Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2020, 02:31 AM   #2761
consecrator is offline consecrator  United States
diyAudio Member

Finished my Whammy. I likes it. I'm surprised at the gainz, and it's dead silent.

I'm going from a DAC (topping d90, arrived today) into the whammy into an F6 and it's much louder than it was with the focusrite scarlett I was using as combo dac+pre before. I'm using the RC4580 chip right now and I have an LM833 and a MUSES01 to swap in as experiments. I went with 15V rails for a wide compatibility with many op-amps.

I'm considering adding a switch to flip between high-gain and low-gain modes by connecting different R values for R4/R8 to it. I'm wondering if that's the kind of thing you can do while it's running or if you need to turn the unit off first.
Old 6th August 2020, 02:35 AM   #2762
Audiobear is offline Audiobear  United States
diyAudio Member

At first read I thought you meant make the modification without turning off the Whammy. I thought to myself that you better be standing on a rubber mat.

You should be able to switch from high to low or low to high on the fly. It's less of a change than throwing the on-off switch. But then I'm no EE and it's your gear.
Old 6th August 2020, 03:04 AM   #2763
consecrator is offline consecrator  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobear View Post
At first read I thought you meant make the modification without turning off the Whammy. I thought to myself that you better be standing on a rubber mat.

You should be able to switch from high to low or low to high on the fly. It's less of a change than throwing the on-off switch. But then I'm no EE and it's your gear.
I'm teaching the neighbor kid how to solder. He won't know any better. This should be hilarious.

But seriously, if it melts I'll just build another one.
Old 6th August 2020, 02:17 PM   #2764
thomasnadeau is offline thomasnadeau
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovas View Post
Does the bypass cap for the optocoupler affect the noise floor? I just built a 2nd whammy and it has a loud white hiss. The only deviation from the schematic is c13 and here i used a 2.2uf elcap (correct polarity) instead of 0.1uf film. well, also the gain resistor values are slightly lower- 2.2k and 800ohm but i dont think that should cause any issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 picoDumbs View Post
It can do both.
Try small values.
Don't solder them just touch the cap leads across the resistor leads while looking at the square wave response.
Once you find the cap value that gives you the response you like then solder in.
Exactly what I was going to suggest - or clip on some clip leads and experiment . The values specified generally work for any OpAmps in the loop, but YMMV depending on the specific one you choose for your liking. I've done this also with different types/brands of caps and not only measured but listened to the results.
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM   #2765
rich1051414 is offline rich1051414
diyAudio Member

Speaking of optocouplers, what exactly is the difference between the white and black package optocouplers? I didn't think there was a difference, but I have learned since that the specifications are usually different. I used white package in my whammy and never had an issue, but would like to know.
  Reply to this post

"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guideHide this!Advertise here!