The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Congratulations Bones13! It's great to hear your IPS7 build went together smoothly, and I'm thrilled that you really like the way they sound. Member pfarrell absolutely loved these cards too (review in #3494 of this thread). He installed OPA134s in his IPS7s, while you installed LM4562s, and both of you were happy with the sound. I think that's terrific news; it suggests that builders may not need to horse around, swapping in lots of different opamp types, to get delightful results.

Good on Ya! Best wishes for similar or greater success, on your IPS6 build!

Mark

For the sake of conversation...........how many OPA134s do I need for the IP7 boards? Based on the pic it's a single for each board.

Regards,
Dan ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Simple answer: the IPS7 board will accommodate 1 OpAmp chip at a time. You can choose single OpAmp Chips, or dual. The single, and dual channel opamps go in different sockets on the boards.

Don’t fill both sockets at the same time.

I still use the Sparkos dual , as the dual socket allows the bulky thing to fit. The single socket is close to a cap, which blocks bulky units.

From my looking at the schematic, the circuit only uses only of the OpAmp circuits in a dual OpAmp. So, choosing any OpAmp should be decided by the sound signature only, there is no implied advantage of dual over single, as only a single OpAmp is used. Fitment issues plays a role in choice if you are picking one of the discrete build OpAmp units. (Burson, Sparkos, and others)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Simple answer: the IPS7 board will accommodate 1 OpAmp chip at a time. You can choose single OpAmp Chips, or dual. The single, and dual channel opamps go in different sockets on the boards.

Don’t fill both sockets at the same time.

I still use the Sparkos dual , as the dual socket allows the bulky thing to fit. The single socket is close to a cap, which blocks bulky units.

From my looking at the schematic, the circuit only uses only of the OpAmp circuits in a dual OpAmp. So, choosing any OpAmp should be decided by the sound signature only, there is no implied advantage of dual over single, as only a single OpAmp is used. Fitment issues plays a role in choice if you are picking one of the discrete build OpAmp units. (Burson, Sparkos, and others)

Many thanks for the clarification. :D

Joined 2018
Paid Member
After a successful BA2018 build I've gathered almost all of the parts to start building an M2x but have a question regarding the power supply. I have the store universal power supply boards assembled and operating fine, but I still need to get the correct supply transformer. I have a spare Antek AS4224 lying around but not sure if the final voltage under load (estimate around 31 - 32 Vdc ??) will be too much.

Do you think this transformer will be ok, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new AS3218?

IMO neither will work. The 4224 will require smart PS and you will need to dissipate 100W to bring the voltage down to 24-0-24. The 3218 will settle too much under load and you'll end up with 22-o-22 clean DC at the amp under full on conditions which is far from ideal, a 400VA antek 18-0-18 (whatever the model number is) may work and get you to 23-0-23 a 500VA would be better.
The larger the transformer the further away you will want it from the EDCOR.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I put an Antek AS-4218 in my own M2x: 400VA , 2 x 18VAC secondaries. I would have preferred to buy their 3218 (300VA model) instead, but it was temporarily out of stock when I placed my order in Jan 2018. So I paid more money and got the 400VA transformer they could ship the next day. Instant Gratification! I'm confident the 3218 would have been just as good.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I’d suggest the AS-3218 as well. Factory-built firstwatt amplifiers have 300VA transformers.

Bigger is not actually better in these power supplies, and for an amplifier with 50w of total output power, having a 300W transformer is already generously oversized.

Last edited:
Seeking (1) PCB for IPS 7

All:

I have received the 3 PCBs for IPS7, and am building those now. I am seeking one more IPS7 board. I have all of the other IPS boards that came with the M2X, save the Ishikawas (I am using those). Would anyone have an extra IPS7 they are not using, and/or would like to trade for some of the other M2X IPS boards?

Kinda like trading cards, I suppose.

I am building a pair of M2X amps for biamp purposes, and so have 3 of the four IPS7 cards needed to make that goal.

If interested, please contact me off list-

-M

Thanks!

Wow!

What makes this list so great, and so helpful: I posted my interest in obtaining one more IPS7, and got three PM responses within minutes.

Due to the kindness of one our list's most senior members (and the offers of yet others), I have found the board I am seeking.

Thanks to all who took note and responded- I am grateful to all for your having taken an interest in this.

-M

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Great news. You got yours sorted before I could get on to post. Mark Johnson gifted many of us with 3 boards, so there are a few free cards out there, assuming most could get the build done right with the first 2. Also, from my experience getting other cards made from gerbers, the minimum number from the fab house I used was 5, so there are probably more.

Good luck with your build(s)