The diyAudio First Watt M2x

This is what the noise looks like. Output loaded dummy load and shorted inputs with Ishikawa DB. Does it look good? Is my setup oscilloscope correctly? IMG_20210102_201047.jpg IMG_20210102_201036.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I am right that the Norwood cant work as buffer / follower only and must be a Gain-Norwood when used in F6 circuit because the feedback from transformer would cause stability problems?

You can feed the F6 with a buffer Norwood if you like, that will present no issues. Of course, buffer Norwood has no gain.

If you use gain Norwood the new (Norwood) PCB will have to reference ground and the rest of the layout as such with that in mind. Set it to whatever gain you wish.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you [design a new inspired-by-Norwood PCB, it] will have to reference ground and the rest of the layout as such with that in mind. Set it to whatever gain you wish.

You will also have to introspect deeply into your soul! You will have to choose a range of Ccomp1 capacitance values to install in multiple prototype board (pairs), so that you can choose the optimum Ccomp1 value empirically, by listening evaluations. Change the gain, change the Ccomp1. As the night follows the day.

_

Attachments

• there_it_is.png
    there_it_is.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 391
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You will also have to introspect deeply into your soul! You will have to choose a range of Ccomp1 capacitance values to install in multiple prototype board (pairs), so that you can choose the optimum Ccomp1 value empirically, by listening evaluations. Change the gain, change the Ccomp1. As the night follows the day.

_

Thanks for bringing this up. The AD744 datasheet includes values for Ccomp for different gains and capacitive loads. These should be a start value for experimenting with.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Kind of yes, but not necessarily. You just need to have fewer ohms in general on that node, since you can't turn it down any further.

Ok, I think I know why the trimpot for A channel didn't work. I've researched but I'm still unsure if trimpots have polarity? If they do, then mine was the reverse of the A board as shown in #2 posting.

I have the 20K pots and plan to put them in tomorrow.

Appreciate the clarification.

Attachments

• Channel A from post 2.png
    Channel A from post 2.png
    269.2 KB · Views: 307
  • channel A old trimpot position .jpg
    channel A old trimpot position .jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 310
Ok, I think I know why the trimpot for A channel didn't work. I've researched but I'm still unsure if trimpots have polarity? If they do, then mine was the reverse of the A board as shown in #2 posting.

I have the 20K pots and plan to put them in tomorrow.

Appreciate the clarification.

As MEPER says.
Pots have no polarity, fitting them this or that way only changes the direction that you have to turn the little screw on the top, CW or CCW.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
You can look up in data sheet and check if center pin is the wiper which it usually is and if PCB layout also expects wiper to be the center pin then the only change by reverse the pot is which direction you need to turn to adjust the offset in a specific direction. E.g. look at this data sheet (which is for a Bourns type):
https://docs.rs-online.com/d700/0900766b8069ccf4.pdf

Thanks. I did look at this data sheet, but I wasn't able to sort that out.

Hi! Does MOSFETS (IRFP240 and IRFP9240) for M2X have to be matched?

Recently I bought transistor sets for my upcoming F5 and Aleph J builds from diyAudio store where both JFETS and MOSFETS are mached. But when I was building my M2X I just bought MOSFETS from Mouser (I bought matchet JFET then, but did not build Ishikawa - saved them for F5 build). My M2X is fine, but I just wonder if it would be even bettter if MOSFETS are matched? Or is this not relevant for M2X?

Both in this thread and M2, I saw that there is no need to matched mosfets. They are not a complementary pair. I just remember that some people changed to 2sk1530/ 2sj201(I don't know what differences to expect then) or used unobtained versions of Harris or Fairchaild.
Myself, I used irp9240 Harris.