shortly, and it's going straight to the store as a board with Jfets.
I'm sure that "completion kits" similar to the existing crossover will also
be offered.

NP: Always comes through as if reading one's mind/wishes. Excellent.
Thank you. Can't wait: 'Board with jfets' it is !

Thank you,

pj

New crossover

Fantastic ! Exactly what I need. Going to order two for balanced operation. The dbx 223xs I'm temporarily using noticeably degrades the sound quality of my Pass Int 250. Can't wait for the new crossover..
Thanks Nelson !

Phu, finally managed to read through this thread. Some of the posts don't effect me right now, as far as I know.
But looks like we are waiting for the newer XO and I have some time. Have a few commitments this year including starting on my amps for my upcoming active 3-way loudspeaker.
Considering Aleph J for the tweeter and midrange and a class AB for the woofer.

I will probably start with a MiniDSP 2x4HD to find the correct response before simulating the values for the ACN filter.

I'm so happy this thread exist and that Papa was willing to share.

Just wanted to drop by and say hello. Will follow the development of this thread :)